Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Likeihood of another episiotomy? Lock Rss

I'm only 12 weeks pregnant but already I am starting to think about the birth so that I am in the right frame of mind and have all the confidence in the world (which I believe is what I lacked the first time)! I had an episiotomy with my first baby and I'm wondering whether that may cause a greater chance of needing one again (or tearing)?

Mum to Caitlin & Owain

Hi Paula,
With both my births i had an epistomony, my second bub was bigger though. I think its better to be cut then tear if you have an option. Don't worry when the time comes you won't care about it much, just on getting bub out!!! Good luck
I had an episiotomy with my first to allow a forceps delivery. With the second I did not require an episiotomy but I did tear and required stitches. (second bubs weighed 10lb).

For me it was a lot easier to recover from the tear.

Some mums are lucky enough to not have either of them! I'm hoping that third time will be lucky for me and I won't require any stitches.

Good luck

Personally I would rather try and heal from a c/s rather than tear or have an episiotomy. I had an 8 pound 11 ounce baby which for me is huge because I was only a small person so I had an emergency c/s. I would have torn right up to my nostrils!! The thought of loss of bladder control, and stitches down there freaks me out alot more than a c/s. This baby will definately be another c/s too.

From my own personal experience, I had an episiotomy for my first child and it took weeks to heal and was very uncomfortable and require a lot of stitiches. For my second I refused an episiotomy and pushed his head out with no tear at all but the little bugger thought otherwise and tore me with his shoulder as he came out. The tear was a lot less than the episiotomy and required only a few stitches and healed within 5-7 days. Myself I will be refusing again to have an episiotomy with my third as tearing for me was the better option. Episiotomies are really only needed in emergency situations. I felt neither the episiotomy or the tear when they occured.

Cheers
Jo
Sign in to follow this topic