Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

How long? Lock Rss

i was just wondering how long do you stay in hospital after having a natural birth??? coz the geelong hospital info they gave me says if everything goes fine then only 4 hours and im thinking wow thats like soon!
i know they sent one of my friends home after 4 hours and she gave birth on her kitchen floor.
when i had my twins it was 2 days for natural and 3-4 for c-section!

i was just wondering how long do you stay in hospital after having a natural birth??? coz the geelong hospital info they gave me says if everything goes fine then only 4 hours and im thinking wow thats like soon!
i know they sent one of my friends home after 4 hours and she gave birth on her kitchen floor.

As far as I know the minimum to stay is 4hours but you can choose to saty in longer. The people you know could have chosen to go home 4hrs after the birth.
as long as you want, just use your assertiveness. I had DS1 on thursday night and went home saturday (only because they wouldnt let me go home on friday, I had been in hospital for the week prior and was over it!) With DS2 I had him at 2.30am and went home at 3pm, nhad a better sleep at home than I would have in the hospital. But dont go until you are comfortable to.
hey there

I agree with a pp - use your assertiveness, if your not ready to go then dont. A lot of people think the public system 'push' you out (which perhaps some do) but in the case of my hospital, its a minimum 6 hrs stay and then you can choose to go home when you like. Yes they may say to you 'you are ready to go home now' but on both occasions for me I simply told them I was not ready to go and they dont insist you go if your sitting there almost in tears or something.
Just make sure if your not ready, you stay!

good luck!!
at my hossy you have to stay 4hrs but then can leave the midwives come out and visit you at home till bub is 7 days old.

I stayed 2 days with ds and 3 days with dd. was ready to go after 1 night but was waiting on blood test for her.

i''''m baking a baby

my hospital was a minumim of a 6 hr stay. I wanted to go home then but that wass 11:30pm, so they advised me to stay over night. i left at lunch time next day. and went home for a good sleep.

Two beautiful girls, hubby working from home makes one happy mumma smile
[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb2f.lilypie.com...]

Hi,

At my old local hospital, the minimum is 6 hrs stay after giving birth and then 2-3 days for a natural delivery. C/sections are 4 - 5 days.

I ended up staying in for 4 days with DD1 as we had a few feeding problems and my BP mysteriously decided to shoot up 2 days after giving birth.

With DD2, I stayed 2 days and plan on that again for this one.

Every hospital is different though and if you have issues with your discharge date just speak to the midwives, Dr etc as I'm sure they won't just throw you out before you're ready to go home. smile

Hi there,

Yes, I think minimum stay is 4-6 hours, hospital will not let you leave until doctor has checked baby etc. I am in a birth centre for baby #5 and I have to be out after 4 hours. Stayed 5 days with #1 and 5 days with #2, and half a day with the last two babies. If you want to go home after 6 hours, insist on it, it is your choice. If you want to stay longer, do the same. Good luck!

I had DS at 4pm on the Wed and at 7am on thur they asked me if I wanted to go home! lol I said no, I planned to stay until Friday.

They won't kick you out unless they are DESPERATE for the beds. Thing to know is that you have to do certain checks of the baby within the first 24-48 hours so if you are checked out early you have to go to the docs to get it done!

I recommend that EVERYONE stay at least a full 24 hours for their first at least. It's all so new that it is a comfort to have a midwife close by to ask questions of without having to talk on the phone!
Ive had my 2 private so 4 nights for natural, 5 for c/s - i've had one of each but stayed an extra night both times.

from what ive heard here public is 2 days for natural

4 hours is crazy! how do you learn to care and bf especially if it was your 1st??

stand your ground and stay as long as you can and rest up because when you get home you will have 3 kids to looks after!
DS1 from what I remember was a 4hour min stay. I wanted to leave first thing in the morning (he was born 10.20pm) but had to wait for a doctor to give us the all clear which took 6hours!! Once we got home a midwife came and saw us for 2 days after that at home.

DS2 was born at home.

my first i stayed for 3 days
my 2nd i stayed 8 hours
now with 3rd im at a diffrent hosp but your allowd 4 days nat birth
6 days c/s
i probley stay couple days with this one.

Sign in to follow this topic