Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Labour and Birth
  5. Modesty During and After giving Birth - May Contain Adult Themes!

Modesty During and After giving Birth - May Contain Adult Themes! Lock Rss

I now have a story!!! I was nude! Thats was about as bad as it got in labour, but afterwards......oh dear! I had an emergancy c section....the worst part was when the ob came into take my tape off and told me to hold my guts up (pretty flubby guts!) and then had to air it with my pants down...and then...........IN WALKS THE LUNCH LADY!!! oh dear god! the poor woman copped an eye full! I have hopeflly reclaimed my diginity!!

Oh and milking by the nurses.....fun times, seriously would it hurt to warm their hands!!

Firast timers, it can be bad, but you wont know till you go through it!
Lol! Great thread. All I can say is that when you go in to have a baby, check your modesty at the hospital door! I had two c-sections and there is at least a dozen people in the room while your on your back, nude, legs all over the place. Then, after sugery, the midwife helping you have a shower, dress, put your maternity pad on (then checking your flow later and changing pads). Your boobs seem to become public property and being asked questions such as "have you passed wind/had a bowel motion" are asked regularly!

BTW - the bleeding after birth, with both my bubs, took 7 weeks to stop!

Oh yes, having a baby is messy work! Just as well we get a beautiful little bundle of joy to take our minds off it smile
I have tears running down my face from reading this thread...hilarious.

I probably wouldn't class any part of my labour as cringe worthy embarrassing but I surprised myself with how much I didn't care about after a while. Some things I do remember are:

1. I was leaning over the gym ball sucking on the gas when I rolled back too far and ripped the gas out of the wall then proceeded to scream at DH "Plug it back in, Plug it back in". I wasn't worried about breaking anything, I was just worried the gas would wear off.

2. While still on the gym ball I was so high I stopped rolling back and forth and rolled side to side then vomited all over the ball and floor and just got up and walked away.

3. I peed a little during some contractions.

4. At one stage I could hear a horrible grunting, groaning noise and was then mortified when I realised it was me and wouldn't stop apologising to the midwife whenever she came in.

5. I was all prepared with my birthing shirt but ended up naked except for socks. After I had given birth I did the nude walk to the shower.

6. I did the spread eagle thing in the stirrups while getting my second degree tear stitched up.

7. Had the side stitches check by the nurse at home.

8. When DS was a week old we went out and I couldn't find a toilet quick enough and ended up peeing myself. Luckily I was wearing 2 maternity pads so no one was the wiser. Needless to say I made sure I did plenty of pelvic floor exercises after that.

The worst thing was at my 6 week check up, having to let the doctor back down there. I could only imagine the mess and after everything I had been through I didn't want anyone near it. Also when they check your breast they don't just look, they want to have a squeeze too.

It's so true that no one tells you the really embarrassing stuff but honestly after a while you don't care and no matter what you do the doctors and midwives have probably already seen it or seen worse.
awesome thread !! im 38 weeks with my first and gotten me a bit lighter reading all of your posts !!
quick question and its going to sound stupid but with the ever growing belly and not being able to see my feet or anything below my belly was wondering about what people do about hair !! lol . im struggling to keep neat and tidy down there looking more like a forrest then anything and to embarresed to go have a wax cause im feeling so huge lol . wondering what some people do to have it presentable before the impending labor ???
thanks alot!

I actually agree with the advice. I just had DS 3 weeks ago, baby number 2. And this time i had the epidural but i could still move my legs and i could feel the contractions. I had a button to press if i needed more pain relief. I liked this so much better than not feeling anything at all. When the head crowned, the midwife told me to stop and do little pushes, about 20 little pushes and his head was out, and then one big push for the body. I only got a graze and recovery had been excellent. I went home that night. So much happier with this birth, than last birth. All the best. It's not as bad as it sounds. tongue

I had the same epidural as you second time around where u squeezed it yourself and also found it to be much better and only had a graze and much better recovery and happier birth experience, with DD i had an Episotomy and Vaccume extract and it was very horrific labor & birth with alot of blood loss and terrible recovery in comparrison.

awesome thread !! im 38 weeks with my first and gotten me a bit lighter reading all of your posts !!
quick question and its going to sound stupid but with the ever growing belly and not being able to see my feet or anything below my belly was wondering about what people do about hair !! lol . im struggling to keep neat and tidy down there looking more like a forrest then anything and to embarresed to go have a wax cause im feeling so huge lol . wondering what some people do to have it presentable before the impending labor ???
thanks alot!

LOL I felt the same as you,they dont care though so dont worry to much.
I just did the best i could when i was in teh shower before going to the hospital, after birth i had a lookand dont think i did to bad a job tongue LOL
My first midwife greeted us at the door to the maternity ward with "drop your knickers and dignity at the door and collect them on the way out".....it was soooo true.

thanks alot!

So not a stupid question - just another thing people don't talk about before birth. Once I got too big to shave I started getting a wax. The beauticians don't care and mine actually said they were doing alot of pregnant women.

Otherwise you can use a mirror and try and take care of it yourself. Or get your partner to have a go, if you trust him enough.

If that all fails don't worry about it.
There is so much stuff in this topic that hadn't even crossed my mind (and a lot i was to embarassed to ask) so glad I found it smile
haha wow.... shock horror and laughs!!

im 3 weeks away, and I knew about the toothpaste effect, but yes very interesting about the rest!

I thought i was semi prepared having had gallbladder surgery, a D&C and a colonoscopy before.. but I gguesss not!

One thing thats really not making me very happy about reading these was about docs/mw's milking yourselves... if someone attempts that on me i'll turn around to them and tell them to do it on themselves so I can learn from watching - im finding it hard enough coming to terms of loosing my breasts from a sexual thing to breast feeding thing.. no waaaay am I going to be milked!

Thanks everyone for having the guts to post on here! for us FTM's this information makes us feel much more prepared!
Some of these stories are so funny....

I had a very good labour (according to my ob), no stitches, only mild grazing. My only problem was my low milk supply and the fact DD wouldn't attach properly. So the nurses would "milk" me and then using a tiny 1ml syringe, suck off the milk. I got DF to help me on one occasion and well, lets just say he got that damn syringe too close and nearly got my whole nipple sucked up that damn syringe! I tell you what, I was wishing for a vacuum cleaner that do so he could see how it felt getting your 'special' bits sucked up a tube! LOL
This thread has been great reading! And its kept my mind off my aching back. tongue
I'm four weeks off having my first bub, and this thread is helping me prepare as much as anything!

My partner walked in and had a look at what I was reading, went a little pale and said "And you're okay with that happening to you??"
I'm not okay, but I'm ready. I'd go through hell and back to hold my baby in my arms.

I overheat very easily, so i know I'll be nude before long. I'll be op-shopping for some xxxxl cotton button up men's shirts to wear, should dignity ever resurface.

I might force my partner to read this, so he knows what horrors he'll have to witness.
ok so after all of this can i please ask you all must have views... best way to give birth? and drugs or no drugs? help!!
Sign in to follow this topic