Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Labour and Birth
  5. Does having a small baby and short labour make the bith process less painful?

Does having a small baby and short labour make the bith process less painful? Rss

I keep getting these passing comments from my sister in law and huband's friend's wives saying that their labour was/will be harder than mine was - not outrightly saying it but implying that their birth was more of an achievement than mine was as theirs would have been more painful.

I'm not wanting pity or everyone to say how wonderful I am, and I know I was lucky, but am I not right to feel proud that I gave birth to my child? Sure enough he was small at 3pounds 12ounces, born at 32 weeks, and I had a very fast labour for a first birth with no tearing, was induced at 7am (waters broken and syntocinon), son was pushed out by 8.50am. As stupid as this sounds, the sense of achievement I felt after giving birth could be compared to being the first woman in the world to give birth!!

I am in no way complaining about the fact that I had it easy, and if I could choose my next labour I would ask for the same - but is the labour pain felt of a similar pain level no matter whether the child is big or small? The way people talk to me it's as if I didn't feel a thing because he was so small and labour was fast.

In reality I was screaming for the epidural (which I couldn't get because I was already too far into labour) while on the gas so to me the pain was already way above my personal threshold. I remember reading somewhere that labour, no matter whether the baby is large or small, the pain of contractions is still the same - is that true (no one I tell believes me as I can't remember the source).

Does having a small baby and short labour make the bith process less painful?

I keep getting these passing comments from my sister in law and huband's friend's wives saying that their labour was/will be harder than mine was - not outrightly saying it but implying that their birth was more of an achievement than mine was as theirs would have been more painful.

I'm not wanting pity or everyone to say how wonderful I am, and I know I was lucky, but am I not right to feel proud that I gave birth to my child? Sure enough he was small at 3pounds 12ounces, born at 32 weeks, and I had a very fast labour for a first birth with no tearing, was induced at 7am (waters broken and syntocinon), son was pushed out by 8.50am. As stupid as this sounds, the sense of achievement I felt after giving birth could be compared to being the first woman in the world to give birth!!

I am in no way complaining about the fact that I had it easy, and if I could choose my next labour I would ask for the same - but is the labour pain felt of a similar pain level no matter whether the child is big or small? The way people talk to me it's as if I didn't feel a thing because he was so small and labour was fast.

In reality I was screaming for the epidural (which I couldn't get because I was already too far into labour) while on the gas so to me the pain was already way above my personal threshold. I remember reading somewhere that labour, no matter whether the baby is large or small, the pain of contractions is still the same - is that true (no one I tell believes me as I can't remember the source).

In theory yes but it all comes down to individual circumstances. DD1 was born 2.45kg, also at 32 weeks but was posterior so didn't come out terribly easily. The labour and birth were horrible and I was screaming that I wanted out for about 4 hours (out of 22 hours).

DD2's labour was around an hour and a half all up. It still hurt but it was all pretty bearable and I was so proud of what I had achieved in the end. At 3.45kg she was a much bigger baby than DD1 but the birth was about 10 times less stressful (well apart from making it to the hospital with only 6 minutes to spare).

In reality I don't think it is fair to judge someone else's birth and comment on the ease as we all deal with things differently. Glad to hear you had a pleasant experience, just ignore the unwanted remarks.
you should be so proud of yourself, having a baby with long or short labour is such an achievement.
my 1st baby was 7ponds 2ounces born at 38 weeks and the whole way though the labour i thought i was going to die. After 4 hours i had an epidural and had him 5 hours later.
i had a few woman make me feel like i didnt know what it was like to really have a baby because it wasnt natural.
2nd baby was 6pounds 4ounces and born at 38 1/2 weeks the labour was just as bad as the 1st but i knew what i was in for had her in 4hours drug free no gas nothing (i did want an epi but was too late). so to those woman that snubbed their noses up at me i did it, but still it was only 4hrs.
3rd baby born 41weeks drug free (also wanted an epi) lots and lots of pain 7pounds 12ounces, labour 38 mins and that was way to fast and painful.
my body went into shock my legs were bouncing off the bed for 2hrs, and she screamed for 3 days she was in shock too (my poor little baby). it still scares me.
either way how much pain your in its a great achievement and dont let anyone take that away from you.
I definately wouldn't say my small baby, short labour made it less painful!!! Though I've only had one so far, so can't compare it yet. DS was a small 6pd 8oz & my labour was 2hours & 42 minutes from start to finish. I, like you, wanted an epidural, but missed out because I was progressing too fast. And also like you, I felt invincible after giving birth! Was the best feeling in the world!! I agree with the others. Pain is very subjective & different for every single person. I don't believe it's something you can even compare with other people. You just be proud of what you've achieved & ignore everyone else. Giving birth isn't a competition anyway!! tongue

Next time you can point out that most of labour is your cervix dilating. Your baby goes nowhere at this point so size is irrelevant! Its not until after transition that your baby starts moving down where size or positioning can potentially make a difference. Its all about how you take it. I predict all the women that have made those comments to you will in their eyes, have "horror" births. They have already put themselves in a position of being a victim which leads nowhere.
You should be so proud of your achievement!! Not only did you birth your babe, you had the added stress of a premie along with it. You are a champ! Dont let anyone tell you otherwise.
Every labour & birth is different. Who is to say that any of them are more or less painfull than the next. Ignore all the silly people who have been saying otherwise, shame on them.
And by the way, you created & gave birth to a human being...that is an amazing achievement!

Wow, cant believe people would be so heartless. Try not to listen to these horrible comments, your birth is no less of an achievement than theirs.

Congrats on your bubba.
I would of thought majority of it relates to the mothers pain tolerance?
Not so much the size of bub or labour time? I dont know personally but my sister had a short labour (4 hours) with no complications and had an 8 pound boy but i know shes got a low pain threshold and she wished for more pain releif the whole time! I like to think ive got a high pain threshold and want to try and have no pain meds for my bubs birth. The size and length havent concerned me regarding pain at all.
Thats my theory anyway smile

(P.S Aslong as bub is healthy and all is well then who cares what your labour was like etc etc We all should be proud to be able to give birth and have babies smile lol good on ya x x x x)
I personally don't think the size of the baby makes too much of a difference as every labour/birth is different. If that theory was correct then my DS1 should have been my easiest labour as he was my smallest baby, but he and my DD were posterior which was just awful. DS2 was my biggest baby and easiest labour, so I guess you never really know what you're going to get until it happens, plus everyone has a different pain threshold. Just ignore all the "haters" who think they've achieved greatness by having difficult labours - they are just jealous (as am I a little). Well done you, and congratulations on the birth of your beautiful son.

nO WAY ... BOTH MINE WERE SMALL AND ADMITTEDLY i DID HAVE 'GOOD'LABOURS AND BIRTHS BUT I ALSO HAD 2 M/C IN BETWEEN IN WHICH I WAS TOLD BY MEDICAL PROFESSIONALS THAT IT WOULD BE ALOT MORE PAINFUL BECAUSE YOUR BODY DOESN'T HAVE AS BIGGER BABY TO PUSH AGAINST SO YOUR BODY HAS TO CONTRACT FURTHER WHICH CAUSES MORE PAIN ... ALSO IF YOUR BUBS WAS PRE-TERM YOUR BODY WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN READY FOR IT! SO REALLY, YOU'VE DONE A WONDERFUL JOB AND U SHOULD BE PROUD OF YOURSELF!!! grin
Sign in to follow this topic