Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Labour and Birth
  5. Dont know if i can go through Labour again!

Dont know if i can go through Labour again! Rss

Hi Everyone,

I am close to 20 weeks pregnant with my second baby, and labour is really on my mind.

With the birth of my first, i went into it with a really positive attitude, thinking i can do this!
Everything was going fine and i was having a active labour (i was about 13hrs into it) until my son's heart rate began to drop a little during contractions.
At this point the MW told me i must stay hooked up to the monitor and could not move off the bed, i just had to lay there on my back. I done this for another couple of hours and then i just could not cope with the pain and then i asked for an Epi if she would not let me move. The Epi slowed everything down and it did not seem to help with the pain! i keep asking her why it was not working and she assured me it was.

After about 3 more hours i was right to start pushing, then after 2 1/2 hours of pushing i felt like i was getting no where so i asked her to get me some help!
I ended up having the Vent-House Vacc used and my son was born within the next hour.

All this time i was supposed to be under the Epi but i could feel everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i had a very bad tear and when the Ob finished stiching me up i could feel it that much that i told him he missed a tear at the side and to his suprise i was right.

I wanted to have a drug free birth with my son but couldn't and i worry that if i could not cope last time and that was with an Epi in the end, then what will i do this time???
Gas is not a option for me as i get extremely sick from it.

I want to try a drug-free labour again but i am so scared!!!!!!!!!
My son was 9 pound and what if the next bub is bigger, i just don't know if i can do it........

I am after any advice, or any stories that might help.

What do should i do?

My son was also 14 days overdue, and i asked my Ob if i go over with this bub can i be induced on my EDD and he said No. (Public System)

Please help me, any advice would be greatfully appricated.

Sorry for such a long post

Cass
What you are feeling is very normal after what happened with your first labour. Talk to the midwives and ask them how they can help with the next labour to make it easier on you.

My labour with bub was way to long. I was in labour for 2 days and i tried to push him out for 90 minutes and i was told i need a c-section cause bub head couldn't fit threw my pelvis. So i ask one of the midwives the other week that when i have the next baby could i have another c-section and i remind her about the last one and she said Yes and that was music to my ears. Cause i'm scared of having another long labour and being told at the end i have to have a c-section.

So sit down with a midwives and ask them any question that you are concerned about and then you can decided what is best for you.

hope this is a reasuuring story for you.

my first labour was really bad, I had DH, my mum and my BF with me, and my mum said afterwoods that she never thought it could be so bad. My BF said she thought she had a tough labour, but nothing compared to what i went though.

My waters broke at about 8pm on monday night, called hospital, told to come straight in. Had contractions for about 18 hours before I was told i had to have a epi, this really upset me as I wanted drug free, i tried to say no, but was highly recommended i do. So, had the epi (not as bad as i thought it would be) but DH said it was not good to watch. After that, was all hooked up to a drip, monitor, and had so many doctors and midwives in the room, I didn't know what was going on. Tried to push for over 2 hours and nothing, bub started to get distressed and heartbeat was up and down, was getting prepped for c-sect and after about 25 hours after waters broke, i didn't care what they did. In the end, I had two drs arguing in front of me whether to go to theatre or try VB, he was posteria which was the problem. One dr said to the other, you have one go at getting him out, but lets try it in theatre in case anything goes wrong, and the other dr said no i'll try once here. He ended up being delivered with forcepts at 1am on wednesday 29hrs after my waters broke, bub had the most terrible brusing on his face, i had 3rd degree tears, took over an hour to stitch me up, took bub to special care for about 12 hours but got the all clear. In the end, a healthy baby boy and on his 1st birthday found out we were expecting again.

i was nervous about labour again, as you are, but thought, i did that and it can't get much harder, so i felt i was more prepared. As it turned out, DS2 was text book delivery, so text book that i had a trainee mid wife sit in the corner of the room while i was having contractions doing nothing, DH and I was having a conversation, interupted only by contractions, told her i felt like pushing, she called the mid wife in, a few pushes and he was out. could have done it at home by myself, within an hour of having him, i was up, showered and ready to go home, i stay 2 nights and couldn't wait to get home to DS1.

Don't be scared (easier said than done i know) and because it was so bad the first time, you are so much more prepared. I hope it is easier for you this time around, and try to think positive, you have done it before and got through it, you can do it again, and when you hold bub for the first time, it will be all worth it, however it happens.

Good luck and try to stay positive, it can be totally different the 2nd time around. Worrying will not change the outcome, only your state of mind.

Hi Everyone,

I am close to 20 weeks pregnant with my second baby, and labour is really on my mind.

With the birth of my first, i went into it with a really positive attitude, thinking i can do this!
Everything was going fine and i was having a active labour (i was about 13hrs into it) until my son's heart rate began to drop a little during contractions.
At this point the MW told me i must stay hooked up to the monitor and could not move off the bed, i just had to lay there on my back. I done this for another couple of hours and then i just could not cope with the pain and then i asked for an Epi if she would not let me move. The Epi slowed everything down and it did not seem to help with the pain! i keep asking her why it was not working and she assured me it was.

After about 3 more hours i was right to start pushing, then after 2 1/2 hours of pushing i felt like i was getting no where so i asked her to get me some help!
I ended up having the Vent-House Vacc used and my son was born within the next hour.

All this time i was supposed to be under the Epi but i could feel everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i had a very bad tear and when the Ob finished stiching me up i could feel it that much that i told him he missed a tear at the side and to his suprise i was right.

I wanted to have a drug free birth with my son but couldn't and i worry that if i could not cope last time and that was with an Epi in the end, then what will i do this time???
Gas is not a option for me as i get extremely sick from it.

I want to try a drug-free labour again but i am so scared!!!!!!!!!
My son was 9 pound and what if the next bub is bigger, i just don't know if i can do it........

I am after any advice, or any stories that might help.

What do should i do?

My son was also 14 days overdue, and i asked my Ob if i go over with this bub can i be induced on my EDD and he said No. (Public System)

Please help me, any advice would be greatfully appricated.

Sorry for such a long post

Cass

Hey darl whats your due date. We have a group for march 2011 mums. You should come and join us there if you are due in march, The ladies are lovely and are there to listen and offer good advice. We have started a fb group as well so if your interested just pm me.

[img]http://b2.lilypie.com/fpHsp9/.png[/img][img]h

I know how you feel. I was very worried about having #2 after my first birth experience. I was induced with #1 as my waters had broke and they wanted to get labour coming a long. I wish i said no. Being induced by the drip gave my lots of complications. My labour was probably 8 hours. But it was 8 hours of intense labour with no rest as you go into full on labour very quick when on the. Any way the used vacuum to help get bub out and in process had 3rd degree tear as doctor stuck her arms inside me (sorry tmi) to pull bub out.
So after number 1 iwas petrified of a bad birth. They tried to tell me i wouldn't be able to give birth to ababy that was bigger than #1. They tried to tell me i should have c-section. But i spoke to other doctors and they said my complications were probably casued by being induced.
Any way with #2 i had a stretch and sweep as i was a day overdue and my labour started that night. I had bubs next day about 5 hour labour just used gas as was already 8cms when got to hospital (wanted to stay at home as long as possible, as last time was strapped up to monitor and couldn't move). I found the gas helped me concentrate on breathing through contractions. They do just air if you have trouble with the gas. Bubs was 9 and a half pounds.
Now have to wait and see how it all goes with #3. as it gets closer i know i will fell nervous all over again. But it makes it easier after having a +ve birth.
Wishing you the best of luck on having a +ve birth experience

[img]http://b2.lilypie.com/fpHsp9/.png[/img][img]h

Go to your book store or library and get the book "Better birth" the Definitive guide to childbirth" by laareen newman and heather hancock.
This is my 2nd time round and i started to get scared about the 20 week mark too, but i got that book out and it really made me see birth as a postive even if it doesn't go to your plan the book says to write a 'birth plan' but dont write just what u want from a natural birth but if other things pop up like a c-section or induced or anything like that make sure u no all your options and choices and write it all down so when the big day comes u are ready for anything and instead of the midwifes or doc's telling YOU what to do u can tell them "well i want this cause i did my reseach and i want it done this way. The book said once u are in hospital u are no longer under your clock but the hospital's clock so u have to fit into there time. its a must read it covers everything u need to no about birth. i'm due in 2 weeks time and i have my birth plan ready and i have an opened mind and if anything goes wrong my husband or i can tell them what happenes next cause its all writen down.

Lesh82- i did pop onto the March 2011 forum a few weeks ago, and one of the girls told me to come onto the facebook site but i am not on facebook, so i have not been back on the due in march 2011 since.

I am so glad i started the topic, i am just so very scared, and it is great to know that other mum's out there have been through simular things.

I read some birth stories and they are so positive, and i just think OMG why did mine have to be so bad. I used to think i could handle pain but now i am not so sure!

Cass
Sorry but i need a bit of a vent!!!!

I was just trying to talk to my hubby about my fears regarding labour and the fact that i am going to bring it up at my next MW visit, and see if she can help me through them some how and his responce was
"WELL IT IS IN THERE AND IT IS GOING TO HAVE TO COME OUT, SO YOU HAVE TO GET OVER IT"
Not the kind of thing i wanted to hear, a bit of bloody support would be nice! (sorry to sound so negative i have just had a really bad day, and this has topped it off)

I do think that this is worrying me way to much though, i need to try and put my mind on something else.

Hope you are all having a better day than me.

Cheers
Hi there

I know it wont help me saying this but 2nd times can be so different to the first. I too didnt have the greatest of first time births with DS1, altho it was short (6 hrs) I spent half of that time in the second stage trying to push him out only to have a doc come in and ventouse him at the end.
When pregnant with DS2 I got nervous just hoping I would NOT have to have a ventouse delivery again, I asked nearly every mw I saw if they thought I would and all told me it was very unlikely that the second time you need that kind of help. this reassured me but still when I was ready to push for DS2's birth I have to admit I thought uh-oh BUT then I literally said to myself No, get down to business put your fears aside and focus on what you are here to do, with every push I did I visualised my baby coming down and out, there was a picture of a waterfall in my room which helped with the visualisation (lol) and I had read on here to think of it like a flower opening, which I also did.(as weird as that might sound it IS what helped me!) My mind was just 100% on pushing bub down and out, he was out within a half hour and about 4 pushes,completely natural, I couldnt believe it! lol
Soo there definitely IS hope.
Oh and my firstborn was almost 9lb and my second was 8lb 1 so mine actually got smaller.
This time around I have to admit I havent really even thought about the main event at all....well not yet anyway!

You'll be okay, you really will! All the best!
Thank you all so very much,
reading your stories does make me feel a little better about labour!

I too think i will try and stay at home for as long as possible this time around (we do live out of town, so maybe we should think about going into town to a motel when i go into labour and at least then hubby has got somewhere to go back to and have a shower as well and then i can wait until last minute to go to labour ward.)

I got the book 'Better Birth', so i will start to read it soon too.

I need to try and stay and think positive and i am sure things will be fine this time around (i hope)lol.

I am booked in for U/S tomorrow, so that is something to look forward too. Hopefully we will be able to find out wether we are having a boy or girl (very exciting)!!!!

Hope you are all well.

Cass
I just spent 1/2 an hour writing a reply only to have my stupid computer delete it!!!!!!!!!!!
GRRRRRRR
Sign in to follow this topic