Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Lyell McEwin Hospital Rss

Hi, has anyone had their baby at the Lyell Mc? Although I live 15 mins from WCH my designated hospital is the Lyell MC which is 1/2 hr away!?!
I went and had a look this week, and it looks lovely- has eased my worries about going there, but would love to find out other's opinions.
Thanks in advance.
Karen
hey,
that is the hospital im having my baby at. i haven't had a baby there before ( because this is my first smile ) but they midwifes are really nice and supportive and the rooms are so big and really nice. Ive had a few friends have their baby's there and they have all been more then happy with that hospital.

Im due in 4 weeks ill let you know what it is like after i have my girl smile
I had DD there and could not fault them in any way. I was in the birthing suite which means no pain relief and it was a huge room with a bath for water birthing. I also chose that method for my DD and will be doing the same for this pregnancy.

Where do you live LittleK, i am approx 15 mins from Lyell?

I had DD there and could not fault them in any way. I was in the birthing suite which means no pain relief and it was a huge room with a bath for water birthing. I also chose that method for my DD and will be doing the same for this pregnancy.

I love the size of their baths. i said to DP i want one of them in our house lol. Im a 15 min walk from the Lyell Mac. thinking about walking there when i go into labour.

Exactly the same here. Had my DS 2 at Lyell McEwin in the birthing suite with the huge room and bath. Midwives were lovely every visit but the only negative was that I got "kicked" out pretty quickly once I gave birth. I only stayed at hospital for 17 hours. They said I could have stayed a 2nd night but if someone went into labor I would have to be moved to a different room. I didn't feel like doing that so I thought I may as well go home. So yes that was a negative for me. Oh and I got lost a couple of times in that big hospital and late to my appointments but that was more funny than a negative aspect.
Never been there but know a few who have. The only bad thing i was told was having to leave early.
Is this in adelaide? i had my first in adelaides WCH and i loved it everyone was so nice, i had my own room and i was a public patient. They didn't seem to kick me out in a hurry i got to leave when i was ready, i think i stayed for 5 days all up. We lived only 10mins away from the Lyell McEwin but a friend of mine suggested the WCH. i wasn't referred there i just rang the clinic and they booked me in.
Dani and mummyplus2- Yes I'm in Adelaide. I live in Windsor Gardens, so it is a bit of a drive! I also got lost after the tour of Lyell Mc! Came out a different door to where we came in and had to walk around the hospital on the road until I found the carpark I parked in!! It was my first time there.

Snobs- Hope all goes well with your birth. good luck walking there! When I went into labour with DS1 I wasn't going anywhere- called DH from the floor of the shower to tell him that I was in labour! Couldn't even get off the floor by myself so laid there wrapped in a towel until he got home and got me dressed and into the car!
We lived in Hillcrest then, and had DS at Flinders Hospital (long story) so it was an agonising drive! We thought DS would be born in the car, but due to complications, wasn't born for another 14 hrs!

I love the birthing suites, but had an epi for DS1 and want the option for one again, so will have this bub in the normal delivery rooms- they look nice too, (DH can still stay overnight), then move to the ward- did that with DS1 and it was fine- stayed for 3 days.
I would strongly recommend going to WCH instead of Lyell McEwin. We were preg with our first baby last year went into labour 1day b4 due date. Our baby boy was born still a few hours later - the hospital staff had alot to do with finding out our baby went into distress and did nothing to help but also the aftermarth of the day was clearly the worst nightmare I could ever imagine. We had a lovelly big room on the labor ward but the whole day we were at the bottom of the list in terms of importance, constantly having to call out to staff several times before anyone would see us. In 6hours of being at the hospitalI had 1 internal examination & obs taken, pain medication was only checked every 2hours if we were lucky. When my family told nursing staff the labor wad progressing they didn't beleive them even though no staff had done any internal examination for hours. Just to top matters off I had to deliver my gorguz boy with only gas to help with the pain because no one had monitored me close enough by the time they realised our baby was going to be born it was too late!
I am sorry if this is TMI for some of you, I know other friends that have gone to WCH and they have had a great experience - I had asked to go to WCH but because I was in area of Lyell that was my only public hospital I had to choose. There is not a day that goes by that I don't wish I demanded more to get what I wanted.
My husband & I are now planing on starting our family again but this time we will definetly be going to a private hospital.

I would strongly recommend going to WCH instead of Lyell McEwin. We were preg with our first baby last year went into labour 1day b4 due date. Our baby boy was born still a few hours later - the hospital staff had alot to do with finding out our baby went into distress and did nothing to help but also the aftermarth of the day was clearly the worst nightmare I could ever imagine. We had a lovelly big room on the labor ward but the whole day we were at the bottom of the list in terms of importance, constantly having to call out to staff several times before anyone would see us. In 6hours of being at the hospitalI had 1 internal examination & obs taken, pain medication was only checked every 2hours if we were lucky. When my family told nursing staff the labor wad progressing they didn't beleive them even though no staff had done any internal examination for hours. Just to top matters off I had to deliver my gorguz boy with only gas to help with the pain because no one had monitored me close enough by the time they realised our baby was going to be born it was too late!
I am sorry if this is TMI for some of you, I know other friends that have gone to WCH and they have had a great experience - I had asked to go to WCH but because I was in area of Lyell that was my only public hospital I had to choose. There is not a day that goes by that I don't wish I demanded more to get what I wanted.
My husband & I are now planing on starting our family again but this time we will definetly be going to a private hospital.

Thank you for sharing your story. I am so very sorry and devasted for your loss.

My thoughts go out to you and your husband and fingers crossed you get a BFP soon xx
I had both my boys at the Lyell McEwin! First was an induction followed by an emergency C/S and second was a planned C/S! The hospital was lovely, the facilites were first class(compared to my SIL who paid a fortune for private and had nothing compared to us!) Most of the staff were nice but like every where you get midwives(generally older ones) that know better and upset me a bit! Oh and a nurse in theatre that would not want to come near me ever again!
I had private rooms both times and even had my own bathroon the second time! But I think this was because of the C/S!
I also had a short stay during my first pregnancy the only issue was being in a shared room with a crazy woman!
All in all it was a great hospital to have my boys in, I felt I was treated well and looked after brilliantly!
Hope this helps if you have any other question feel free to ask! smile
I just wanted to let you know about what can happen - you never really know it can happen to you until it does. I was so unaware of this could happen to me when I had such a great pregnancy but that is how life can take you by surprise - one day your preparing to meet your little one the next you have to prepare to say goodbye. I just want to make sure we all have a voice and know that if feel something isn't right demand it until they listen. You can hear good and bad at all hospitals, I know some ppl as well that they have had babies at Lyell and all went well but they had an uncomplicated labour - when it gets hard are the midwives and everyone going to do what it takes to save your baby? They sure didn't for me.

Sign in to follow this topic