Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Labour and Birth
  5. Drs breaking bones during childbirth

Drs breaking bones during childbirth Rss

I know of a couple who have had this done but didnt realise how much it happens now.
Read here.

OMG! Poor babies sad
I just heard this on the radio dropping kids to school, honestly made me cringe.

If the baby is that big it wont fit out without breaking its collar bone wouldnt it be in the best interest of mum & bub to have a CS?
This is medical negligence IMO. Just so wrong.

I just heard this on the radio dropping kids to school, honestly made me cringe.

If the baby is that big it wont fit out without breaking its collar bone wouldnt it be in the best interest of mum & bub to have a CS?

I agree i wouldn't want them to do this to my child i would rather a CS i guess it's mite be to late at the time as the baby is already though the birth connel and have no other option, but that's cruel in so many ways!

I agree i wouldn't want them to do this to my child i would rather a CS i guess it's mite be to late at the time as the baby is already though the birth connel and have no other option, but that's cruel in so many ways!

Yeah it says its usually an emergency situation. But... being OB's you would THINK they would have an idea the baby is so big via all the modern day technologies not too hard to check. And plan ahead for big babies... not risk all these emergencies getting stuck, limiting oxygen, risking brain damage or worse...
Glad my OB was sensible enough to order a CS for this exact reason.
That is horrible. Poor little babies. What a painful start to their lives.

The parents must feel terrible about it too, once they learn about it.

Just wrong. sad

Seeing as the risks of a c-section, especially in obese women are way higher than in the 'normal' population, I'd rather a baby with a couple of broken bones that will heal than potentially leave a baby without a mother....but that's me.

If I was obese I think that might encourage me to go on a diet before TTC!! Poor wee babies sad

Seeing as the risks of a c-section, especially in obese women are way higher than in the 'normal' population, I'd rather a baby with a couple of broken bones that will heal than potentially leave a baby without a mother....but that's me.

Guess, I just cant get past the thought of a brand new baby having to deal with the immense pain of broken bones... on purpose!! not accidentally caused from labor. Just breaks my heart. Id rather risk my health than harm my baby in any way.
Also guess it depends on how obese the woman is.
I wasn't overweight but my baby was 4.5kgs born by CS 21 days early, very glad my OB got her out when he did as she was growing at an unbelievable rate. (didn't have GD).
Firstly i fail to see how an obese mother affects the size of their bones.

Secondly, i would like to know how many cases of shoulder dystocia occur in women with restricted movement. Eg unable to get into ANY position. If you are prevented from moving around it isnt shoulder dystocia. Its bad positioning. Thats why drugs monitoring etc have more of an impact then people assume.

Perhaps before breaking bones or performing major surgery some lessons from traditional midwives might be in order. It still occurs. Just nowhere near as often.
well this happened to my DD and I. It was an emergency situation and I also tore right through sad Her collarbone healed within days and I honestly believe it was the right thing to do. If I had my time over again I'd still do the same. The recovery for both of us was heaps quicker than a CS and in fact DD may not have made it otherwise.

ETA- DD was 9lb 6oz and I was only 55kg before pregnancy

Im sorry im a little confused what does the mothers size have to do with this??

I am an obese woman, more so now than when I had DD but I was considered 'overweight' when I was pregnant with her, and she was a small bub, well not small but 7lb 4 so definitely not big. My bestfriends 16 year old sister was pregnant at the same time as me she was tiny and had a 9lb 9 baby!

Personally I would rather me have a c-section than have my newborns bones broken but thats me, what other people think is right for themselves and their bubs is absolutely their business smile
Sign in to follow this topic