Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Labour and Birth
  5. What did you do when it was 'time?

What did you do when it was 'time? Lock Rss

I still have a few months to go but I am a worrier when things are up in the air. My husband works 45 minute or so drive from where we live and and the hospital is another half hour. I don't really have anyone I feel I can ask if he's not about - since Dad died a few years back, Mum doesn't drive, no siblings and cousin/best friend recently moved to another state.

My Mum had a really quick labour so I'm worried about being alone and not being able to get to the hosp. especially when people talk about only have a 2 hour or 3 hour labour.
Hi there!
I have similar concerns, so you're not alone there!! My DH works just over 2 hrs from home (he stays there for 2 weeks at a time). If I go into labour while he is away his work is fine with him leaving and coming home straight away, regardless of the time, but I still worry that I'll be alone for all that time. My mum was similar to yours, her labour with me was only a couple of hours - are there ever similarities in this but?

I do however have my mum and brother only about 15-20 mins away, but I think I'd still panick if my DH wasn't here with me.
Scary huh. I agree with the pp, definitely talk to your hubby and work out a bit of a plan in advance. We've done that and it kind of settles me a little (for the moment haha). Maybe he has ideas as well smile
Hi there!
I have similar concerns, so you're not alone there!! My DH works just over 2 hrs from home (he stays there for 2 weeks at a time). If I go into labour while he is away his work is fine with him leaving and coming home straight away, regardless of the time, but I still worry that I'll be alone for all that time. My mum was similar to yours, her labour with me was only a couple of hours - are there ever similarities in this but?

I do however have my mum and brother only about 15-20 mins away, but I think I'd still panick if my DH wasn't here with me.
Scary huh. I agree with the pp, definitely talk to your hubby and work out a bit of a plan in advance. We've done that and it kind of settles me a little (for the moment haha). Maybe he has ideas as well smile
Give your hospital a call. I know the hospitals where I've lived have rooms for expecting mothers that live out of town.
It's funny the thought hadn't even crossed my mind that he might not be around to take me until he asked: 'what are you going to do if you go into labour and I'm not around?'

He suggested a couple of family members but many (like his family) don't live close to us, or are the kind of people you only really see at family events i.e. they are virtual strangers. i know blood it thicker than water but not when somebody else's car seats are involved. lol

It's such a personal thing and you really need someone you can trust.
If you get desperate and your partner isnt there on time, your best bet is to call an ambulance. At least then you have the next best people there to help you thru it if you have no other help! Good Luck, i hope you can sort something out!
Hi, try not to worry although I know that is easier said than done! I was the same as you, DF works about 45 mins from home and the hosp is about 30-45 mins away depending on traffic. The morning I went into labour I actually sent him to work as I figured it would be a while even if it was true labour. I ended up ringing him at like 9am asking him to come home. We still didn't head up to the hospital till about lunchtime, the MW's encourage you to stay at home as long as possible.

In the end it was the actual trip that was the worry! Bumpy roads when you're having contractions isn't that fun, and I couldn't get comfy as I couldn't put the seat back far enough due to the baby seat in the back lol.

So make mental note to take the 'real' car (our other one is a 74 VW Beetle) and make sure the baby seat is behind his seat. Got ya! wink

I think I just get worried because a read a lot about quick labour's which are like 3 hours (there is a forum topic around here somewhere one it).

I still have a few months to go but I am a worrier when things are up in the air. My husband works 45 minute or so drive from where we live and and the hospital is another half hour. I don't really have anyone I feel I can ask if he's not about - since Dad died a few years back, Mum doesn't drive, no siblings and cousin/best friend recently moved to another state.

My Mum had a really quick labour so I'm worried about being alone and not being able to get to the hosp. especially when people talk about only have a 2 hour or 3 hour labour.

Just breathe. I sat on the couch and watched TV for the 1st 3 hours of my labour! Once you go into labour, call your husband and tell him to come home. Simple as, no stress smile Good luck
I recently had my first baby and was determined to stay at home for as long as possible. Including the first stage of labour, I was having contractions for 36 hours. I ended up staying at home for the first 24 hours until I finally went to the hospital for the last 12 hours. My mum was 2 weeks late having me and had to be induced which was unsuccessful, and ended up having an emergency caesarean. I was 10 days early giving birth to my daughter, and gave birth naturally, so don't stress too much about your birth being like your mum's births.
Just try to relax about it and believe in yourself that it will all go fine smile

Good luck!

First we had Each Other, Then we had You, Now we have Everything

So make mental note to take the 'real' car (our other one is a 74 VW Beetle) and make sure the baby seat is behind his seat. Got ya! wink

I think I just get worried because a read a lot about quick labour's which are like 3 hours (there is a forum topic around here somewhere one it).

Lol exactly! And I'm pretty sure 3 hr labours aren't that common but I'm not an expert, I think first times are usually on the longer side?

I agree try not to stress. You may not be like your mum. I had to be induced with DS2 due to "failure to progress" and she had my sister naturally.
When you think your in labour call DH! And ambulances are there for a reason grin
With DS1 I was in labour all day, just thought they were braxton hicks. I dropped DH off at work and went to my mum's where things picked up fast. My aunty picked DH up and DS1 wasnt born till 12 hours later lol.
Sign in to follow this topic