Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

How were you induced? Lock Rss

Hi I have noticed most women who have been induced have had the gel to open the cervix. My experience was I had a balloon put in on a Sunday night (which they said would fall out around 12 hrs later mine fell about 3 hrs later) and the drip put in around 12.30pm the next day just wondering if anyone else had it done this way?
Hi,

thats really interesting - I never even knew there was an alternative to the gel.........shows how un-informed I am,

I had the gel with both my pregnancies.

Ang
DD was 13 days overdue so they broke my waters, because there was meconium in them, they put the drip up straight away, otherwise they were going to leave me to see what happened. So no gel here.
What does the balloon do? I vaguely recall having heard about it..

I had no gel or drip. At 10 days overdue, my waters were broken. Midwife set up monitor & said she'd be back in half hour to an hour to check how things looked & start a drip if need be. She came back about 45 mins later, checked the print outs, did an internal & started getting everything set up in a hurry lol. DS arrived 4 hrs later.
I had the gel after 36 hours with it in i went into labour and had DS 4 hours later. I have heard of the balloon no idea what it is though.

What does the balloon do? I vaguely recall having heard about it..

I had no gel or drip. At 10 days overdue, my waters were broken. Midwife set up monitor & said she'd be back in half hour to an hour to check how things looked & start a drip if need be. She came back about 45 mins later, checked the print outs, did an internal & started getting everything set up in a hurry lol. DS arrived 4 hrs later.

The balloon is like a water balloon which is 5cm long and 4cm wide in a oval/rectangle shape and is placed into the cervix opening and left untill it falls out usually around 10-12 hrs, mine fell after about 3 hrs if that.

Hi,

thats really interesting - I never even knew there was an alternative to the gel.........shows how un-informed I am,

I had the gel with both my pregnancies.

Ang

There is gel and balloons!? guess I am a bit more un-informed... :S
I had two lots of gel and it took about 9 hours for labour to start so really it was a fairly quick induction.... never really heard much about the balloon.

I had the balloon. I think your cervix has to be already a little open for them to put it in then it just helps it dialate a bit more before they break your waters. If your cervix isn't open at all then hey can't put it in which I think is why most people have the gel.
Gel for me! One dose and a walk round the block and it was all on for young and old!!
As per my previous post about having an epidural, I too had the balloon catheter the night before. Mine was in for about 13 hours and didn't fall out but was pulled out with ease. It only stretched me a further 1cm (2cm in total), it did give me really bad cramps for several hours but they died off.

My waters were broken at 7.30am and the drugs adinisitered about an hour later.

From what I researched beforehand the balloon catheter doesn't seem to be the most common way of being induced so it's nice to see I wasn't the only one!
I am 40 weeks and have to have the balloon next week because I have a 'high cervix'. I can't have a gel because i have had a previous c-section... bit scarey, hopefully i just go naturally before then and if not, hopefully the balloon does its job.
Sign in to follow this topic