Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Possible labour pains Rss

Ok so I am over 39 weeks pregnant (due on the 14th) and today I started feeling a slight sharp pain in my lower back and pelvic area. At first it wasnt too bad, just thought I really had to pee. But they got worse and I am sure they are labour pains.

For one thing I have never had back pain so far and at my last visit with my midwife she told me that I will probably have lower back pain during labour cause of how baby is sitting (his/her back is against my back)

Anyway the pain comes and goes and it... Well sucks sad everytime I think it's gone it comes back. There is also a tiny bit of blood when I go to the bathroom. At the moment it's like less then a few drops.

Anyway DP called our student widwife and told her what was happening and she said there is really nothing we can do til my waters break. She also said to call the hospital encase they say something different. They didn't an they also said that it could take 2 days before my waters break.

I soooo hope it doesn't take that long.

DP had to go to work (sucks I know) but my mum is here encase something happens.

We are hoping that nothing happens until 12am tonight. That way DP will be on his way home from work. Or hopefully 2morrow around 10am.

I'm just hoping I can get some sleep tonight.

I thought it would all happen at once (labour pains/ water breaking etc) oh how deluded I was.

sad

Well at least it will be worth it in the end
As much as it sucks, longer hours with gentle pain is better than shorter hours with ripping pain.
Get some sleep now, even if you're not tired.
I waited til I was tired, and got five minutes in bed before the pain got too bad. I think laying down actually brought on the contractions.

Good luck hun.
Right when you think you can't take it any more, you know you're almost there.
What helped me was Mum sitting in the corner timing the contractions (downloaded a free contraction timer app on my phone), and she kept telling me how long they lasted, and the gap in between, so I was a lot more aware of how I was progressing.
Good luck!!

Only bit of advice I have is sit forward to try and get bub to flip around as much as you can!
Try and get bubs spine off yours as posterior labours can be long and painful..

xxx

I hated back pain in my labour!!! Just remeber if it gets to bad to go to the hospital as not everyones waters break. I think the stats are only one in 6 womens waters break natuarlly. I wash pushing with them intact still so they broke them for me. some babies are born in them! Good luck!

As much as it sucks, longer hours with gentle pain is better than shorter hours with ripping pain.
I waited til I was tired, and got five minutes in bed before the pain got too bad. I think laying down actually brought on the contractions.

Good luck hun.
What helped me was Mum sitting in the corner timing the contractions (downloaded a free contraction timer app on my phone), and she kept telling me how long they lasted, and the gap in between, so I was a lot more aware of how I was progressing.

I think u r right about the contractions getting worse when lying down. I'm not really tired but I want to sleep but everytime I lie down I am up again cause of the pain sad I gonna try to prop myself up on a been bag and some pilliows and see if that works.

Do u remember what the app was called? Sounds very useful

Good luck!!

Only bit of advice I have is sit forward to try and get bub to flip around as much as you can!
Try and get bubs spine off yours as posterior labours can be long and painful..

xxx

Sadly I find this hard to do sad I've been trying since Monday but it's very uncomfortable for me and I find myself wanting to lean back. Now it sometimes helps with the pain and other times it doesn't.
Since I am having no luck sleeping at the moment I am on all fours. Apparently this helps too.
Hi hun

No advice, I didn't go through labour, but want to wish you all the best & cannot wait to hear your birth announcement.

Best wishes to you & your partner. Trust all goes smoothly for you. xxx
Hi darl,

How exciting! I hope it turns into something more progressive for you!

I had contractions for 2 days before DD decided to make an appearance. And my waters didnt break until 1 or 2 hrs before she was born! Eek!

So i recommend taking some panadol and try and rest. If it drags on, your going to wish you slept as much as possible LOL. I had took some painkillers and tried to sleep (only got a few hours) and by the time she came i was well and truely knackered!

Yay, we shall be thinking of you smile

Goodluck!!!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
My DD was sitting the same way when I went into labour. Not trying to scare you but get as much sleep as you can. Apparently the labour is longer because bub disengages, turns and then re engages to be delivered. My labour was from 6am on a Monday and she was born 11.25pm the Thursday night.

Good Luck and I hope your bub turns quickly for you!!!

Good luck hun.

Oh I totally agree with this. I was induced so I had short, absolutely 'ripping' (lol) pain for 2 hours before I opted for the epidural.

A friend of mine has two babies under two and her first one was induced and second naturally progressed. She says the labour with the slow, gentle pain was 5 times more bearable than the induced one, where her 'transitional' contractions came on within the hour.

Like Nostrum said, just get some rest. Have a long hot shower and relax! The bleeding your experiencing is more than likely your show too.

I suspect it shouldn't be too long and you'll be holding your bubba!!

YES IT'S MARCH laugh

Good Luck Hun!!
I did a few hours on the lounge with almost every pillow in the house around me, and then another few hours in the shower/tub on ky hands and knees with my head on the edge.

Hopefully you only read this when you get home from the hospital.

But if you do.. If you've bought waterproof mattress protectors for the cot, put it down where you sit or lie, just in case your waters break. Saves a bit of cleaning up.

Thoughts are with you! Looking forward to the outcome!
Sign in to follow this topic