Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

pre natal yoga Rss

Hi Ladies,

I'm hoping to start pre natal yoga tonight....just making sure my cold is not going to make a come back in night break!

I tried it a couple of times with DD but that was well over 3 years ago and i started it very late...like 36weeks.

so has anyone done pre natal yoga the whole way through pregnancy...and do you think it helped with your labour?

my 1st labour went well....but i had no stemia, and no flexablity...so hoping this will help!

thanks for any replies smile

I started last week, am almost 16 weeks. Hard to do classes as I have two little girls but I have a yoga for preg DVD & another book also. I find it relaxing & the girls try to do it too lol. Its great &'i enjoy it don't know of it'll help me with labour though.

I started last week, am almost 16 weeks. Hard to do classes as I have two little girls but I have a yoga for preg DVD & another book also. I find it relaxing & the girls try to do it too lol. Its great &'i enjoy it don't know of it'll help me with labour though.

I did my first class tonight...oh gosh i am so tight and unflexible!!!

I can see if i stick with it, it is going to make a huge difference to this labour. I really have to get out walking as well....my last pregancy i did sitting on the couch well....i plan on being active this time smile

I did it at RPA from about 14 weeks onwards. I was reasonably fit anyway (played netball for the first 2 months of my pregnancy. It explained why I was so tired! LOL) and was glad to have something to do for relaxation and fitness. I ended up having a Caesar, and have been told a few times that having done the yoga helped immensely - I used hardly any pain relief post op and was up and around as soon as the catheter was out.

Make sure you have a properly accredited teacher. Mine was Enid Guthrie who is an internationally qualified midwife and yoga teacher - her classes were great for both the yoga/meditation/relaxation aspect and also for the information we were able to ask her about in classes.

If you're in Sydney and able to get to RPA for Monday morning classes, I HIGHLY recommend hers. She also does Saturday classes at Annandale Neighbourhood Centre.
Otherwise ask the midwives at your hospital for recommendations, or see if the hospital runs classes.

I also found that week to week the positions that I found difficult and easy changed. Which is a bit strange as I am naturally overly flexible! smile
Hi there - totally recommend Yoga during pregnancy.

I did it from 8wks to about 34wks and the instructor was specifically qualified for teaching pregnant women. She was fantastic (I'm in Perth if you want any info).

This was my first baby and I totally credit the Yoga for a great birth experience. I was a week overdue, induced with prostaglandin and managed 10.5 hours without any pain relief. I had a shot of pethidine when the last 2hrs of pushing rocked around (and wished I hadn't but that's another story).

The best thing about the classes I attended were that they were 2hrs which was broken up into meditation, visualisation, Yoga stretching & breathing and an info session/discussion on a different topic each week.

Knowledge is power. And Yoga is bliss.
Very helpful replies!

I'm in Newcastle smile

My teacher only teaches prenatal yoga and post natal yoga...and is accredited smile
I see my midwife on Tuesday for the first time....super excited...she has been so lovely on our phone chats smile I will see if the hospital also runs classes....maybe i could do both....as my current classes are $18 per lesson huh but i think it will be money well spent. once i get rid of this cold fully, i'm going to start lightly walking 3 x a week.....i really want a nice pregnant body this time instead of the flappy one i got last time....thats what laziness will do!

Hi,

I am 26 weeks pregnant and I've been doing Pre-natal Yoga and Pilates classes in Coogee since first trimester. I find the classes fantastic. The great thing about Clearview Wellness Centre in Coogee is the intimate classes. My hips are mis-aligned and a few others in the class have other challenges. The teachers are great for ensuring you do not hurt yourself or push too hard. Yoga really helps me on the stressful days. Helps me to ground and re-focus.

It will really help your pregnancy- it is definitely money well spent. Any good class will also give you tips and tricks to do exercises at home too. My pilate teacher advised me to get an exercise ball and I use it every night to do my pelvic floor exercises and I watch tv on it too! It works for me and lower back ache. Yoga has given me great tips on inflamation!

Let us know how you got on! smile

I did yoga throughout both my pregnancies, right up until the day before actually and it helped so much with birth. If you can look into hypno birthing too. Amazing for birth skills.
I really like pregnancy yoga classes in my area. Here is a link in case some mummies want to join. http://healthymeyoga.com.au/classes/gentle-preg...
Sign in to follow this topic