Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Vaginal Delivery vs C-Section? Lock Rss

Hi Ladies

I know it's early days, but I'm wondering how many of you had a vaginal delivery after having a c-section? DD was born through an emergency c-section, and now that I'm pregnanct, I'm kinda hoping I won't have a second c-section. I had a good experience overall with my c-section so if worse comes to worse I wouldn't mind having a second one I guess! Does a second c-section feel different to the first one? And what is it like to have a vaginal birth after a c-section? Sorry to many questions, but I've been thinking about this lots lately! grin
I'll be watching this topic too coz im interested grin

My first was natural & second was emergency c-section. I needed stitches after DD1 and ended up getting an infection at 5 weeks. I had no complications after the csection but just generally felt crap! I would go natural for sure! Then again im scared of my uterus rupturing during labour so for the next one it would be very hard for me to choose!

Hi Ladies

I know it's early days, but I'm wondering how many of you had a vaginal delivery after having a c-section? DD was born through an emergency c-section, and now that I'm pregnanct, I'm kinda hoping I won't have a second c-section. I had a good experience overall with my c-section so if worse comes to worse I wouldn't mind having a second one I guess! Does a second c-section feel different to the first one? And what is it like to have a vaginal birth after a c-section? Sorry to many questions, but I've been thinking about this lots lately! grin

I also had a c-section for my first born. How come you dont want to have another c-section? I had no complications from my first, and a fairly speedy recovery although i have to say that i was not prepared for how horrifying the actual cesarean is. I didnt know that i would be able to actually feel so much i.e. the ob's hands, pressure, all that pulling and tugging it was like a horror movie. Sorry if im grossing anyone out. Was i supposed to feel all that??? will i feel the same for a second c-section? Doc says all my births will have to be cesarean.
I'm in the same boat I had a planned c section for the twins and dd1 was all natural.
Early days to be thinking of this too for me as well lol but I wondered if I could go natural again with this one???
Hope some one can answer smile

I also had a c-section for my first born. How come you dont want to have another c-section? I had no complications from my first, and a fairly speedy recovery although i have to say that i was not prepared for how horrifying the actual cesarean is. I didnt know that i would be able to actually feel so much i.e. the ob's hands, pressure, all that pulling and tugging it was like a horror movie. Sorry if im grossing anyone out. Was i supposed to feel all that??? will i feel the same for a second c-section? Doc says all my births will have to be cesarean.

The reason I fear another Caesar is my spinal didn't take hold enough when my Caesar was started..
When I was cut I had a surge of pain and felt like I was split in two omg weird feeling my heart rate when funny aa I was in so much pain like pulling and aches and stinging I hope never again lol I'm to put off !!
I wonder if your spinal didn't take hold fast enough either as other people I asked said they didn't feel what I felt I had the doc cone and apologize about it saying they started to fast with out seeing if I could feel the ice but no harm done in the end I'm fine the kids are fine and by the end of the Caesar all was good smile
I was induced with DD1 with an epidural from the start (due to med. reasons) so felt absolutely nothing.

DS was breech (bum first) so I had an elective C-section. The whole process was great and my recovery was fast too. DS was born at 8:30 am and I was walking around the ward quite comfortably that afternoon.

I actually suffered alot less pain after my c-section than I did after my natural. DD1 actually sliced me with her fingernails all the way down on her way out and it took the ob. over 1hr to stitch me up. The worst part was going to the toilet but apart from that things were great.

Now...DD2 was meant to be another elective c-section(just because I'd had one before). We weighed up the pros and cons and although not much difference in risk, that's just the way we decided to go! We were not totally against having a VBAC but were told that even if we went into labour early we could change our mind when we got to the hospital and it would be no big drama but we had to book early enough to have a c-sec. and could not change our mind and decide to have a c-sec.

However I went into labour on Monday afternoon and my C-sec. was booked for Wed. morning. DF rang the hospital and explained the situation soooo many times but the midwife on duty just kept saying "No, don't come in yet!"
The last time we rang, a new midwife had just taken over and said "God! You'd better get her in here now! How far away are you?" Although we are only 15mins. away it was 8am. Sydney's morning peek hour and the hospital is in that direction so probably atleast 45min. So her reply to that was "You'd better call an ambulance!!!" So not only did we not get our C-section, we had a homebirth too!

This was the first time that I had actually felt a contraction! It was not as bad as I had expected but I was quite stressed as it wasn't meant to be like this! I was told that even if I chose to have a VBAC, I would be totally monitored form the start! Recovery from this was quite good too.

So all three of my deliveries were very different so hard to compare. If I had to choose obviously I would say the totally natural home birth was the worst as I didn't feel a thing with the the first two! However my easiest recovery was probably after my C-section. With the natural deliveries I had stitches down there both times which were rather uncomfortable. In regards to my stitches in my tummy, they didn't bother me at all. If I forgot and moved really quickly in a strange way/position I would feel the odd sharp pain! The only thing that bothered me was my itchy nose due to the drugs.

The problem is we are all different and even people who have the same kind of delivery twice react quite differently too.

I've been very lucky with all three delivries and have benn doing normal house duties as soon as I got home from the hospital each time.

Recovery wise - I think I managed quite well and was surprised by how quick I could do normal things again, but I heard with every c-section things just get worse? As in recovery and how you feel overall in your tummy area, I felt weird - and still do - in my tummy area. Like my skin feels numb in general and around the wound I still feel pain if I put a bit of pressure on it. I'm assuming this is all normal though. Maybe I just want to try something different next time grin but a rupture sounds HORRIFIC doesn't it!! LOL.. if it's a bigger baby this time then I'll go with elective c-section and save myself the scary thoughts grin
I had a vaginal birth in 2006 followed by an emergency c section in 2008, then another vaginal birth in 2009, and I definitely preferred the vbac.
The rules for me were that I was not allowed to be induced so baby had to come spontaneously, I had to be monitored and baby monitored the whole time, which was fine, a few other things which I can't remember but nothing that got in the way of me getting my vbac.
The recovery was actually about the same because I got impatient and pushed bub out too fast so had 2nd degree tearing, which was the worst part of the recovery and it was my own fault for pushing when I should have stopped and done it more slowly (listened to my fantastic midwife).
I would definitely go vaginal birth over a c section if I had my time again smile
The other thing I think made it possible was that I laboured on hands and knees and not on my back, which is why I ended up with a c section in 2008.

I had an "elective" c-section in 2007 with DD as she was breech and i had slight pre-eclampsia. With this bub i have chosen to have a VBAC, the c-section wasnt too bad, i recovered quite well, but i would like to experience a natural birth and honestly wouldnt put myself through major surgery unless its necessary, especially with an older child that demands my attention.

I had an appt with the ob at the hospital 2day and she has basically told me that i will have the monitor on all the time (can still have an active labour), they will check every couple hrs to see how i'm progressing and if its not happening they bail out and i will have an emergency c-section. Also, bub has to be engaged and my cervix needs to open on its own as they will not induce.

As for the risk of rupture, she said its 1 in 200-250 but in her career of obstetrics in 15yrs it has happened 2 times. You just have to weigh up what makes you more comfortable and do whats best for your personal situation as every person is different!

Hopefully i'll be able to let you know soon how my VBAC goes =)
Sign in to follow this topic