Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Labour and Birth
  5. Big Baby wanting to be induced asap.

Big Baby wanting to be induced asap. Rss

Hi Iam 38 wks but i have been told continuely that my lil man is 2 wks bigger in size. There has been mix ups with my dates my original date is spot on with his size but the doc wont go by those dates.It has been terribly frustrating through out this entire pregnancy. I finally demanded an ultrasound and it came back that he was actuallty measuring over 3 wks ahead in size and that he was fully developed at the older age. He is definetly ready to come out safe and sound now. So Iam super keen to be induced but the doctor is saying that I hav to wait another 2 wks before they will discuss inducing me. Iam just completely over it now and very worried about my baby getting to big and staying inside to long. I dont want to have to need to much intervention like forceps, suction or worst of all a c-section. I also dont want to many pain relieving drugs.I was induced with my daughter and I actually like to be induced it's planned and fully controlled and safe and I only had minimal gas through the birth.

Wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how they dealt with it??

Hi Iam 38 wks but i have been told continuely that my lil man is 2 wks bigger in size. There has been mix ups with my dates my original date is spot on with his size but the doc wont go by those dates.It has been terribly frustrating through out this entire pregnancy. I finally demanded an ultrasound and it came back that he was actuallty measuring over 3 wks ahead in size and that he was fully developed at the older age. He is definetly ready to come out safe and sound now. So Iam super keen to be induced but the doctor is saying that I hav to wait another 2 wks before they will discuss inducing me. Iam just completely over it now and very worried about my baby getting to big and staying inside to long. I dont want to have to need to much intervention like forceps, suction or worst of all a c-section. I also dont want to many pain relieving drugs.I was induced with my daughter and I actually like to be induced it's planned and fully controlled and safe and I only had minimal gas through the birth.

I havent been through this but I'd just like to throw out there that every labour is unique and just because you had a good experience being induced with No. 1 doesnt mean same will happen with No. 2. The risk of a caesar is markedly higher when you are induced.

Being induced is a major intervention.

I'm not sure what the answer is in your situation but I just dont think you can think that what happened last time will happen this time.
I went through a midwife group with all three of mine.

DD1 was born just before 36weeks weighing 7lb 1/2oz!

With the last 2, they measured big so the midwives encouraged the bubs to come from 37 weeks (at 34week scan DD2 measured over 6lb). While they wouldnt properly induce me that early, I had internal exams, took evening primrose and raspberry leaf tablets etc. DD2 arrived at 38 weeks and DS at 37weeks. Both measured just under 9lb - so would have been alot bigger if term.

I was told that measurements can be off by 20% and have heard of people in your situation having 6-7lb babies, so try not to worry too much.

One tip I would give would to be as upright and active as possible when having a big bub - gravity definately helps bub come quicker

Good luck!
Induction will almost never be performed prior to the official due date. Just because the baby is big doesn't mean that he's ready to come out - in particular his lungs are likely to still not be fully developed and many babies born at 38 weeks still have a reasonably good chance of ending up in SCBU.

So, I think that your only option would be to continue to argue over the due date, since you say you had mix-ups over your dates.

Did you have the glucose tolerance test? I am wondering if you have undiagnosed gestational diabetes - this would explain why your baby is so big for his age. If you have GD, your doctor probably still won't induce you before your due date but you will probably be induced right on the due date (that is what happened to me).

Just to reassure you though - large babies do not necessarily mean that you'll have a more difficult delivery. An old school friend of mine recently delivered a 4kg baby at home, with no intervention and no pain relief! In your case, since this is your second baby and it sounds like the delivery of first went smoothly and easily, the chances are that you'll have a good birth this time around too.

I understand your concern, I'm in a similar position. I was induced around the 37 week mark with both my children due to a medical condition. My dd was 8lb 6oz (3.74kg), and my son was 9lb 10 (4.36kg)!!

If the baby was getting really big, I'm sure they would be keeping an eye on the size and would respond accordingly.

Good luck.

Did you have a dating scan early on in the pregnancy? Drs usually go by earlier scans as they are more accurate, babys vary in size a lot as the pregnancy progresses. (eg I had a growth scan at 36 weeks that showed my baby as 6lbs - compared to my sister who was born just over 6lbs at 40+2) If you have a dating scan, or even your 12 weeks scan proving your dates to be what you think they are I would take that along.

I have GD and have had some other complications so am having a c sect at 38+6. I didn't ask my DR, she recommended it as the safest way to go so don't really have advice on that.
When we discussed induction earlier on in the pregnancy she said they only induce when it is apparent that baby or mum would be better off medically with baby out.

I know these last few weeks are the most frustrating - Feeling uncomfortable and just wanting to hold your new baby in your arms. But trust that your DR has yours and your baby's best interests at heart and if an induction really were the best thing at this stage then that would be the path he or she would be choosing for you. I have had a couple of hospital stays recently and I have to remind myself when I get frustrated sometimes that Drs and nurses don't say no to some requests just to be mean, they say no because it is their job to give you the best medical care they can.

Best of luck with the rest of your pregnancy

Hi I had it happen to me with my DS I was made to have a scan every one to 2 weeks at the end. I had him 3 day's early I was induced he was 11 lb 5 oz I only used gass and had a natural birth I didn't tear and I have had a total hip replacement as well. When I had the scan the day before I had my DS they said he was just over 10 lb and they can get it wronge I have heard of people getting told bub is big and comes out 7 or 8 lb baby. Good luck with it and hope it go's well for you.
Hi just to fill everyone in on how its going with Big Baby.
I had hours of contractions and went to the labour ward and they said it was my body trying to move baby into a better position because he was so big. I was 4-5cms dilated and the cervix soft but his head just wasnt down far enough to fully start labour. We were sent home with pain relief and sleeping pills by the morning everything was over sad. Then more contractions and pain over the weekend but nothing eventuated. Went and saw the docs Monday and begged to be induced. They agreed it was safe and time for me to be induced. It has just given me pure relief and I can fully relax now knowing he will be out and safe. So come Thursday we are heading into finally see our lil man. Thank God!

I had hours of contractions and went to the labour ward and they said it was my body trying to move baby into a better position because he was so big. I was 4-5cms dilated and the cervix soft but his head just wasnt down far enough to fully start labour. We were sent home with pain relief and sleeping pills by the morning everything was over sad. Then more contractions and pain over the weekend but nothing eventuated. Went and saw the docs Monday and begged to be induced. They agreed it was safe and time for me to be induced. It has just given me pure relief and I can fully relax now knowing he will be out and safe. So come Thursday we are heading into finally see our lil man. Thank God!

That's great to hear! Thanks for the update and hope all goes well on Thursday!

Thats great wish u the best of luck with it all
grin
Sign in to follow this topic