Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

One Born Every Minute Lock Rss

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone else has been watching One Born Every Minute on SBS on Wednesday nights? I'm due any day now and getting myself prepared for labour. I'm addicted to this show but most of the women on there really annoy me! From my birthing classes, i thought the idea was to move around, stay upright, have a shower/bath and use all the other labour positions to get gravity to help but all they seem to do on the show is lie flat on their back screaming!

I know that for every woman it's different but for those who've been there, is labour really like that or do they do it differently in UK hospitals?? blink
Yep i heard the same thing about lying on your back and friends have told me that it hurts so much you won't want to anyway! I plan on using everything, fit ball, bath, shower. Watching this show is like what NOT to do lol. Thanks for the advice smile
as long as its safe for you moving is def the best way as gravity helps things move along when i lay ed down the pain was worse and everything slowed down so as soon as i could move i started walking as things progressed and the pain got worse i got in the shower it was the best thing i could have done because i was standing/squatting it helped move things along and the water was awesome and helped ease the pain and made it bearable everyone is dif and on the day you will go with whatever makes you more comfortable and just remember that once your labour is over its over and you will have your beautiful little baby and the pain will be gone and all worth it...

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone else has been watching One Born Every Minute on SBS on Wednesday nights? I'm due any day now and getting myself prepared for labour. I'm addicted to this show but most of the women on there really annoy me! From my birthing classes, i thought the idea was to move around, stay upright, have a shower/bath and use all the other labour positions to get gravity to help but all they seem to do on the show is lie flat on their back screaming!

I know that for every woman it's different but for those who've been there, is labour really like that or do they do it differently in UK hospitals?? blink

For me I was happiest laying on my back, I didnt want a shower, I didnt want to be on all fours (tried it though at midwives suggestion). When you are in pain and having contractions personally you can stick your fit ball up your clacker and same for having a shower.

I didnt scream, I could hear others in the labour ward going for it though.

You can have all these ideals but its not till you are in amongst it that you will know what is going to work for you and how you will react.

I love watching that show too and to be honest never thought about what position they were in. I just felt for them - and there's nothing like the relief and joy when baby is actually born.

Last week or maybe the week before there was a russian girl and she was on her knees and another lady too plus women walking around the ward - so I dont think they all just lay there for the duration.

For me I was happiest laying on my back, I didnt want a shower, I didnt want to be on all fours (tried it though at midwives suggestion). When you are in pain and having contractions personally you can stick your fit ball up your clacker and same for having a shower.

I didnt scream, I could hear others in the labour ward going for it though.

You can have all these ideals but its not till you are in amongst it that you will know what is going to work for you and how you will react.

I love watching that show too and to be honest never thought about what position they were in.

Same here, they kept asking me if I wanted to move, but I was not getting off that bed. I wasn't a screamer either and didn't ever feel the need to scream/swear.
I love this show as well, the first series was on when I was pregnant with DS, now its on again while I'm pregnant with DD.

I think most of the women on the show you see lying on there back have had some form of pain relief - epidural or pethidine that’s limited there movement.

I think its best to do what ever feels right at the time, DS was posterior so standing up but leaning over the bed was best for me took some of the pain away from my back.

Definitely walk around in early labour if you can & when the contractions start to get serious your body will tell you what’s best for you
smile
Oh and what you are seeing on the show is when ladies are in the end stages of labour - ie the baby is coming very soon so they are not likely to be walking round or taking a shower, they are getting ready to push baby out so for that I reckon you'd want to be laying down smile
I wish I could have moved around or taken a bath or shower! Unfortunately they had to constantly keep and eye bubs heart rate so I was constantly hooked up to a machine and unable to move without moving the whole bloody thing with me and definitely not allowed to go near water.

I think the few times I actually screamed it was into a pillow cause it was the middle of the night and I didnt want to wake anyone but I was bawling my eyes out from the pain until I had the epidural. I only ever had 30 seconds or relief between contractions that would last for a good 5 min or more and couldn't handle it after 6 hours with no relief from the gas as it didn't work for me.

I'm hoping that I will get to move around alot more with these bubs as I think it would have helped with the pain and getting bub to move down faster.

Best wishes for the birth of your special little bundle of joy!

Thanks for your replies, it's always interesting to hear how different the experience is for everyone. I guess i won't know until I'm in there! smile

Thanks for your replies, it's always interesting to hear how different the experience is for everyone. I guess i won't know until I'm in there! smile

One of the biggest lesson you can learn from that show is to know what YOU want and to stick with it!!! The place that its filmed at is actually one with a huge c section and epidural rate. The midwives have a tendency to tell mums what they are going to do rather than offer informed options.

Check out the feminist breeder blog and see her views. She is an american doula

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

I watch the show too and from what I've seen, their labours were amazing compared to mine.

I was forced to lay flat with monitors strapped to me, a drip in for 'dehydration' because they wouldn't allow me to drink anything.
Apparently bubs heart rate was up, but I later found that it was nothing serious and the midwives there actually do this to a lot of first timers.

Laying flat was certainly no good for me.
It took longer to dialate and I couldn't manage the pain very well.
Needless to say, I was quite loud to the point where I was actually told to "shut up". I never swore or said anything rude, I just asked to get out of bed and get all the monitors off.

Know what you want for your labour and don't let anyone force you into something you do not want (within reason of course).

I will not be going into my next labour passively.
I'll be doing what I feel is right for me and I sure as hell will not be getting in that bed!

I watch the show too and from what I've seen, their labours were amazing compared to mine.

I was forced to lay flat with monitors strapped to me, a drip in for 'dehydration' because they wouldn't allow me to drink anything.
Apparently bubs heart rate was up, but I later found that it was nothing serious and the midwives there actually do this to a lot of first timers.

Laying flat was certainly no good for me.
It took longer to dialate and I couldn't manage the pain very well.
Needless to say, I was quite loud to the point where I was actually told to "shut up". I never swore or said anything rude, I just asked to get out of bed and get all the monitors off.

Know what you want for your labour and don't let anyone force you into something you do not want (within reason of course).

I will not be going into my next labour passively.
I'll be doing what I feel is right for me and I sure as hell will not be getting in that bed!

sad Its really sad that you had to have an experience like that, I hope your next labour is on your terms smile

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

Sign in to follow this topic