Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Labour and Birth
  5. Raspberry leaf tea and evening primrose oil

Raspberry leaf tea and evening primrose oil Lock Rss

Hi everyone I'm 34 weeks with no. 2 and have started taking raspberry leaf tea tablets as recommended by my midwife. She also mentioned that at 36 weeks I can start taking evening primrose oil tablets as well. So she said I can combine the two at 36 weeks or jus take one or the other. With my first I only took evening primrose( orally). I read on the other posts here that you can 'insert' evening primrose but my midwife told me not to unless it looks like I will go over my due date.
I was wanting to know who has taken both raspberry leaf tea and evening primrose together? Do you think it worked better or the same?
I kno baby will come when he's ready but I'm starting to get over being so big and uncomfortable and the frequent trips to the loo at night are driving me insane , I feel like a zombie during the day! I kno once bubs is here i will feel the same zombieness during the day but bubs will finally be here! And I'll be on the road to getting back to normal!
I took both orally with my 3rd. Didn't like the idea of inserting the oil capsule, so just pierced one and massaged the oil into the perineum area. I don't know if it helped but after a stretch and sweep at 41 weeks, I went into labour, had a great 3 hr birth with no tearing! Good luck.
I was advised by my midwife to never take the RLT until I was passed my due date, as the effect on some people is literally the bubs arrives within the hour of taking it! Some people swear by it, but if you didn't take it with your first then becareful of the affects if could have on your body.

Sorry, can't stand EPO, so no advice there.

I have tried them both together, but did it with both my kids so I don't have anything to compare it to. I inserted them with both as well in the hopes to avoid induction (DD#1 was induced at 15 days over and DD#2 came on her own at one day over) I tried about a bazillion other things too so I can't really say if it was the tea and oil or if it was the stretch and sweeps or homeopathic birth mix drops etc!!
I drank the tea, took the capsules and inserted them once I'd gone past 41.5 weeks. And I still needed an induction! Sorry! wink
I think the raspberry leaf tea works differently for everyone, I've never had to take it myself because I've had C-sections for both of my kids (one more on the way in May).... however my sister in law started drinking the tea at 37weeks and had her baby yesterday at 38weeks, seems like the tea sped things up as her stomach hadn't dropped and she had no previous signs of pre-labour or anything??? She seemed to have an easy labour and birth though (it was her first child, drug free and no complications)

Mom of Andraya - 24.04.04 and Miguel - 05.05.08

With DS#1 I took RLT up to 5 cups a day. I was induced at 12 days over.It actually made my contractions stronger and more painful ended up with emergency c section.

DS#2 Never touched RLT. I started taking EPO from 35 weeks onwards (I was so over it already), took 2 a day to start with then gradually up-ed to 5 a day,also pricking the end and inserting to help soften cervix. I ended up going into natural labour at 36 weeks and 6, so one day off 37 weeks (considered fullterm) Don't know if it helped or whether it was the chch earthquakes and running around after an active toddler.

Lottie

I was advised by my midwife to never take the RLT until I was passed my due date, as the effect on some people is literally the bubs arrives within the hour of taking it! Some people swear by it, but if you didn't take it with your first then becareful of the affects if could have on your body.

Sorry, can't stand EPO, so no advice there.

your midwife may have been confusing it with rosehip tea. raspberry leaf tea is used to tone the uterus. you need to take it over a number of weeks, but not until the third trimester.
i was thinking of using evening primrose to help my baby cause ive got gestational diabetes and they will induce me if i dont go on my own before 40 weeks im currently 37 weeks and hoping it will work
It's impossible to say whether the RLT and EPO helped with my first birth but after not taking them for the second birth, I'll take them again with #3. If they do help, they should make the contractions more efficient and less painful and I'm all for that after how intense it was with #2! (it was a 90min labour, mind you).

It should work better taking both as they have different modes of action. As OC1246 said, RLT helps to tone the uterus, which would make the contractions more efficient. EPO is supposed to help to ripen the cervix so that the contractions are able to dilate it easier and quicker.
I took RLT with my first baby and started at about 30 weeks. I had him at 36 weeks as my waters broke. I ended up having a c-section due to being breech but i have been told RLT does something to your uterus which is why i went early. He was born a healthy 6 pound 10 oz so quite large for prem.

Im 33 weeks pregnant with baby number 2 and have starting taking it again, hopeful it worked the first time so will see how i go this time...
I took raspberry leaf extract (supplied by my naturopath) and EPO (both orally and inserted) from 36 weeks as recommended by my midwife with my first who was born 2 weeks early. Very quick straightforward birth with no tearing. Am taking the same again for my second and have just passed my due date - needless to say I am getting a little impatient and very uncomfortable. Even though the timing is different, I only hope that the labour will be as smooth!
Sign in to follow this topic