Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Labour and Birth
  5. whats a caesar under epidural like compared to general

whats a caesar under epidural like compared to general Lock Rss

hi guys,

i had my first hospital appointment yesterday and am due late april. my daughter is 7 months old and i had a caesar under a general with her due to pre-eclampsia. i was told yesterday that i would have to have another caesar and was wondering if anyone would like to share their experiences under an epidural.
i found the general ok, but cant remember the first few days due to the drugs i was on, which i went off very quickly and i recovered quite well,
they tried unsuccessfully three times to get an epidural in, but i think i'd like to try it again, it's awful not to remember your first few days with your baby,

thanks

shell

bella, 03/03/04, baby 2 due 07/05/05

Hi Shell
I had caesar with my son and had an epidural. The good thing is that you are awake and you partner can be with you as support. The doctor had about 6 tries to getting the epidural in as he worked up my spine so my back was very brused and a bit sore for a few days. When they proformed the caeser there where wedges placed under my bum so your on an angle. There was also alot of pressur in my chest from the ob getting the baby out which was a bit uncomfortable. I was up and out of bed within 6 hours which was very hard as I still couldnt feel my legs as the epidural haddnt worn off.
I hope this will help a bit if you need any more info let me know. Good luck
Sharon
hi sharon,

thanks so much for replying.
did you have much pain afterwards, i'm trying to determine wether i was so sick from the general or the caesar. are you having a caesar with your next one?

thanks

shell

I was in pain from where they did the incision for about 2-3 weeks and was driving at 5 weeks but I wasn't sick. With my next I want to try for a vaginal birth but was told by the hospital that I couldnt have an epidural. So I dont know yet. Im going to request by ob do and ultrasound late in preg to see if the baby will fit and then make the decision on what im going to do as my first was 8 12 and they say the next will be bigger.
Is there a reason why you have to have a caeser with your next baby?
Thanks
Sharon
hi sharon,

8 12 wow, my cousin just had her first 9 1/2 pounds. that's great that you want to try for a vaginal birth next time round, for what reason cant you have an epidural?
i've only seen the midwife and the obsteotrician is on the 4/11 so i'll find out more detail then about why i have to have another caesar. i dont think i realized the seriousness of the pre-eclampsia last time because it was so sudden and severe, i'm just concerned about getting through each day at the moment, the birth seems so far away and i already feel 5 months pregnant, it's 37 degrees today.

keep well

i'll keep you posted

shell

Hi Shell

Ive been told the second will be bigger. Im doing shared care with 2 ob's and niether of them have said anything about pain relief. It was when I went to the hospital booking that the midwife said it was hospital policy as the epidural can mask the scar rupture if it happens. Im going to ask by ob when I go next.

I had a friend sister that had pre eclampsia a she went blind and at one stage the thought that she was going to die so I know where your coming from and it would be scary.
When are you due?
37 degrees thats to hot for me
Hows your 6 month old going in the heat?
Talk soon
Sharon
hi sharon,

when are you due? we're due the 7th may? i guess it's just a matter of waiting till you're closer to see the size of your next bub. it's very interesting and makes sense that you wouldnt feel the rupture with an epidural - hadnt thought of that one. i hope all goes well for you.

my husband fixed the air conditioner this morning it had blown a fuse, i'm glad it was something little and we were all much more comfortable today. bella seems to have handled it ok, she's been drinking alot more water and was a little cranky yesterday.

we had her first swimming lesson today which was great.

im seeing the ob next appointment i intend to ask alot more about the preeclampsia and exactly what happened last time. i think it all just happened so fast and i was so involved with recovering and having bella that i didnt pay enough attention to what was happening. the midwife told me i was an ob nightmare being pregnant again so soon, which i must say upset me a little.

where do you live aussie or nz?

shell

Hi Shell
I had no dramas with having A C-Sect with the epidural.The good thing is that you are awke, partner can be present and you get to hold your bundle of joy pretty much straight away.
I remember laying in recovery thinking about my little man & couldn't wait to see him again. I pretty much fed him as soon as I hit the ward.
Where abouts are you?
Good luck
Well i just had my first caesar under a spinal block. I thought it was great, just lying there talking to Hubby while waiting for my little girl to be pulled out. I got to see her quickly before they checked her out and then Hubby & I got to have a hold before Hubby went to the maternity ward with her to get weighed etc.
I had to wait in recovery for about an hour. And it was pretty painful for the first two days (but the pain releif tablet were great and allowed me to move around). And 7 days later I'm home and doing great - only hassle is not being able to drive and pick up James.

Kristina, Mum of James 3yrs & Matilda 14 months

hi casper,

thanks so much for replying. it sounds great that you were able to remember everything and be there during those first moments. brett says it was like a hollywood birth because he waited in the foyer and they brought bella out to him all clean and wrapped up
an epidural sounds like the way to go if possible it would be so nice to share those moments with him.
we're in baulkham hills, sydney, im seeing the ob in a couple of weeks so i'll have more info then.
thanks
shell

hi kristina,

thanks so much for sharing your experience, it sounds so much better than my last one. im yet to find out what made me so sick the preeclampsia or the general. i fell so silly for not having found out the answers sooner.
im so glad that everything went well for yourself and james.

thanks
shell

i'll keep you posted as to what the ob says

Hi shellysue

i had an emergency csection with my first baby last year after going through 36 hours of labour. I had an epidural which they had put in while I was in labour and they just had to top it up. I had no pain while they did the operation but I could feel so much pressure and stuff inside of me being pushed around and tugged, I thought that was the worst part at times I was almost gasping. I was able to see my baby straight away and she was doing vey well. She scored a 9 and then a 10 on the apgar test. Many women worry that a baby won;t be as well as those who arrive naturally but in my case it made no difference.

I was confined to bed overnight because of the numbness and the cathetar but the next morning I was able to get up have a shower and was feeding no problem. I stopped taking serious painkillers ater two days because they made me feel spacey and I was worried I would squash my little girl or drop her.

Im pregnant again and having a baby boy in January Im booked for a caesar but cant decide on a spinal or epidural? any advice from any one?

Thanks for listening i hope i didnt ramble.

Jeanie, QLD, toddler girl and boy and pregnant

Sign in to follow this topic