Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Labour and Birth
  5. Due 1st March 05, 2nd Pregnancy & PETRIFIED!!

Due 1st March 05, 2nd Pregnancy & PETRIFIED!! Lock Rss

Hi All.

Anyone with advice on how to be more prepared mentally/physically for labour?? I am absolutely petrified as my first labour was a nightmare - 22 hours labour, vaccuum extraction, strirrups, drug free and an episiotomy!! I don't think I mind going drug free again but at the moment I am just so welled in my mind on the pain, the duration of it and JUST THE WHOLE THING!!!! I guess it is only normal to be nervous but any advice would be appreciated, please help me out...
Hi Belinda,

I haven't been through what you went through, but all I can tell you is that every birth and child is different. I due to give birth to my third the day after you. My first was 21hrs in labour, my second was 3hrs labour. They are both very different and I was scared about having a long labour that I wasn't prepared for a quick labour.

Just try and stay positive and think about your beautiful baby that you will have at the end of it all. Good luck.

Danielle

QLD DD 2/02 DD 3/03 DD 2/05 Jack 23/3/07

Hi Belinda,

I think the most important thing during labour is to RELAX as much as possible, don't think about anything except what's happening at that very moment and to go with the pain, feel it and let it kinda wash over you instead of fighting it or being scared of it.

I was in heavy labour for 61hrs and really noticed a huge connection between how painful it was with how I approached each contraction mentally.

As for the difficult delivery, all I can suggest is that whenever you feel scared about what might happen this time around you tell yourself that every birth is a completely different experience and it's possible it would be a lot easier the 2nd time around as your body knows what to do better.

I'm sure it's hard not to after the last time but try not to focus on all of the pain too much as it really does make big difference to the pain you feel and the outcome.

Good luck with it smile

Mel

Hi Belinda
I too was sooo scared of my 2nd labour as my 1st involved fainting, forced epidural, failed vontuse, episiotomy, forceps and post partum bleeding, 10 litres of saline thru a drip on 1 arm, some other fluid thru another arm, and a cathater!!!!!!
But, i did it again - this time it was so quick, I nearly had her in the shower, and had no time for any drugs whatsoever - not even 1 suck on the happy gas!!
So, as they say, all pregnancies are different, and all labours are going to be different also.
You'll think back and wonder what all the fear was for.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Jackie, Nicholas 5.5yrs, Annaliese, 4 yrs

Sign in to follow this topic