Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Go with your instincts... Lock Rss

Hi all

I had my 2 children at Westmead hospital and both times, I felt like the midwives didn't listen to what I was telling them.
With my 1st birth, I went into hospital and was out on a monitor to check the levels of the contractions and was told that they were very mild and I won't have the baby anytime soon, it would be more like late in the evening (it was only 2am). The midwife ignored the fact that I was crying from the pain and probably thought that being a 1st time mum, I wasn't able to handle the pain etc, which is why I was whinging early. She suggested I take 2 Panadine Fortes PLUS 2 sleeping tablets, which I did on her advice since the midwife knows best (or so I thought), and I could maybe sleep through the beginning stages.
The contrations were getting so much worse that I didn't feel I had a break in between so I was transferred to another room with the shower facility, and again another midwive said it will still be a long time for the birth. I couldn't stand at this point, so they transferred me to yet another room, being the labour room, to try the happy gas. By then I had seen about 5 different midwives and not 1 had checked me internally.
It wasn't until I grabbed my husband and stared him straight in the eyes and said this is coming soon - it hurts too much for it to be still so many hours away (it was about 7am), that he demanded someone check me internally.
In comes a midwife, with the attitude that this is a waste of time, and low and behold, I am 9 cm dilated and ready to push!
By this stage the panadine forte and sleeping tablets had kicked in and I had no energy or strength to push, which resulted in a very complicated labour.
This same thing happened with my 2nd pregnancy where at least 4 midwives also predicted a labour a long way away, and was very suprised when I am about to give birth in the shower on the wrong level!

Basically what I am trying to say is, even if it is your first labour and you really don't know what to expect, still trust your instincts and if you feel like it is too painful, or you're not comfortable with something then speak up earlier, rather than later. Sometimes I felt the midwives (not all) dismissed your thoughts or feelings because you've never gone through it before, therefore you don't know what you are feeling.
Don't be afraid to ask questions and keep an open mind.

Jackie, Nicholas 5.5yrs, Annaliese, 4 yrs

Hi Jackie,
Sorry to hear you had to go through all that, sometimes I wonder about the service you get in some hospitals.

As I was reading your story I was thinking have they bothered to check her yet.
obviously you would think this to be one of the first things to do wouldn't you.

Take care

Sydney,twin boys 22/10/04+girl 26/03/02

So so so true Jackie. When I had my son everything was going 'by the book' and it was basically easy for me. Hubby took me to the hospital and we went to the birthing suite and the midwife said 'this baby's not going to come any time this morning' (This was at 9am) She left the room and I started yelling at the top of my lungs and an hour later my son was born. Despite the fact its your first child or whatever you KNOW yourself when something is happening. I was so mad at her. And because I had had high blood pressure towards the end of the pregnancy she wanted me to lie on the bed (which in my ante natal classes they told us thats the worst position to be in) and I was standing by the edge of the bed and I physically couldn't move. And I TOTALLY recommend having a baby standing up!! First pregnancy and the total birth that they wrote down was 2 hrs 45 mins.
Sign in to follow this topic