Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Premature Births Lock Rss

Hi,
Just wondering if any Mums out there are willing to share their stories of premmie baby's. I've read one in a magazine recently and have had a number of friends have prems. I think these parents show amazing strength and courage in dealing with the day by day stresses involved with caring for an early arrival.
Lena and Josh 9 months

Lena and Josh

Hi smile
My son Logan was born 7 weeks early.
I had a few pregnancy troubles (bleeding and gestational diabetes) but having him early took us by suprise.
I had a routine OB appointment at 32+4 days and was told that some blood tests they had done a week earlier were a worry and that i had to be admitted right away.
After bawling my eyes out for a while, they explained that my liver was not functioning properly and that i had to be admitted and have blood tests a few times a day to moniter what is going on and to moniter bub.
I was allowed to go home that night (to explain to DH) and returned early the next morning.
I was monitered for 48 hours and about 5 doctors came in to see me and told me that if they didn't get the baby out asap, we could both die as my liver was failing.
I had to have a ceaser (as there was no time to be induced sad ) and Logan was born weighing 4lb 14oz exactly 7 weeks before his due date.
He was quite big for his gestation (thanks to the gestational diabetes) but had fluid in his lungs, respiritory distress, no sucking reflex and was unable to regulate his body temp.
He was under a head box then went into an isolette where he was given oxygen and heat.
He stopped breathing twice and went blue in his first two days which was so scary, but after a month in special care, he was well enough to come home.
I had to stay in hospital 9 days as i had to have a liver biopsy 3 days after the ceaser which set my recovery back a little.
I was clucky again when Logan was 3 months old, so it didn't put me off having more kids, but next time around, i'd love to go overdue, just for the experience!
Logan is now 17 months and about 12kg. You'd never know that he was a premmy!

Justine, Vic, Logan 22nd July 2005 @ 33 weeks

Hi
My daughter Brooke was born at 23.2 weeks 450 grams. She was in That's Life a couple of weeks ago. They missed a lot of the initial medical detail out. She had jaundice, a grade 4 brain haemorrhage, retinopathy of prematurity and had eye surgery for it, CPR done 3 times, PDA - patent ductis arteriosis and had heart surgery for it this year. Septicemia and was put on an international drug trial. I was asked to turn off life support on 3 occasions. She had the usual brady's, apnea's, electrolyte imbalances, blood gas problems and heaps of other problems
I was told she would never, walk, talk, be able to eat by herself etc..
She's now 3.5 years old and healthy, happy, very intelligent with no long term problems. We are extremely lucky though as many do have problems.

Mum to Brooke 23.2 weeks, 450 grams now 3.5 yrs

Hi,

My second son Jeremy was born at 30 weeks gestation in December 2005, due to PROM (premature rupture of membranes). We were lucky enough to get the benefit of 1 shot of steriods but he was born within an hour of the second.

In the scheme of all things premmie, Jeremy was born with minimal problems (no brain bleeds etc). He did have many apnoea's & brady's though. He spent 6 weeks on oxygen in hospital due to his premature lung disease and is still having problems with them now. He spent quite a bit of time under the phototherapy lights for his jaundice. He had a PDA at birth (that seems to have corrected itself) and a hole between the collective chambers of his heart. He also had tempurature control issues.

Jeremy came home at 6 weeks of age. He is now 13 months old and weighs about 9.5kg's.

In terms of him catching up with milestones. He is pretty much on par with his corrected age group. Our paediatrician no longer corrects his age for his height, weight etc but will continue to correct for his milestones for at least another year.

Trudie xxx

Robert (31 Jan 04) & Jeremy (7 Dec 05 @30 weeks)

Sign in to follow this topic