Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Premature...... Lock Rss

Hello all,

Im just wondering....
What is classified as premature labour??
As in how many weeks...
I thought anything from 37 weeks was classifieds a 'on time'.
Could someone let me know as Im confused..

Thanks
Sarah

Sarah, QLD- 3 ADorAbLe Daughters!!

Hi there,

It is a baby born under 37 weeks according to one of my books. A normal pregnancy is anywhere between 37 and 42 weeks. Then baby can survive without the aid of a humidicrib or any other intervention from that time, only thing about babies close to term being born is the fear that there lungs are not mature yet, apparently if you have your baby around 34-35 weeks they only need to spend a day with the oxygen if that (am reading as I am nearly at 35 weeks.
Normal is anywhere from 36-43 weeks.

Anything before this can be counted as prem, although the definition varies from place to place as depends on the health of the bub when they r born if they are classed as prem i suppose.

But yes, 37 weeks onwards is counted as on time. DD was born 4 days before EDD and was counted as on time.

DD#1 - 3.7yrs, DD#2 -20mnths, DD#3 is here! 21.08.

Hi Sarah
37 weeks + is classified as full term in Australian hospitals. I have a beautiful daughter, she was born at 23.2 weeks, 450 grams - she was classified as a very extreme microprem. She's now 3 1/2 years old and healthy, happy and intelligent. There are some great premmy websites www.austprem.org.au is one of them.

Kath

Mum to Brooke 23.2 weeks, 450 grams now 3.5 yrs

Sign in to follow this topic