Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Has Castor oil worked for anyone? Rss

I'm overdue, and my drs won't tell me anything. I have no idea if i have started dilating or even if my body is ready for labour at all. The only things i find out is things i see on my record if i sneak a look!!

So i was just wondering if Castor oil has worked for anyone, cause i'm just about at the end of my rope!!

Or if anything else has worked can you give me some help! PLEASE!!!!

thanks Nic

Alex 03, Lauren 05, Matt 07, Cora 09

Hi,

I tried castor oil and it just gave me the runs - that was after about 35 hours of labour with little progression. I assume it works for someone as the midwives suggested it to me. I also walked heaps, well as much as possible.

My advice if you want to give it a go - stay close to the toilet.

I didn't really get going until I was induced. Still ended in an emergency c/s though.

Good luck and I hope it all happens soon for you!

alphabits.com.au scrapbooking - ask me about it ..

I used to work in a hospital and the midewives said it can make you feel quite il.
Some good ideas are lots of sex (without condom), eat curry and lots of walking. These ideas are from midewives.
Good luck..

A very experienced midwife told me,during my induction,last year that I should've tried castor oil. She said they're not allowed to recomend it but she reckons it works. She says they still use it in 3rd world countries where they don't really have an alternative. A few people had suggested it but I declined as I thought it must've been dodgy as the proffesionals don't suggest it these days. Plus I've heard how unpleasant it can be. Mum took it with me and it worked. If I am in the same situation again, I would definately try a small dose as it can't be any worse than an induction!
Ultimately if bubs isn't ready then I don't think any home remedies work.

Michelle- 3 boys-17,13 & 9 -2 girls-3 & 1

Thanks for the replies girls,

I know that if my body isn't ready for bub to come it will only make me sick, and i think that's the reason i haven't tried it yet! I think i'm too chicken, but just wanted to see if it actually worked for anyone!! I have been trying everything else and nothing is happening so i've decided he just doesn't want to come out!!

Anyway thanks again girls! I'll let you know if i get the guts to try it!! hehe

Nic

It worked for me! I took a small dose mid-morning, and my waters broke that evening. 8 hrs later bubs was born. I didn't get any bad cramping/diahrrea etc.
Zoe,

Do you mind me asking if you knew that you were ready? Like were you dilating or anything, cause i really don't know as the drs and mw won't tell me not hat i'vehad an internal done or anything! Just wondering if that happened cause it was all nearly happening?

Thanks Nic

Hey nic, i suppose with you being overdue, you might as well try!!

I was told by a few ladies on here that you take 2 TBS and then 2 hours later another 2TBS. Put it in orange juice or something and make sure you have anotherdrink on hand.

I took it but took my doses too far apart so all i got was feeling really sick! It passed though lol. My mum took it with her pregnancies (i think for about 7 of us) and worked
I don't really know if it was because I was ready. I suppose its possible, and just a coincidence that I tried the castor oil that day.

I never had any internals so dont know if I was dilating, and didn't have a show either. Up to that point I had only had some BH contractions, but no other signs that I was close until after I tried the oil.

All I know for sure is that it tastes pretty gross!!
I took one teaspoon of castor oil a week before my due date and it was the stupidest thing I've ever done!

I was up the entire night with horrific stomach cramps and dihorrea- the pain was worse than the actual labour!

I'd give nipple stimulation a try. I used my manual breast pump for about an hour (alternating 15 minutes on one side, then 15 minutes on the other) the night of my EDD and by 6:30 the next morning I was in labour.

Good luck x

Katie, VIC, Aaliyah Kaylee born 28/11/06 & Mikayla

Hi

Thanks Katie for that bit of advise. I did try the pump last night but not for that long i think i only did it for about 15 mins on each side and that was it! Might try again tonight but for longer!

I still think i'm too chicken to try the castor oil, but i always think hmm just maybe!!

Thanks again to everyone who answered, i was thinking of calling my hospital to see what they think about the castor oil if i do decide to give it a go!

Nic

You could also ask for an internal which might get things moving. They could check your cervix at the same time to see if anything is happening ...

alphabits.com.au scrapbooking - ask me about it ..

Sign in to follow this topic