Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Labour and Birth
  5. Have other mum's found their 2nd labours to be better than their 1st?

Have other mum's found their 2nd labours to be better than their 1st? Rss

Hi there,

My first labour was a less than pleasant experience. I didn't progress well, needed lots of help and 14 exhausting hours after arriving at the hospital I gave birth to my daughter.

Now I am pregnant with my second, only 11 weeks and while happy about it feel anxious about the prospects of another less than pleasant labour.

Can any mum's share with me their experiences on second labours? Is there hope for me that my next labour will go smoothly? I know all pregnancies and labours are different. Just need some reassurance from other mums.

All feedback greatly appreciated smile
Hi Michelle,
I found my second labour much easier than the first, and I think this would be the case for most people as you know what your in for so you can prepair yourself.
Best luck with it all. Amy
Hi,
my second was definitely better than the 1st. with my first i was in labour for 16hrs or more and in the end she wouldn't come down the birth canal. So i did alot of pushing to get her out and then forceps were used.
with my second labour was 4-5 hrs and when fully dialated only took 19mins to deliver her. it was much easier and calmer the 2nd time round for me.
don't worry, i'm sure you will do fine when the time comes.

Vic, 2 girls - 9 yo & 17mth old

Hi Michelle!
I had a 9.5 hour labour with my first and only a 4.5 hour labour with my second! I must admit that my first was a better labour but my second wasn't too bad either, the only thing being that I had to go on a drip as my contractions almost stopped! Please don't take this as meaning all 2nd births are more difficult because this is just what happened to me...and I had a great 1st birth! You'll be fine! Every labour is different so don't worry and just enjoy your pregnancy!
Best wishes!!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

Thanks to all the beautiful mums who replied. You have put my mind at ease a little. I really appreciate it. Thanks again smile Michelle
I had a easy labour the second time. With my first it was just over 10 hours and 3 hours of that was pushing and with my secound it was just over 2 hours from the time my water broke to the time she was out and I only pushed twice. I nearly didn't make to the hospital in time as I thought that I would be in labout for longer. It turned out that my secound baby was small (only 2.4 kilos) so I think that that made a difference.

Karen, 2 girls, 1 boy and 1 due edd 23.10.07

Hi
Great to see you've had lots of encouraging replies. I know everyone kept telling me that the more you have, the shorter the labour, but I still found it hard to believe that would be the case for me! Anyway, suffice to say, I've not long had number 4, and that was by far the easiest...so I say, keep at it! (Not that I plan to have any more!!!)
Bests wishes.

Vic, mum of 4

Thanks for all the great replies smile

Michelle smile
Hi, I too am worried about having another bad labour, Im not currently preggers yet but am tossing around the idea of another one. My partner and I would love more kids but he doesnt have to push them out!I loved being pregnant but was in labour for like a day and a half, they say established labour was only 20 hours but I was up all night before with bad stomach pains then later the next day it came on a lot stronger but we still had major difficulties in getting him out, my contractions stopped coming and the midwife had to break my waters, I was 8cm dilated and went straight back down to 5 when she did that. I just cried and cried when she told me, then bubba went back up the birth canal to make things worse but secretly I think he did it on purpose cos he ended up being born on the same day my partners mum had died 5 years previous of cancer so hes our special little boy and its turned what is usually an unhappy day for my partner into a happy day
Hi there.
My second labour was much better than my first! My first labour lasted about 30 odd hours and was more of a blur due to all the gas I had taken! it ended up being epidural, forceps and ventouse just to deliver her. And even after she was born I still had the effects of the epidural, so my legs were dead for two hours, therefore not being able to have the much needed bonding time straight away because I was so exhausted and overwhelmed by the whole 'new baby experience'. The second lasted 4 hours, no drugs and I got to know her straight away, just me and her and I was more 'with it'. Hope your second goes just aswell.

Susan,NZ,3 yr old,1yr old littlies

Enigma,

Thanks for sharing your story. If I have learnt anything from these posts it is not to judge future labours on your first. Your story is bitter sweet and made silly ol' me cry. If you believe someone is looking over your son, you are probably right. A special day for a special boy to be born. Make sure you share that story with him some day... it is beautiful.

Michelle smile
Hi Susan,

Thanks for your reply. The more positive stories I hear the more comforted I feel. Hope laddy luck is on my side for my 2nd labour in July.

Michelle
Sign in to follow this topic