Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

TENS machines in labour????? Lock Rss

Hi

I am 34 weeks pregnant and my midwife has just advised me to look into using a TENS machine whilst in labour. (apparently it is meant to help with pain relief, if you are keen on not using drugs)

Has anyone used on before or know how you use them during labour?

Do you put the pads on your back or abdomen?

Regards
Ando

mummaof3

Hi,

I used TENs for both of my births and would do so again. You put the pads onto certain areas of your back, the midwife had used a marker pen so my husband could put the pads on at home. This is done during the early stages of labour and you have a hand held on/off switich that you put on as a contraction starts and switch off once it is over. You get a tingling sensation whilst it is on which detracts from the contraction. With my first born I had a long labour and after many hours of the TENS found it annoyinging and asked them to take it off, it must have helped as other than gas and air I had no other pain relief. With my daughter I had pethadine as well, but I kept forgetting to switch the TENS on as the labour was quite fast - she was born less than 4 hours from arrival at the hospital. I would certainly recommend TENS especially if you are wanting to try and have a drug free birth.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Nikki, Brissie, mum of 3,

Hi Ando,
I used TENS during my labour. It was really good, an bascally helped me through most of my labour. I started to use it about 10am, it got me thru to about 4 pm, where I found I just needed my back rubbed constantly instead. I then had 2 peth shots - at 6 and 9pm, bub born at 12,30am.
Definately look into it, you should be able to have a quick go at the physios that is in the hospital, just to give you an idea of what it is like.

DD1 July 2004 DD2 August 2007 DS September 2009

Sign in to follow this topic