Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Children at birth Rss

I am considering taking my son who will be nearly 5 into the birthing suite with me when I deliver my next child due July-August 2004. Other people I've spoken to have poo-pooed the idea but I think he would find it fascinating and exciting. We are really close as it only us two and I've already started reading books to him regarding babies, where they come from etc etc. I would love to hear from others who have had their older children at the birth of a sibling.
Many thanks.
hey mickey
its personal choice..i wouldnt hav my daughter there.....but if u feel he would like to be there then why not? if he is not happy while its going on he can leave anytime. see how he feels.

karen,NSW, mummy to Caitlin Born 14 weeks early

do you have anyone else to be there with you
if you feel strongly about it then why not although it is hard havin distractions during labour as i know i screamed at everyone for talking about the weather and other things between each contraction while i was in pain if he will sit there and you dont have to tell him to get out of the cupboard go for it

DD may 03, DS oct 06

This is my opinion only.
I couldn't imagine taking my l'il 8yo girl in with me as she would just freak out seeing me in that much pain.
We have included her in all of the pregnancy, ultrasound etc....but believe that, that is just too much.
All the best with coming to a desision

?Anni? QLD, Mummy 2 Courtney & Madisyn040.05)

If that is what you want go for it.
If your 5 year old gets upset take him out.
So you will need one person there for the 5 year old and another person there for you.
Some places only allow 2 people in with you.
Good luck
Tell us how it goes.

mum of 3

Well, I only have 1 but as the oldest of 10, I have seen 4 of my mum's births. I am grateful to have seen the "real thing" but wouldn't include any children of mine (in the future) see.... here are some things to consider:

1) Include the child all the way through the pregnancy and give him a run-down of what will happen (including that it might hurt Mum for a while), so he's well prepared

2) I was around for the home-birth of my brother when I was almost 4 and freaked out after Mum went to the toilet and the midwife announced that she could see the head... I thought he was going to be born into the toilet bowl! (I still remember.) The only person who saw the worried look on my face was Mum, as she was half-carried back to the bedroom to deliver the baby, and she couldn't do a thing about it. My grandmother was there to baby-sit my sister and I and I would strongly recommend a similar support person. Your partner's there for you! (Granny was reading books to my sister in another room and I moved in between both rooms as I pleased... so she thought I was okay then.)

3) Have a Plan B in case of emergency. What will happen if you, like me, have an unexplained haemmorage and need a c-section? (Hopefully you won't, though!)

4) Basically I think it comes down to your child's level of maturity. I was ready to watch a birth by the time I was 7 (and it will be different for everyone) but I was always very conscious of the worry/concern in the doctors' voices when things did come up (that time, a lump in the placenta).

5) My parents used to pack nibbles and activities for us kids when we went to the Hospital for the delivery... it can be a long wait, can't it?

It's a hard decision to make, but you know your son best and if you think it through well, I'm sure you'll have no problems.
thanks for all the replies...at this stage Jack is still coming in with me. I have a friend that he knows and loves being a supoort person just for him to take him out, feed him, keep him from getting bored etc.

He is really looking forward to it as I've been reading heaps of different books to him and have some birth videos for him to watch.

My support person is more worried about freaking out then Jack is haha!!

Thanks again I'll let you know what happens in July!
i guess you had the bub by now did you take jack with you? and if so how he did cope?

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

yeah im keen to know too?

karen,NSW, mummy to Caitlin Born 14 weeks early

Found this posting in due July 2004 after clicking on her name.
Congratulations Mickey
by Mickey on 15/07/2004 11:22:04 AM
hello all,
well I am here to tell you that my bub just could not wait till the 24th and decided to arrive on the 9th July after 13 1/2 hours. Things did not go as smoothly as I thought they would (my first son was a breeze birth) but in the end my little baby boy was delivered safely weighing 7 lb 15 oz (3.6 kg), 50 cm long. His name is Zane Stephen and he is beautiful!!! My oldest son Jack was with me the whole time being looked after by a friend in the adjoining tv/lounge room, though ...

mum to 5

Sign in to follow this topic