Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Internal Examinations Lock Rss

Just a question for those who have been there. I am just wondering how exactly the midwifes or docs conduct internal examinations eg when seeing how many cm's dilated you are? I've heard all these different ways they can do it and all these stories about how much they can hurt etc. Do they? Any stories from those who have been there would be appreciated.
Thanks
i was dreading them finding out how many cm's i'd dilated because i thought it was gonna hurt! but i tell you what, i didn't even feel it!!

eìí? well ... it started with a kiss eìí?-3-064

Hi Gizmo, internal examinations aren't exactly one of the most fun things in the world but of course are necessary to check on your progression during labour. In regards to these stories you've heard of different ways they can do them....speaking from personal experience and from what i've been taught as a student midwife, there aren't many different ways to perform an internal other than the most obvious.
They can be a little uncomfortable, and the midwife or doctor will always tell you before proceeding to do one and should endevour to be as gentle as they can be. Having said all that, some women actually ask for an internal to be done when they want to know how far along (dilated) they are and can find it a big boost to their energy/morale when they find they're nearly there. It can also have the opposite effect....i think my words were " 3 cms!!! but it's been 8 hrs already!" haha. I hope i've eased a little of your anxiety and i'm sure you'll be fine. good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

Nova, Vic, Nya born 7/3/03

Hi. They hurt if u aren't dilated much. I was 1 to 1.5 cm and it hurt like hell, more then the labour i think, but the one done when i was 4 to 5 cms didn't but the one when i was nearly fully dilated hurt a bit also. Weird huh??? Anyway best of luck!! When u due???
My boy is 6 weeks and 5 days old.

Tracey,NSW

Thankyou all for your answers. I'm sure when I'm in labour the internals will be the last thing on my mind. Anyway I'm due today, the 29th August but can't see anything happening in the immediate future but fingers crossed...it will be soon.
Sign in to follow this topic