Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

hcg levels dropped Lock Rss

hi there,
i am currently 6 wks pregnant and experienced spotting with some clots starting at 5 wks which lasted 5 days. i had two ultrasounds in the 5 day period and i just kept getting told that it was too early for them to tell if i was having a m/c, but everything seemed ok! i am also having my hcg levels monitored, first one came back at 860. the second test two days later came back at 270!because of all the public holidays at the moment for easter im having to wait nearly a week for my next blood test! my question is, has anyone out there had there hcg levels drop like this,only to have them rise again and go on and have a healthy happy baby?
Hi hun,

So sorry to hear you are going through this, I have had 4 mc but only had my hcg levels monitored once so i cant say with any personal experience but it doesnt sound good too me sad WIll be thinking of you and always here if you need to talk!
xxx

no idea, but I hope so much that everyone is ok for you. Let us know...
thankyou both,
unfortunately i was not one of those miracle cases where it all worked out with a happy ending sad i found out wednesday i had miscarried! i was upset at first, but now im angry, ive wanted this for so long! we were very lucky i know as we only just started trying for a baby and fell pregnant almost right away, but it still sucks. i wanted this so badly sad
my husband is taking it really hard, which may be helping me at the moment because im focusing on being there for him!

just wondering though, as this was my first pregnancy and now my first miscarriage, how do you know if you need a D&C? ive been reading a bit about it but i was only around 5 weeks along at the time. is the D&C typically for if you were further along?

thankyou for the support smile

thankyou both,
unfortunately i was not one of those miracle cases where it all worked out with a happy ending sad i found out wednesday i had miscarried! i was upset at first, but now im angry, ive wanted this for so long! we were very lucky i know as we only just started trying for a baby and fell pregnant almost right away, but it still sucks. i wanted this so badly sad
my husband is taking it really hard, which may be helping me at the moment because im focusing on being there for him!

just wondering though, as this was my first pregnancy and now my first miscarriage, how do you know if you need a D&C? ive been reading a bit about it but i was only around 5 weeks along at the time. is the D&C typically for if you were further along?

So sorry to hear it has ended this way for you hun sad GBH x

Generally these days they dont do a D&C unless completely necessary, like if you have massive blood loss or they think that some of the baby and lining has been ratained by your body.

Highly unlikely that you would need one after a mc of 5 weeks hun, i have had two mc at this stage and both times they passed naturally with bleeding lasting about a week and a half, like a heavy af...if the bleedin gets out of control or you are experiencing really bad pain then i would go and get checked out.
Such a horrible emotional thing to go through so make sure you look after yourself as well as your partner!

hope that has answeredyour questions and is the right info, im just going off personal experience.
All the best with TTC in the future!
xx

thankyou both,

I am so so sorry to hear that. sad

I had a m/c 2 months ago and opted for a D&C, but couldn't get in until the following day...that night at home I started to pass it naturally but still decided to go through with the D&C anyway just to be sure. I was 8wks 5 days but bub had stopped growing at just over 6 weeks. I wanted to minimise the risk of infection from retained tissue (even though it's a very small risk), and get back on track quickly to prepare myself for TTC again.

Wishing you all the best for when you TTC again. Take care of yourself smile

Hugs so sorry for your loss. I had a MC before my first DS1 and I ended up naturally passing bub before I could see my Dr. My Dr wasn't a fan of D&C purely because it can cause scarring. But whatever your choice it will be right for you. I had anitbotics just in case of infection. I MC on the 30 jan and OVed 12 days later and fell pregnant with DS1.

hi there,
i am currently 6 wks pregnant and experienced spotting with some clots starting at 5 wks which lasted 5 days. i had two ultrasounds in the 5 day period and i just kept getting told that it was too early for them to tell if i was having a m/c, but everything seemed ok! i am also having my hcg levels monitored, first one came back at 860. the second test two days later came back at 270!because of all the public holidays at the moment for easter im having to wait nearly a week for my next blood test! my question is, has anyone out there had there hcg levels drop like this,only to have them rise again and go on and have a healthy happy baby?

What came as a complete surprise, I was confirmed 3-4wks on 21/4/11 and HCG was 265. However I'd had some dk brown discharge for a few days after. Easter weekend, I'd had some cramping, and continued disharge - varying from dk to pinkish.
With the public holidays, I saw my GP next on 27/4 and followed up with a blood test that morning. HCG results were 453. However, as I'd spoken with the OB's receptionist on the morning of 27/4, she'd said that HCG levels should double within 48hrs (hence follow up blood test should've been done on 23/4 - which wasn't possible due to Gd Friday).
So, I kinda knew something wasn't quite right, having been armed with the knowledge of the hcg levels meant to double in 48hrs.
Still continuing to cramp and fresh blood discharge I was almost certain I'd m/c. Another blood test done on 29/4/11 and after an agonising wake over the weekend, and due to a blunder with my GP not getting my phone message on 2/5, the GP was off on 3/5 but I was able to speak with another GP (but he wasn't able to give me the hcg results then as my GP hadn't downloaded them when they came in)....
By this time I was going stir-crazy, not knowing - was I was I not pg anymore (although instinctively I felt I wasn't).
I was able to see my GP on Wed 4/5 and confirmed *finally* that my hcg levels were down to 96. sad
My fiance and I went home and I cried, and cried, and cried.
We both knew there was nothing anyone could have done to prevent the m/c, and realise that it happened for a reason. What that reason is, we'll never know.
Unless the bleeding continued, a D&C would need to be done. But as the bleeding has tapered off, at the moment there's no need for one to be done.

I'm scared now that if we do fall PG again, that I'll MC again and I don't know how I'll cope if that happens.
This was my first MC, and I didn't think it would happen to me. I have a 8.5yr old girl (I had her when I was 32).
We didn't tell our parent/s or my DD when we found out we were PG, as we didn't want to get their hopes up. I'm glad we didn't as now we'd have to go and *untell* them (this would've been my DF's parent's 1st GC)...

Only time will tell I guess...

leviniaa, NSW 4.5yr old daughter

thankyou all so much for sharing your stories.
to levinniaa, your story is almost exactly what happened with me. the waiting for results was so hard. this was my first pregnancy and i wanted it so badly! once i had finally broke down about it, and started talking with my husband about it, all i could keep thinking was what if it happens again!

im hesitantly happy to share that we just found out i am pregnant again.im only 4wks 3days.as soon as that hpt came back positive all i could feel was fear. i wanted to be excited and i guess a little part of me was, but mostly i kept thinking i didnt want to do anything~just lay in bed and not move for the whole nine months lol smile which obviously i know is over reacting a little.
though i cant explain it,but the last couple of days i have felt a change in myself, im incredibly relaxed and have a good feeling about it. and even if it doesnt work out again, i know we will try again smile
hugs to everyone smile
i wish you all the best for your futures
Congratulations!!
So natural to worry but also great to be positive smile i still go through days of both smile
All the best and hope it works out perfect for you this time!

ok so ive made it to 5wks 5days with no bleeding or complications that i know of! yay.
but one concern i have is that i had my first ultrasound today, at 5wks 5days and all they could see was the sac! my husband was watching the screen and even he said he couldnt see anything in the sac, but it looked bigger than the last pregnancy sad shouldnt the yolk sac at least be visible by now?
im stressing out a bit, im booked in for 2 weeks time, but i really wanted to see more than a sac today, just to put me at ease!

ok so ive made it to 5wks 5days with no bleeding or complications that i know of! yay.
but one concern i have is that i had my first ultrasound today, at 5wks 5days and all they could see was the sac! my husband was watching the screen and even he said he couldnt see anything in the sac, but it looked bigger than the last pregnancy sad shouldnt the yolk sac at least be visible by now?
im stressing out a bit, im booked in for 2 weeks time, but i really wanted to see more than a sac today, just to put me at ease!

Thanks Cass...
wishing you lots of luck, and happy vibes your way...
hope everything is going well for you....
we're not TTC atm, well probably not til early next year...

leviniaa, NSW 4.5yr old daughter

Sign in to follow this topic