Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Hypothyroid and miscarriage Lock Rss

Hi all,

I've just had my 2nd miscarriage in 8 months and have since found out that I have hypothyroidism (I'm low in the thyroid hormone)and there is a link to this and miscarriage.

Does anyone else have this? Have you gone on to have a successful pregnancy? I'm about to start taking thyroxine and my OB says there is no reason why I wont go on to have another baby but would be nice to know someone else is / has been in the same boat and had another baby.

My 2nd is still very raw, only happened 2.5 weeks ago so I cant even get my head around trying again due to the heartache but I'm also very optimistic and hopeful that I will be strong enough (emotionally) to try again at some stage.

Thanks for listening.

Hi, so sorry for your losses sad

I have hypothyroidism and have been on thyroxine for both pregnancies (100mg for dd, 50 mg for current pregnancy) and all has gone fine so don't lose hope, once they get your levels sorted fingers crossed for a healthy pregnancy x

Hello,

Firstly I want to say I'm so sorry for your losses. It's so hard. But I can definitely give you hope with my experience.

DS1 born in October 2006 - no problems.

Baby no. 2 - They discovered I had a missed miscarriage when I was 13 weeks pregnant. My baby died at 12 weeks. It was devasting and quite a shock as I had never heard of a missed miscarriage before. I assumed my 'routine' scan would be fine - not so.

Baby no. 3 & 4 - were very early miscarriages. I only knew I was pregnant because I took First Response early pregnancy tests and got positives. I miscarried around the time of my period - or just after.

I was devasted, so my GP did some routine blood tests. He also suggested I start taking a low dose aspirin. Please don't start taking aspirin unless direct by your doctor!

So my blood tests came back and my TSH (thyroid) levels were on the high range of normal. My GP said it was fine and not to worry and would monitor my levels with blood tests. He also referred me to a gyno/obstetrician just to get further testing done.

I fell pregnant again (my current pregnancy) and although I was 7 weeks pregnant, I kept my appointment with the gyno/obstetrician anyway. Thankfully I did. Whilst my TSH levels were on the higher end of normal, they prefer them to be much lower during pregnancy. She immediately referred my to an endocrinologist. He also agreed that my levels were on the high end of normal (but they were increasing) and he said in pregnancy they should be much lower.

He started me off on a low dose of thyroxine (25 micrograms) and followed up with further blood tests later on which showed my levels decreasing. I had another blood test around 19 weeks (i think). My levels started rising again (which he expected they would) and my dose was upped to 50 micrograms. I recently had another blood test and my levels are pefect.

I am almost 34 weeks with a fantastic pregnancy. I had an ultrasound at 31 weeks - which they do if you have thyroid problems. To see the size of the baby. My little baby boy is perfect.

So, there is definitely hope. I am still taking a low dose aspirin as directed by my obstetrican as well - but will be going off them soon.

I tip when taking the thyroxine. Follow the instructions carefully. I take my tablet first thing in the morning and don't have breakfast until 1-2 hours later. (I have my breakfast at work before I start work). I have my multiviatamin at night time with my evening meal. If you eat or have dairy or iron close to when you take the thyroxine, it will not work as well.

Best wishes, and I really hope you are able to have your little baby soon

Hope my experience can give you hope.

p.s. I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism during pregnancy. They won't know if I will continue to have hypothryoism until well after my baby has been born.

xx
Sorry for your loss.

My 1st pregnancy resulted in miscarriage, after TTC for 14 months!

2nd - full term baby, fairly large, and sleepy - took a few months of trying to get pregnant.

Not long after her birth, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism, and started a low dose of thyroxine 50 mcg/day

3rd pregnancy - BFP 2nd month of trying, increased thyroxine during pregnancy. Bubs normal size, active and healthy.

Thyroid function was normal after pregnancy, so stopped thyroxine all together.

4th pregnancy - Needed thryoxine again from the start. Happy, and healthy bub. The endocrinologist thinks it is a pregnany related condition, and advised me to stop taking it when bubs was born. Haven't had another test to see if my levels are ok yet, but I feel fine, so I am guessing they are fine. He also suggested that my first baby was my largest, and sleepy because of undiagnosed hypothyroidism in that pregnancy, but we will never know.

So, to end my rant - there is hope! Good luck, hope you are holding a little bundle of joy soon.

3 girls are enough...the shop is now shut!

Hello and sorry to hear of your loss. I also had a miscarriage at 10 weeks 6 days. Upon seeing a gynaecologist she told me i had hypothyroidism and would need to see an endocrinologist. She said that this most likely caused the miscarriage. I never had an issue when I was pregnant with my DD.I ended up getting pregnant and saw the endocrinoligist when i was just on 5 weeks pregnant. Lucky for me he put me on 75mcg of thyroxine daily and i had my blood tested every 2 weeks to make sure that the levels were ok. I ended up having my little boy at 37 weeks (due to gestational diabetes and he was measuring quite big). My little boy is 8 months old and I am back on the thyroxine. He believes it's hereditary as my father also suffers from this. I totally understand how you feel. I don't think the worry ever leaves you but with the right caregivers and with the correct medication you will have your precious little baby.
Hi all,
I'm new to forums but have decided to join for advice & support.
I have just found out I'm around 5 weeks pregnant.
I'm extremely nervous as this is my 3rd pregnancy in a year with the previous 2 ending in a MC. (First at 4 weeks, 2nd at 7 weeks). After the 2nd I was sent to a gyno who did a number of blood tests which showed I have hypothyroidism (mild). I'm now on 25mg & have been told that they're 'quite certain' that this is what was causing the MCs & all should be well next time. As you can understand I'm very anxious & every day is full of worry. Every slight twinge, or when it go to the loo or shower (both times I started to bleed after a shower) my heart is hanging on a thin thread. Any advice or success story's with similar issues would be appreciated.
Thanks.
(I'm also 'prone' to blood clotting & possible PSOS)
Hi,

I had a total thyroidectomy in 2003 (Graves' disease and hyperthyroidism).
At the moment I'm taking 900mcg a week.
I have had no trouble conceiving any of my pregnancies thankfully.
Dd1 was born sept 2007.
2010 I had 2 early miscarriages, both around 6 weeks
Dd2 was born oct 2011
Ds was still born oct 2012 (was due feb 2013)
Dd3 was born march 2014
All my pregnancies I just had to have blood tests to check my levels every 4 weeks and my dosage was constantly changing to adapt as my pregnancies went further along.

I don't know anything about your other health issues though...hopefully I've helped a little with the thyroid. smile
Sign in to follow this topic