Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Homebirth Lock Rss

Hey everyone..

This question is aimed at the women who have/or are planning to have a homebirth with midwife...

This is my first bub and i'm planning a homebirth with my gorgeous midwife...I'm having the same midwife which my mum had when she gave birth to my lil brother 10 years ago, and she has also been the midwife for many of my friends/fmily etc...
So I am completely comfortable and feel very safe with her and the whole aspect of homebirth...

My main question is, - has anyone planned a homebirth and after trying it at home in the beginning of labour, freaked out and decided to go to hospital(whether it was for drugs etc...)

I really don't think I will be in this situation, but seeing as it is my first bub and I haven't experienced this before - i guess the possibility is there...

I feel very confident with my body and the whole birthing experience, as I've read so many amazing books and i feel really comfortable...

Any opinions/stories etc would be appreciated..

Thanks in advance

Elyse

My beautiful baby boy was born 24 June

Elsye,

I wanted a home birth with DS1 but was told no because I'd never been pregnant/laboured/given birth before! Most dumb ass reasons I'd ever heard but I rolled over because I wasn't up for the "fight", and I didn't know I could have pushed the issue had I truly wanted to. Fast forward 4 years:

We are now living on the other side of the world, decide we want another bubba and low and behold didn't have to fight to get a home birth so decision was easy. LOL I was sooooooo excited and it took alot of the stress away worrying about stuff like what to do with DS1 and hating hospitals and worrying about needing to go there...or in my case even getting there as DS1 was in a bit of a hurry and it was a very real concern.

Fast forward to D day and it was all hands to the pump. LOL The only thing I remember was questioning my sanity for wanting to do it without drugs. LOL I could have ordered in gas, but thought it wasn't worth it because I had so little first time; but the questioning wasn't enough to make me transfer though. I was "in the zone" and even knowing DS1 was in another room at the other end of the house didn't inhibit or worry me in any way; the only worry was whether the pool was going to get filled in time or not. LOL

Short story even shorter, 2 hours after being woken from a dead sleep by a contraction DS2 was born, at home, in the pool (just) as planned...hooray! I of course went into shock because of the speediness (2nd stage, which is pushing, is down as 9 minutes!), but got to curl up in my own bed after with my stuff and it was the most wonderful thing in the whole world. I didn't feel like I was just a number on a ward full of other labouring/new mums and we all got to bond straight away. I could have what I wanted to eat/drink (though my first cup of tea went cold and ended up down the sink)and I didn't have to be somewhere where I knew I wasn't going to relax.

Unfortunately I can't answer whether I had been at it for longer might have influenced the outcome because I obviously don't know how to take things slow when it comes to birthing babies. LOL I think that being really relaxed and just going with it can help....but hopefully someone who has had a more "normal" labour at home can help. I do remember thinking with DS1 that it was all happening a bit fast.... not that anyone in the hospital believed me when I said I was in labour on arrival (went in for something else), they were even going to transfer me off the delivery suite; that is until my waters went like 60 seconds after they made that decision. LOL

And now I am rambling................good luck and remember though it can be hard, I eventually got into the habit of reminding myself that each contraction, painful as it might be, was bringing me one step closer to meeting bubs so it was all worth it and to be honest, looking back, even just after he was born, it didn't really hurt all that much.

C

Hi Elyse.
To date i have had 2 planned home births but have ended up giving birth in hospital due to pre eclampsia. I am hoping 3rd time lucky!

So while i haven't given birth at home, I have given birth without pain relief drugs both times.

My suggestion is to plan a homebirth, and worry about whether you want to transfer at the time! You can't plan a hospital birth (or birthcentre) and then spring on your midwife on the day that you want to stay home. And similarily, you can't rock up to the hospital, hate the atmosphere and go home again!
But you can decide that you want pain relief and transfer to hospital...provided you aren't too far along! LOL.

A friend of mine decided to transfer for pain relief and she did say she had to threaten to drive herself there before the midwife took her seriously! hehehehe. But she transferred and got pain relief and was happy that she had laboured as much as she did at home.

But seriously, it sounds like you have educated yourself, have a wonderful support team who you know and trust, and are preparing your mind and body to birth your baby! Its natural to have little niggles of doubt when you haven't experienced something before (I did), but I am sure you will rise to the challenge on the day. As Christine said, take each contraction as it comes, welcome it and keep focused on the baby you are about to meet!

[Edited on 11/05/2009]

I freebirthed my daughter 5 months ago ( I 'accidently' couldn't get in touch with the midwife in time) - if you have something in mind to deal with the pain before hand, you will be fine.
with DS in the hospy i had no plan, nothing. with DD i knew what the contractions were doing, i planned to (and did) breath words like open, relax, during contractions etc etc. when the time came, i was truely fine until i hit transition. I could feel that the contractions were expanding my pelvis, that my baby was moving down, that i needed to push. when i hit transition i didn't want pain releif so much as i needed someone there to keep me grounded - i called a good friend with a 4 month old and she was brilliant.
my best thing i had to remember to to keep my voice low - as i progressed i was just shouting ooooooo in a very low voice. it kept me grounded, gave me something to focus on, and i had to keep breathing.

freebirthing/homebirthing was the most empowering, woman - making thing i have ever done. you will not regret it.
hiya,

i am also having my first baby and its a planned homebirth with a midwife. i also have the fears that i wont be able to cope and want to go to the hospital.....

i am glad i have a great suppportive hubby and a fantastic midwife, so i think that will really help me through.

not really answering your Q but i understand how you feel!

good luck
xxxxx

Hi

Thanks for your replies...

Wow there is not many mothers who have had or are planning homebirths, is there? ha ha

ameslc - i am also extremely lucky with an amazing fiance and wonderful midwife...i have made such a great relationship with my midwife and i feel so comfortable with her...

i think the thing that scares me, is im still so young...i'm only 20(nearly 21) and df is 22..

i guess wisdom of birth doesn't come with age, it comes with experience he he

good luck
xxx

My beautiful baby boy was born 24 June

"My main question is, - has anyone planned a homebirth and after trying it at home in the beginning of labour, freaked out and decided to go to hospital(whether it was for drugs etc...)"

No, I have never known this to happen.

I have heard of a few women who started labour at home and then moved to hospital because it became clear that they needed medical assistance. But this is not a reason to freak out. You just do your homework, look at what could happen, and make plans to get to hospital if you need to. You are unlikely to need to do this (the majority of women could give birth safely at home), but you need to be prepared just in case. You should discuss with your midwife under what circumstances you would want to transfer.

I have also heard of many, many women who went to hospital and later wished that they had stayed at home. Many birth complications are iatrogenic, ie actually caused by hospital procedures. For example, in hospital, once your membranes are ruptured - either spontaneously or artificially - you will be given a time limit after which you will have intervention if you haven't had your baby. This is because the hospital environment is full of germs and frequent VEs are carried out. Whereas at home, you can safely labour for as long as needed. There are many other examples.
Sign in to follow this topic