Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Water injections for back pain Lock Rss

I booked into hospital last week for the birth of my second bub (i'm 29wks). While there the midwife informed us of a new pain relief option which wasn't available there when i had my first (2007). Apparently if you suffer from bad back pain during labour (which I did with my first) you can get injections of saline just under the skin on the lower back. It's only 0.1ml on either side and works almost immediatly but are quite painful to have.

Has anyone here tried them? If so how did you find them?

img src="http://lmtf.lilypie.com/u3ecp11.png" widt

I booked into hospital last week for the birth of my second bub (i'm 29wks). While there the midwife informed us of a new pain relief option which wasn't available there when i had my first (2007). Apparently if you suffer from bad back pain during labour (which I did with my first) you can get injections of saline just under the skin on the lower back. It's only 0.1ml on either side and works almost immediatly but are quite painful to have.

Has anyone here tried them? If so how did you find them?

Saline injections have been around for years (obviously the midwife does not update her education very often!) and were certainly offered as an option during my second posterier labour, which was a homebirth in 2005.
I didn't end up needing them as the back pain passed as my baby moved from a posterier position during labour to an anterior position. I understand they are very effective for back pain though and are injected into pressure points in your back - when my midwife offered them to me she said they will sting like wasps biting your back but will offered you relief for an hour or two.
Great option that is medication free!!
I haven't ever had them, but I did some research on these at uni last year. Basically they inject water into your back which pools and puts pressure on your nerves, blocking most of the pain signals from reaching the spinal cord, which means that you don't feel any pain. Seeing as it is just water they are injecting, they are incredibly safe, and from my research very effective. If you do decide to have them I would be interested to hear your experience (if you don't mind sharing of course blink )

Good luck!

I had the injections with my 1st... NEVER AGAIN!!!
they injected 2 needles in the middle of a contraction which made the pain 10x worse, and i don't think that it helped at all for the pain after.
NOT WORTH THE EXTRA PAIN.... labour is hard enough already!!!
I had water injections with my 1st....OMG it was worse than actually giving birth. But this sensation only lasted approx 30 secs and then was gone and so was the back pain smile ....didnt need to do it with my 2nd, but if needed with my 3rd i will do it again smile it is so worth that 30 secs of agonising pain....Goodluck smile
I had these not when i was in labour but just because i had servere back pain and the doctor said it would help and OMG never again. It thought i had a pretty strong pain threshold but i was mistaken. Like one of the ladies have said labour is painful enough without having to make it worse.

I had these not when i was in labour but just because i had servere back pain and the doctor said it would help and OMG never again. It thought i had a pretty strong pain threshold but i was mistaken. Like one of the ladies have said labour is painful enough without having to make it worse.

i agree.....i had them and i wished i didnt!!! it didnt help and i had to sit still and i think it just made it worse...a hot shower was far more effective!!!

Sign in to follow this topic