Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Natural drug free birth PLEASE! Lock Rss

Hi, I was also 10 days overdue. I'll share my story as it might help someone avoid a c-section, if they do not want one that is.

What I did was: refuse to be induced at 10 days. You have the right to refuse hospital treatment at any time and you also have the right to the refused treatment at any time should you change your mind. That way I could avoid being induced at 10 days and go back to the hospital still at a safe time to have bub i.e. 14 days or so and be induced if I wanted that. I had to sign a paper saying that I refused to be induced at 10 days. The doctor will not recommend anything else against hospital policy to avoid litigation. So after I refused treatment it was me who had to go into the hospital and request treatment and I took on all responsibility for my birth.

I ate a big pineapple (which has put me off pineapples for life) and went on a long walk (a 5 to 10 km walk). I started bleeding, but didn't take much notice as it was only small. So my induction came on naturally, but I think I brought it on especially by the walking. I basically just kept on walking until I bled and then walked some more to make sure. I then used the techniques learnt in active birthing class and managed to hide my labour from pretty much everyone for about 12 hours. By the time I told my partner I was close to the transitional stage of labour. We rushed to the hospital, which was about 25 minutes drive away and when I got there I was already 8-10 cm.

I gave birth on the 1 July 2012 after a really long pushing phase (2 and bit hours). The hospital cut off for pushing is 2 hours, but luckily the mid-wife told the docter on duty that I was progressing and the doctor allowed me to continue. The baby was sunny side up/back labour and was 4kg. So it really did hurt.

I was ready to give in to anything the doctor suggested at one stage. In my situation it would have been a waste to get an epidural or c-sec as they would have given me more time anyway. But you do get really tired after 2 hours of pushing. My advice to anyone who doesn't want a c-sec is don't give in at this stage.

Luckily I kept on going because it wasn't long before the baby came out.

Active birthing classes really helped, because despite that I was really in a lot of pain people said you didn't seem to be in a lot of pain and I believe this also helped save me from intervention.
Axiom wrote:
It's great that it worked for you but I was walking 5km+ at the end of my pregnancy, drinking red raspberry leaf tea and doing all the other things which are meant to bring labour on and it did absolutely nothing.
I think anyone who's bleeding should contact their midwife asap - and I don't know why you would hide your labour? Your birthing partner and health provider should know you're in labour just in case anything goes wrong.
I think women should consult with their health providers about the risks of induction and the risks of prolonged pregnancy. Not all inductions go wrong. Inductions at 41+0 weeks actually reduce the caesarean section rate without compromising perinatal outcome. Having an induction at 41+0 weeks is also associated with less intrapartum fetal compromise, meconium-stained liquor and macrosomia (> 4,000 g). The risk of perinatal death (in South Australia) increases from 1: 7,000 at 36 weeks to 1:350 at 42 + weeks. Some doctors are happy for women to go 10 days over - it depends on the woman's medical history and pregnancy. Each woman should be assessed individually. There's no point insisting on an unassisted, drug-free, water birth if it compromises the safety of the mother and bub.

+1

What you need to do is get the facts. Of course you can refuse a c section or induction however you need to consider the risks of doing this. While it is lovely to go in with a birth plan and to want a certain type of birth, what is most important is a healthy baby and a healthy mummy, and compromising that for the sake of having the "ideal" birth is dangerous. As axiom said, going post term increases risk of mec aspiration, a large baby (and therefore potential birth trauma for you and baby) and the placenta starts to pack up shop and therefore baby may not cope with either the pregnancy or the labour as well.

Try not to be scared about your birth, you can go in with a plan and hope it goes that way, but if it doesn't don't get hung up on it. The rate of c section is usually not very high in hospitals and if it is, it may be because that hospital take a lot of high risk mums.

The doctors and MW's are there to help you, not to destroy all your good plans and intentions as some people will make out. They are not evil people who want to force you to take drugs and make choices you don't want, they are there to ensure you get to take home a thriving healthy baby.

And remember that no matter what happens, it is YOUR babies birth story and the BEGINNING of their journey. How you birth your baby does not indicate what kind of mother you are or how much of a "woman" you are either. Too much focus is put on having the perfect birth IMO.

Oh, and just to put this out there, sometimes a c section is not as traumatic as a vaginal delivery. I'm sure you will be fine no matter how your birth goes

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

Sign in to follow this topic