Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Water birth and tearing. Rss

So I have read a few times (in not very significant places but I can't find anything more factual or reliable) that water birth has a higher rate of tearing than a non-water birth.

This surprises me a little because
1: I would have thought that the water would soften everything and
2: I also would have thought that a woman being in complete control of her own pushing would more likely allow her to prevent herself from tearing

Does anyone know anything or have any personal experience in the matter?

Thanks!
I was under the same impression as you.. the water would help to "soften" the vulva therefore making it a reduced chance of tearing.

As for the mother being in control bit.. I wouldnt totally agree as some woman get the urge to push when they shouldnt at the time they want to.

but I am interested to hear what other ppl have heard/think. grin
I think waterbirths have a lower rate of tearing: here's one study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12499752. (Keep in mind this is a prospective study which cannot establish cause and effect - women who have waterbirths probably have lower rates of complications because high risk babies are rarely birthed in water).
This is just an assumption and me completely guessing...

Could it be that in a water birth, the midwife isn't able to monitor the baby birthing as closely as a dry birth? I know that when I had DS my midwife was right in there (lol) monitoring me and telling me to slow down and just breathe (didn't help though, still copped a beauty). During antenatal appointments I remember my Ob telling me to make sure I listen carefully to the midwife as she will be able to reduce the risk of me tearing??

Just a thought...

As for the mother being in control bit.. I wouldnt totally agree as some woman get the urge to push when they shouldnt at the time they want to.

That's interesting. So women start to push when the baby isn't ready to be born yet? I didn't know that, it has never happened to me! I asked my midwife to guide me with pushing and stopping with my 3rd baby as he was big, but pushed without guidance and had no tearing with my other 2 children. I just felt when to push and when to stop.
And cruxy has a good point about water births being lower risk, etc and are water births more common in second and subsequent pregnancies??

I think waterbirths have a lower rate of tearing: here's one study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12499752. (Keep in mind this is a prospective study which cannot establish cause and effect - women who have waterbirths probably have lower rates of complications because high risk babies are rarely birthed in water).

The link didn't work but I found this... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12708093

This is just an assumption and me completely guessing...

Could it be that in a water birth, the midwife isn't able to monitor the baby birthing as closely as a dry birth? I know that when I had DS my midwife was right in there (lol) monitoring me and telling me to slow down and just breathe (didn't help though, still copped a beauty). During antenatal appointments I remember my Ob telling me to make sure I listen carefully to the midwife as she will be able to reduce the risk of me tearing??

Just a thought...

That is what I am wondering. I want to know whether women pushing alone and unguided allows them to prevent themselves tearing, or whether that doesn't actually work. Lol maybe it did help you and your tear could have been worse without the guidance?
lets try again - link

That is what I am wondering. I want to know whether women pushing alone and unguided allows them to prevent themselves tearing, or whether that doesn't actually work. Lol maybe it did help you and your tear could have been worse without the guidance?

It's a good question!

OH GOSH! I think I wouldve passed out if it was any worse blink

lets try again - link

Thanks!!
Maybe it's the lack of guidance with the pushing part. First two times I lost it, pushed like a nutter and had episiotomy + tear. Third time I really listened and didn't tear smile All dry births. Wanted to birth #2 in bath but she came too quick.
Sign in to follow this topic