Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Requirements for Unassited Birth Lock Rss

Hi,

I was wondering what the requirements are for a home birth minus midwife.

I do not mean candles nor do I mean water births. I just want to know what I actually need. I have put towels on the list, but that seems to be all I need (if I go Lotus), otherwise a pair of sharp scissors.

Also, are there any good books out there? Most I have seem just want to try and convince you to give birth at home and then say get a midwife, without really saying you'll need to do this and this and if the baby is breech do that. For example, what to do if the cord is wrapped around neck, what to do if babies mouth is filled with fluid etc.
Well, there aren't any requirements as such. If you read the homebirth with midwife info, you can just follow their list of things that may help.
These sites may help.
All the best! smile

http://www.joyousbirth.info/printouts/uc.html

http://www.freebirth.com.au/

http://www.ilithyiainspired.com/2008/05/freebirth-homebirth-without-midwife.html
are you for real? blink
Hi OC1246, I think you are right - there aren't really any requirements - if things go by the book. I'd like to have that book though. I might try to see if I can get my hands on a good mid-wife's manual. Does anyone know of any?

Hi Cruxy, Yes, I am for real - don't you believe in Santa? smile

Hi Beach Mummy, I'll put the emergency department on speed dial!!

Here is some background information: I have done Lamaze, active birth and taken ante-natal classes at the hospital. This is my third child. I am also booked into a hospital. I want to be prepared for an unassisted birth. I also feel that I am not really informed enough nor am I trusting enough to leave decisions up to others.

Here is some background information: I have done Lamaze, active birth and taken ante-natal classes at the hospital. This is my third child. I am also booked into a hospital. I want to be prepared for an unassisted birth. I also feel that I am not really informed enough nor am I trusting enough to leave decisions up to others.

It sounds like you're not informed enough not to leave decisions up to others... unsure
hi there,
by requirements i just meant there is nothing essential you have to have to birth. people make up their own first aid kits with the things they feel they would like on hand. same goes for things you might like during the birth. an ice cream container is handy for the placenta. obviously if you are looking for essentials for emergency situations you wont have access to a lot of them. are you planning a freebirth or planning in case you have an emergency one? the sites i gave you should have lists of peoples opinions on what they think are the must haves. there are midwives there too so they might be able to help you in regards to planning for emergencies. they can also recommend books.
i haven't planneda freebirth, but i did have an unplanned one as it happened so quickly i hadnt called my midwife.
i kept handy a blanket, towels, a bucket in case i threw up and an ice cream container for the placenta. it wasnt in case of birthing alone though, just so that dh and my midwife could find them easily. handy though.
read as much as you can get your hands on and get a support network happening. its really important that you prepare yourself with the right info. also remember that under pressure you may forget so you need to account for that too. good luck with it.
Are you intending on having a homebirth or are you just being prepared in case it happens that way? Although I am not a fan of the idea of homebirth, I can respect a woman's wish to try. I do however strongly believe that you should have a midwife that can monitor your baby and you as well, that way you can relax and not have to worry about what to do in the event of an emergency. Even if you have read a book about what to do if the baby has the cord around the neck, becomes stuck or whatever, you may know in theory what to do but you will not be in a position to do it!

I hope your birth goes well, but be very careful in considering your options. Midwives who do homebirths understand the reasons behind a woman making this choice and work to help you have a positive experience that is also safe for you and baby smile

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

I would maybe start with the text book list for Bachelor of midwifery courses or search for Clinical Midwifery Practice text books.

Goodluck !

I would maybe start with the text book list for Bachelor of midwifery courses or search for Clinical Midwifery Practice text books.

Goodluck !

that would be the same as asking Dr.Google
Reading a book is not the same as doing a Midwifery degree - going to lectures, tutorials, lab sessions, clinical placements and having actual experience assisting women who are in labour.

There is a reason why midwives exist - having a qualified person assisting during labour greatly reduces the chances of complications and mortality rates!
I want to be prepared in case of an unassisted birth and I want to be able to say "yes" or "no" to medical intervention without having regrets afterwards.

I want to be prepared in case of an unassisted birth and I want to be able to say "yes" or "no" to medical intervention without having regrets afterwards.

Hey, there is a section in the book What to expect when your expecting that covers emergency birth on your own or with a partner. Tips about the cord, keeping baby warm, placenta etc.
Well as for the intervention and saying yes or no, something we were told to do in antenatal class was before consenting to anything ask

Why does this need to be done?
What will happen if we say no?
Are there other options?

You might not be in a position to ask these questions but discuss your birth plan in detail with your partner so that he can advocate for you.

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

Sign in to follow this topic