Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Caesarean Births
  5. Elective C-Section in NZ do these exist??

Elective C-Section in NZ do these exist?? Rss

Hi,
I'm in NZ and desperate for an elective C-Section and my midwife told me NZ does not do these?? what about privately?
has anyone had one or know of someone that has?

Thanks guys!

Hi 2long. My friend had 2 elective C-sections. She went with a private obstitrican (spelling probably very wrong) and chose to have c-sections as she didn't want to go through the birth process. I think as well once tyou have had one c-section the next time you can elect to have the same rather than VBAC.
I have heard that you can have an elective c-section in NZ but you have to pay for it. However if you have to have an emergency c-section you don't have to pay for it.
hi there, i had an elective section last nov with my daughter in wellington hospital. they do allow elective sections where there is a medical reason for it mine was, breech and small for date, as well as me being wuite small myself, as it was my first they told me i couldnt deliver naturaly with a breech. but i had talked to my insurance company and they would cover me to have a elective section in a private hospital. good luck, if i could have had her naturally i would have i was very upset at having a section and will do anything next time round for a natural birth.

/ur

i know this is super old but just in case anyone wants to know. i had elective at north shore hosp in auckland.

it was orgnised about 3months before bubs came through the hospital midwifes.

i had no "medical" reason. my son was not breech and i didnt have any other pregnancy related medical issue.
I had an emergency C-section back in SA. I told the midwife that I would like to have an elective one this time round in NZ.... her answer - they won't do it unless there's a medical reason for it.

I almost told her.... bull frikkin ****. gasp grin But I didn't. Needless to say that that same evening we made an appointment for me to see an OB in Auckland who said he had no problem with giving me a C-section.

This is MY body and NO one will tell me how to give birth. If I rather prefer stitches in my stomach and not stitches in my *** then that's my choice.
I've spoken with so many older women (50yrs +) who told me everything that's wrong with them "down under" after giving birth to 3 or 4 children. Even my mum told me, who had a normal who turned into a nasty c-section birth with the first child.... then a normal with an over 10pound baby.... decided to have a c-section with the last one... “go for a c-section”

I know that I’ll probably be slaughter for saying these things.... and yes, I do believe that giving birth is something beautiful and natural... but I’m really sorry, I’m not an piece of art on exhibition, spread open for everybody to see.... I’ve done loads of reading before making my choice between natural vs. c-section. I’ve watched natural births and wanted to puke afterwards.... to me there's not much natural and pretty about giving birth!
I don't think giving birth via c-section makes you a bad person or mum.

So 2long my answer to you is.... Tell them you want a c-section, don't ask them. i know when you're sitting there all nervous, speaking to someone that supposedly knows all there is to know about giving birth, that you feel intimidated. It's your choice. If you have the money to go to an OB, go for it - You'll at least get a scan with every visit (most of the OB's do)
Good luck with your choice and I hope in the end everything works out and you get what you want! smile
you shouldnt have to pay for it. not only rich people deserve to have the birth experience they want. even if its a c-section.

i had mine done at a public hosp all for free smile no pregnancy related medical reason smile

i agree with you that the whole vag delivery thing totally freaks me out ... i like my bits just how they are. i also have been told by lots of older women to have c-section!!! i was never worried about the pain i was just terrified my vag wouldnt go bac to normal and i didnt want to deal with incontenance etc etc...

heaps of people hate on it but each to their own smile
The term "elective" simply means that you are booked in in advance to have it done. So, of course free elective c-sections exist in NZ as many people have valid medical reasons for having them, e.g. the baby is breech, they have placenta praevia, they've had a c-section before, whatever.

However, if you mean can you choose to have one - i.e. an optional one with no medical reason - then yes and no. Most midwives and obstetricians will not refer you for one, but this is not on cost grounds. It is because a vaginal delivery normally results in a better outcome for the mother, as you can return to normal within a matter of hours, not weeks. But, if your reason for wanting one is that you are bricking it at the thought of having a vaginal delivery, then some practitioners may actually refer you if they believe your fear is strong enough to impact negatively on your labour and birth.

I was booked in for an elective c-section as my baby was breech. She turned herself around at 38 weeks and I ended up having a vaginal delivery. Before the birth, I honestly hadn't cared which way I did it, but afterwards I was so pleased I had had a vaginal birth so that the recovery time was so much shorter. I had an epidural and didn't feel a thing.
This is a fascinating thread - and indeed whole website.

When signing up I had to choose something for my profile, there was no option for 'just interested at the moment' so apparently I'm 'trying to conceive'.
I'm not, but recently (July 2011) got married so it will happen at some stage. However I'm not even going to entertain the idea of conceiving until I know I can have an elective C-Section. I'm sure when the doctor or whoever I have to see looks at the fear in my eyes at the thought of a VBAC (? using the acronym's i'v seen on this thread).

Thanks for the info & it makes me feel a bit better about the whole thing if I know I can plan that at least.
Ahh I've just discovered from a different forum that VBAC means vaginal birth after caesarian - so doesn't work in the context of my prev post Lol.
laugh I have never been pregnant.
Gosh this is a great post, I feel so much better after reading this.

I am like some of you, I want a C section and unless I know I am having one I wont even try to get pregnant. I am a nurse in the Op theatres and they do a lot of planned C sections, the babies do just fine and stay with Mum the whole time.

Independent midwives don't get paid for the birth if you have a C section, in fact hardly any independent midwives accompany the woman throughout her C section.This is why they want you to have it naturally. But you can totally request a section.
Each to their own but I will def have a section, probably through a private OB. I feel safer and more wiling to do it. My partner and I both agree its best as I have such an issue with vaginal birth (he's a Dr). I am traumatised enough after seeing women come back to have their 3rd and 4th degree tears repaired! Nasty! and women years later dealing with anal incontinence from these tears and the scaring.

I had an emergency C-section back in SA. I told the midwife that I would like to have an elective one this time round in NZ.... her answer - they won't do it unless there's a medical reason for it.

I almost told her.... bull frikkin ****. gasp grin But I didn't. Needless to say that that same evening we made an appointment for me to see an OB in Auckland who said he had no problem with giving me a C-section.

This is MY body and NO one will tell me how to give birth. If I rather prefer stitches in my stomach and not stitches in my *** then that's my choice.
I've spoken with so many older women (50yrs +) who told me everything that's wrong with them "down under" after giving birth to 3 or 4 children. Even my mum told me, who had a normal who turned into a nasty c-section birth with the first child.... then a normal with an over 10pound baby.... decided to have a c-section with the last one... “go for a c-section”

I know that I’ll probably be slaughter for saying these things.... and yes, I do believe that giving birth is something beautiful and natural... but I’m really sorry, I’m not an piece of art on exhibition, spread open for everybody to see.... I’ve done loads of reading before making my choice between natural vs. c-section. I’ve watched natural births and wanted to puke afterwards.... to me there's not much natural and pretty about giving birth!
I don't think giving birth via c-section makes you a bad person or mum.

So 2long my answer to you is.... Tell them you want a c-section, don't ask them. i know when you're sitting there all nervous, speaking to someone that supposedly knows all there is to know about giving birth, that you feel intimidated. It's your choice. If you have the money to go to an OB, go for it - You'll at least get a scan with every visit (most of the OB's do)
Good luck with your choice and I hope in the end everything works out and you get what you want! smile

Totally agree with you about everything, don't be sorry, no way am i having my vagina ruined and have all in sundry poking around up there while I am in extreme pain like an animal! I am so pleased to hear there are people like me out there.
People keep saying vaginal birth is best as its natural, well it is natural to not want to hurt myself, and back in the day it was natural to die of a broken leg but now we intervene and give pain relief while we fix it. I think this is similar. Thanks for your post.
Sign in to follow this topic