Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

pain relief post c-section Lock Rss

I was speaking to my ob dr yesterday about my c-section and asked him about pain relief after the spinal block has worn off. Now with all my labours i was vomiting from the pethadine and the gas even though i was given maxalon aswell!! So am concerned what effect the drugs they give you after will do to me, anyway he said it can vary but morphine is a favourite and usually people can handle pethadine and not morphine so he said it's very likely that it could make me sick, so my question to guys is what did you have and how did you feel??
Thanks in advance,
Jules

Hi there, they will have stuff to stop you been sick while they are doing the c section, i was sick was my last baby cause they didnt get it in to me straight away, it works straight away but, just tell they your concerns when you get in there and tell them as soon as you feel sick. I was vomiting as they were pulling her out!! I think you get mophine in a drip the first night then after that you get panadol(big woop sad I didnt get sick or feel like the mophine was working at all well that was with my second c section, it didnt go as well as the first one. The first one i didnt have pain at all. Was my first i got valium or valtaran Sorry cant spell and cant remember which one. They should be able to give you something thats not going to make you sick, what if you were allegic to it?!

Hello smile

After my C Section the first pain killer was top ups of the epidural, then when that was taken out I was given Morphine tablets.. they didnt make me sick at all, just made me itch under my eyes (I didnt tell the docs that though as I didnt want them to stop giving them to me). The morphine works really well. Then they take you off that and put you on ibuprofen and panadol, it works but not as well as the morphine. Its all manageable and like someone already said they will give you something to stop you vomiting if that does happen.

Good luck with everything.

After both my c/s I had Painstop. During the night I had the nightime version but I never needed anything stronger then that.
Hi,
The drugs from a spinal wont wear off for almost 24 hours approx. Then I was given panadol and vultaran (not sure how to spell it) every 6 hours and endone as I needed it. I was not sent home with anything so I got panadeine from the chemist which i used for almost 2 weeks as I needed it. I would highly recommend keeping on top of the pain meds within the first week even if you are feeling well, because once the pain kicks back in, it take ages to control with the pain meds.
Good luck
Hi Jules

I remember having something while in theatre as I started to feel a little sick and they also gave me something to stop the itch in my eyes when in recovery. After it was all over I remember vomiting on and off throughout the day, possibly from the morphine. At first they gave me the jab in the thigh muscle (HATE needles so didn't appreciate this lol) but it didn't work, then they gave me something in my drip and that kncked it on the head. As for pain relief, I can't quite remember what they gave me, maybe ibuprofen, but once I got home all I took was panadol and it was enough.

Thanks for your replies, I had bubs 9 days ago and am glad to say the morphine did not make me sick, but also don't think it really did to much i found panadol and the ibuprofen worked the best.

Thanks again,
Jules

I was speaking to my ob dr yesterday about my c-section and asked him about pain relief after the spinal block has worn off. Now with all my labours i was vomiting from the pethadine and the gas even though i was given maxalon aswell!! So am concerned what effect the drugs they give you after will do to me, anyway he said it can vary but morphine is a favourite and usually people can handle pethadine and not morphine so he said it's very likely that it could make me sick, so my question to guys is what did you have and how did you feel??
Thanks in advance,
Jules

morphein was awful! it made my face swell and itch like crazy!
I also had pethidine in labour but they don't use that anymore I didn't react to that at all.
I vomited in my first C-section on the table and after my 2nd while being wheeled around to the ward.
I have had 2 c-sections and i had morphine for pain relief and it was the BEST thing ever. My first c-section i was in very bad pain soon after the operation, my spinal seemed to wear off very quickly and it turned out i had blood clots which were giving me the pain. The nurse could see how white i was and asked how my pain was i said BAD and the next thing i knew i had been given the morphine-2 lots in the space of about 10mins and then i fell asleep, then woke up to find the nurses getting rid of the clots (tmi) but that pain i will NEVER forget. So with my next c-section i had a differant OB and told him my concerns about the clots and he said he could guarentee it wont happen again, he was right and i was only in recovery for 20mins compared to 2 hours the first time. It is a traumatic experience and i know what is to come again....but its my last one so i am keeping positive.
I hear you all say about the face itching with the morphine - it is a common side effect and the nurses/doctors can give you something to take that away.
My forst c-section i had an epidural because i'd been through 30odd hours of labout first and the second one was elective and i had a spinal block with that one. The medication combination used in the block will cause nauseous ect but they will pump more drugs into you to take away those feelings. After my block wore off i was on strong painkillers that had to be taken with food but no sooner than every 8 hours, can't remember what they were called and I was given a script for two lots of pain killers once i went home (the generic name of one was 'diclofenac sodium 50mg'.
The whole experience can't have been too bad I'm going back for 3rds - my son is 11mths old and I'm 3mths pregnant.
There was NO WAY I was having an epidural or giving birth, so after 8 months of arguing I got my way and had a general caesarian. I was out cold for about 4 hours each time and spent the first night on a morphine drip. The first time I spent 4 days attached to a drip and catheter and was regularly drugged by the nurses as well as taking pills "to help me heal faster", given mostly to shut me up, I suspect. I left hospital after a week swollen and 5 kilos heavier than when I arrived. With number 2, older and wiser, I took charge and paid attention. I controlled the morphine drip and refused to use it after the first night, even when that involved an arguement with the head midwife and the surgeon. I also insisted on having the drip and catheter removed on day 2 and stopped taking their "pain relief" (brufen and home brand nurofen). After returning home the area started swelling and I researched antiinflammatories safe during breastfeeding. Imagine my surprise when brufen appeared. It isnt actually for pain relief at all, but I suppose the midwives think we will take it better if we think it is for the pain. I then took brufen for a month and 9 months later I am still breastfeeding and still drug free apart from the occasional use of a migraine stick when the kids get too noisy. smile To be honest, the pain after the operation really isnt that bad.
i have had 4 c sections with my first and second they gave me morphine it was great but i itched for 4 day afer so with my third the only gave me panadol i was ready to shoot someone so i went home on day 2 (he was born thursday afternoon and i went home sat morning)and they sent me home with endone that was the best stuff then with my 4th the doctors tryed a nerve block which they gave me before the opp that lasted 48 hours and the pethadine drip whiched worked soooooooo much better then anything else so far.
Sign in to follow this topic