Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Breastfeeding ater c-section Lock Rss

I am 38 this year and considering another baby. I have an 18mth old DD who was born natural birth but resulted in 3rd degree tear for me, OUCH, and months of recovery from that so could not go through with that again! I a sill breastfeeding her. Considering elective c-section if I did conceive again but wondering how other mothers went with trying to breastfeed after c-section??
I breast fed after my c-section, and honestly i did find it pretty hard, at the start I had to be passed my bub and having his weight on me was painful so my ex used to hold the babys weight while i fed, breast feeding my second after a natural birth was much more pleasant BUT I didnt have 3rd degree tearing, only 2nd!

I healed from my natural birth much easier then my c-section, BUT again I had complications (infection and dodgy stitches)

I dont wanna be one of those people who tell you an awful horror story, it was only really the first week or so that was hard breast feeding after my c-section, but it was my first bub so that most likely contributed substaintially.

As long as you've got somebody at home with you, it would be fine! invest in a breast feeding pillow too, i wish i had, i think that would make all the difference after a c-section!

I am 38 this year and considering another baby. I have an 18mth old DD who was born natural birth but resulted in 3rd degree tear for me, OUCH, and months of recovery from that so could not go through with that again! I a sill breastfeeding her. Considering elective c-section if I did conceive again but wondering how other mothers went with trying to breastfeed after c-section??

I've had 2 c/s and never had any trouble breastfeeding except for that first day. Obviously you can't get out of bed for x amount of hours so you do need someone to pass you the baby. But other then that, no problems, I didn't feel sore or pressure on my stomach when holding the baby to feed.
Both of my boys were born by c/section.

With DS1 i didn't get to have him in recovery with me so we didn't try to establish feeding for about 3 hours after he was born. It was difficult. He didn't attach properly and it was very stressful. I ended up formula feeding as well as expressing but we eventually got an attachment when he was about 4 weeks old. Had issues with mastitis and supply and ended up giving up at around 4 months.

DS2 was in recovery with me and feeding was established straight away! He is now 5 months old and b/feeding is still going strong.

Not sure if the issues with DS1 were due to the time lapse between birth and the first feed, or if he was just a difficult bub???

I don't think you should have any problems with feeding however. Just be sure to ask for bub to be in recovery with you if possible!

I had both my babies via c-section (first emergency, second elective) and had no problems breastfeeding.
My DS is 14 months old and was born by emergency CS. I didn't have any problems feeding him that were related to the CS (I wasn't shown how to latch him for nearly 24 hours in which time the damage was done, ouch!). My milk came in fine and I don't remember any pain while holding him to feed. Just the usual things like not being able to get out of a deep seat, sitting up from lying, and twisting from side to side. I honestly recovered much quicker than I thought I would and most of the pain was gone within the first two weeks. After that it was just comfortable. Good luck.
Both of my boys were born via emergency c-section.

I was in recovery for 2 hours after DS1 was born (I laboured for 36 hours and my body was in shock) and I couldn't have him with me. But, he attached straight away when I finally got to hold him and he breastfed without an issue for 12 months when he self-weaned.

DS2 came with me to recovery and he attached straight away. We had a lot of bf issues but, none of them had anything to do with the c-section.

Also, that old myth that your milk comes in later after a c-section is exactly that, a myth. The milk production is stimulated by the placenta coming away and is completely unaffected by the way in which you give birth.
Hi,
I had a c-section (due to my baby being in the transverse / sideways position) and l am still breastfeeding her, she's 6 months old. I had no trouble breastfeeding at all, my milk may have taken a little bit longer to come in, but l have nothing to compare it to, my milk came in at day 3 1/2, l expressed to hurry it up a bit. If its painful to feed, you can feed young babies in the football hold position, which l found great!
Good luck.
My fist bub was natural birth - bad tearing so I really feel for you - in comparision my second angel was a DD who was born via elective c-section and I found it hard for the first couple of days, until the mid-wife explained than when you have a c-section your milk can comes in slower, something to do with difference in timing of hormones released when you have a natural birth. Also found cramping when breast feeding was a tad more pronounced with her, however that could have had to do with her being second child tongue Little experimenting with positions, my fave was on my side with a pillow firmly against my tummy for support, however once I got past the initial part was smooth sailing for 11 months smile Remember everyone is different and good luck!!!
I had an emergency c-section and had no problem establishing breastfeeding. Sure you need help with being handed the baby and you need to use the 'football hold' feeding position initially, but it's all fine.

My gorgeous boy is almost 9months now and I am still breastfeeding.

I had a bit of a hard time with my c-section as I had a long labour and then an emergency caesarean. It took me ages to heal. But I have a happy and healthy bub! Who loves his food.

All the best. You will be absolutely fine. I think an elective c would be better for healing than an emergency one.
Thanks heaps to all of you who replied to my questions, much appreciated!!
Sign in to follow this topic