Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

C Sec with twins Lock Rss

Just curious to see if anyone has had a c section with twins?? Did you get any skin to skin contact straight after they were checked over?? WIth my first they put him on my boob for anout 3 mins ,then took me to recovery and i didnt get to see him for about 40 mins, but he did have skin to skin with my husband . smile

Im in the same boat as you, i talked to my OB and asked what the deal would be (leading baby is breach) and he promised skin to skin straight away, and if needed for what ever reaason then my husband can stand in for it. Midwife reckons that it can work just as well for the baby but obviously the mother doesnt get the hormone transferance that occurs.
hi there..Yeah i had my 1st by emergency ceasar and didnt realise that he wouldnt be with me the whole time sad cant imagine how its going to feel with two! there was literally no bonding time between me , hubby and baby all together! How are you going with yr pregnancy so far?? Has yr OB said how many weeks is the latest he will let u go? its a bit scary knowing that the babies could possibly arrive 4 -6 or even 8 weeks early! smile

Being a first time mum (and with twins) I am going to watch this post with interest. I just want them to be okay... but I really dont want the first vaginal and then an emergency C-sec. (Of course I would live with it, and the health of them is paramount - but sore girly bits and a C-sec do not make recovering straight forward I imagine.)
I am also pregnant with twins and am 15 weeks and 6 days. My Ob is already pushing for me to have a C-Sec but I would really like to at least try a vaginal birth (Thats if the babies are in the right position) and I'm fit and healthy. I dont know what to expect from either but I do know that I dont want my babies to be taken away for up to an hour after a C-Sec (just wouldnt feel right). Its all a bit scary, I hadnt even thought about taht b 4 reading this post!
Hi there

I had a C section with my first bub and didn't get skin to skin initially as they were sewing me up but as soon as I went into recovery i got skin to skin and was encouraged to breast feed, then that night in hosp I got so sick of asking a nurse to get bub out of her crib that I just slept with her on my bare chest. I found that a really nice experience.
This time round I have opted for a c section at 38 weeks which is supported by my midwife and ob.
I would push skin to skin straight away if possible but ultimately if bubs needs to have immediate care then that is what is most important.
Hope all goes well for you ladies no matter how you birth. smile
We had our identical twin girls 7 weeks prem via c section and unfortunately we were not able to have skin to skin contact straight away due to health reasons (umbilical cords weren't working properly). I was able to give the first baby a little kiss before going off to special care however not able to touch the second baby as she needed to be intubated.
I was however able to do kangaroo care (skin to skin) with both of them (seperatly and together) the next day. The girls were in special care for 5 weeks and i am happy to say that they are fit and health and doing everything expected at 8 months old.
I wish you all the best with your prenancy and would be more that happy to share experiences if you want to chat.
Claire
Hi, I had c-section at 34 weeks (TTTS), no skin contact, babies were cleaned and wrapped straight away, the doc put them on my chest, I couldnt hold them, I was really tired & sleepy from the Epidural and anasthetic. I didnt get to see them after 1-2 hours, cant even remember!

Angie9

I had ID girls 2.5 years ago. My OB said he did not do vaginal births with ID twins because of the risk (however low) of acute twin to twin transfusion syndrome. Lucky he did because I masked all the symptoms of this serious condition and at a routine scan at 34 weeks I was diagnosed with acute TTTS and had my twins 20 mins later under a general anesthetic. I saw them a few hours later and was able to kangaroo cuddle the recipient twin (the donor twin was quite ill). I am so happy with the birth of B&J...I don't think with twins and especially ID twins you can rely on any sort of "birth plan"...just go with the flow, the drs will do whatever is best for you and your bubbies!
...BTW if anyone has been affected by TTTS I am organising the first a meet up for International TTTS Awareness Day...here is the FB link
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=143896655623019
I had ID girls 2.5 years ago. My OB said he did not do vaginal births with ID twins because of the risk (however low) of acute twin to twin transfusion syndrome. Lucky he did because I masked all the symptoms of this serious condition and at a routine scan at 34 weeks I was diagnosed with acute TTTS and had my twins 20 mins later under a general anesthetic. I saw them a few hours later and was able to kangaroo cuddle the recipient twin (the donor twin was quite ill). I am so happy with the birth of B&J...I don't think with twins and especially ID twins you can rely on any sort of "birth plan"...just go with the flow, the drs will do whatever is best for you and your bubbies!
...BTW if anyone has been affected by TTTS I am organising the first a meet up for International TTTS Awareness Day...here is the FB link
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=143896655623019
Hi
I had identical twin girls by elective c section 3 yrs ago. They were born at 37+1 weeks which is full term for twins apparently.
I didn't get to hold them straight away, i saw 1st DD when her dad picked her up and quickly bought her over but then she was taken to special care. 2nd daughter had cord wrapped around her neck a couple of times and didn't cry when born which freaked me out big time so she was taken away. I didn't get to see them in recovery but 2nd DD was waiting for me when i was taken up to my room and DD1 stayed in special care for 3 days then came to join us.

Although you were asking about c/s, I just wanted to add this clip for your interest.
Good luck with your twins, what a beautiful gift!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=AU&feature=related&hl=en-GB&v=7E-wULAaD50
Sign in to follow this topic