Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Bonding with baby Lock Rss

Hi Guys

Just wanting to hear from mums who have gone through c sections and whether you felt it interfered with bonding with your baby?

There is a good chance I may need a c section, im ok with it. Im not scared as such Im just worried they will whisk my baby away from me and not let me hold him straight away.
I know with a natural delivery my OB will place my baby straight on my chest before cutting the cord. I think this time is really important between mother and baby.
Am I right in saying during a c section that they dont do this?

Hi Mellycolly,

I had no problems with bonding with my boy after a c-section. I still can't get enough of him. After he was delivered, I got to see him, then my partner trimmed the cord, he was wrapped up like a little eskimo and placed on me. After around 15-30 mins my partner took him and nursed him until I was out of recovery, as the maternity ward was very busy and the midwife was needed. It was in my birth plan to insist that the midwife stay with me, cause then my boy would have. I got too caught up in it and didn't protest. If we have a second I will make sure I do, as this birth experience is just as important as the next one she attends.
Hi i replyed one of your other posts before. Is this your first baby?? You seem to have lots of questions and are thinking lots about the birth process, which is great because that is how we prepare ourselves. But you also need to relax a bit too and just let this birth happen.
I word of advice I got from a wise lady was there has never been a case of a baby not being born, they all come out eventually and they are less work inside than outside- not as cute though.
I am worried that they want to induce you so early because inductions do have a high risk of c section births because they are not natural. Your cervix is not soft yet but that is most probably because you are not ready to have the baby yet.
I would talk to elder ladies that you trust about your questions. I suggest elder ladies because they birthed at a time of less intervention. Or contact a natural birthing association, you can google it maybe.
As females our main purpose is to reproduce. We are carefully made to birth babies but doctors now tend to get in the way and take over the natural birth process. We as women need to mentally if not physically take back the control of our bodys natural instincts.
I really wish you well and will be keeping an eye on your posts so I can see how you are going.
I have had three babies so anything I say I say from personal experience. I also home birth my babies so I am less conventional than others but have a lot of knowledge from my homebirth midwife.
Good luck I wish the best for you, enjoy your beautiful baby.

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

it depends on the hospital, how bubs is when they are pulled out. i had a emergency c/s with DS1 and he was given to DH and they left me to recover.

this time i am having an elective c section! If everything goes well i will be having skin to skin contact when she comes out and then i have told them i want her to go to DH while i am in recovery. The hospital i am at pushes skin to skin contact as much as possable. I would in your birth plan state that you want skin to skin if everything goes ok. hope this helps

1st baby due start of sep

i have had three c sections my first emergency

my second was emergency 5 weeks early but i was prepared for it as baby was having problems

my third so called elective

i got to kiss and cuddle all three straight away buy my second got wisked away within seconds my husband was hot on her trails my midwife stayed with me.... when my husband finally came back they took me to the nicu to see her...

my first i had cuddles with

my third we had basically skin on skin for 2 days as that was the only way to stop him crying and also we only dressed him to bring him home.... he just had a nappy on the rest of the time and slept with me untill i got home 7 days later...
I’ve been worried about the same think I had a traumatic first time 19hours of established labour to end up with emergency c-section once Jackson was out I held him for maybe 5-10 mins then the midwife n hubby took him while I was stitched n sent to recovery then I had trouble getting milk thro it took almost 4 weeks to come thro

My midwife has now told me this was likely to be from lack of skin to skin n the fact he didn’t go on the breast till about 3-4 hours after birth

I’m terrified the same will happen so I was leaning towards a c-section but worried I’ll have the same feeding troubles it was so hard to persevere last time the 4 weeks were hell but my midwife has told me the skin to skin is being pushed a lot more with c-sections they even would rather hubby not hold bub till after that first feed so I’m thinking if its elective n I make your wants clearer maybe I’ll get to keep this one longer??

Fingers crossed anyway!

I’ve been worried about the same think I had a traumatic first time 19hours of established labour to end up with emergency c-section once Jackson was out I held him for maybe 5-10 mins then the midwife n hubby took him while I was stitched n sent to recovery then I had trouble getting milk thro it took almost 4 weeks to come thro

My midwife has now told me this was likely to be from lack of skin to skin n the fact he didn’t go on the breast till about 3-4 hours after birth

I’m terrified the same will happen so I was leaning towards a c-section but worried I’ll have the same feeding troubles it was so hard to persevere last time the 4 weeks were hell but my midwife has told me the skin to skin is being pushed a lot more with c-sections they even would rather hubby not hold bub till after that first feed so I’m thinking if its elective n I make your wants clearer maybe I’ll get to keep this one longer??

Fingers crossed anyway!

I had a c-section about 12 weeks ago as we were waiting to start the Dr told me what was going to happen.When baby came out he would be placed on my chest (skin to skin) and would stay there while i was stiched and then would come with me to recovery.This didnt happen as he had 2 go to the nursery under oxygen and so forth but if my bub had not needed the oxygen i would have had him with me the whole time. It depends on Dr and hospital i think.

I had a c-section about 12 weeks ago as we were waiting to start the Dr told me what was going to happen.When baby came out he would be placed on my chest (skin to skin) and would stay there while i was stiched and then would come with me to recovery.This didnt happen as he had 2 go to the nursery under oxygen and so forth but if my bub had not needed the oxygen i would have had him with me the whole time. It depends on Dr and hospital i think.

thats great to know thank u i will definatly be more vocal about what i wont n ask to keep him close i was a bit lost last tiem when they took Jacskon lets hope this time i have more control grin
I ended up having an emergency csec with my 3rd bubba and I have bonded the same with him as my others (natural births). I did get to see him straight away then he was taken over the side of the room for hubby to cut the cord. He was bought back me very quickly though and got skin to skin contact. He then stayed with me in recovery and was allowed to have his first feed. I was still fedding him while they wheeled me into the labour ward smile

My little DS ended up being an emergancy csec as well. I was disappointed because I had always discussed skin-to-skin contact straight after birth.

Then because it took a long time for the drugs to wear off, I was in recovery for nearly 3hrs. Meaning that it was almost 3hrs before I even saw my son again (I had a brief look at him after they took him out before DP and the Midwifes had to take him to get all his shots)

At this point I was really worried that I wouldn't be able to bond with my baby.

When DP and the midwife finally brought DS down to me (they didn't want to wait any longer) DS was screaming and crying. The midwife told me that he had been crying the entire time even though DP had been holding him for most of the time.

But then they placed DS on my chest and straight away he calmed down.

I was so releaved and it made all my worries disappear. I think you forget(or I did) that babies recognize things from the womb so they know who there mummy is no matter what.

My DS is now 11 days old and things are great smile

Hi Guys

Just wanting to hear from mums who have gone through c sections and whether you felt it interfered with bonding with your baby?

There is a good chance I may need a c section, im ok with it. Im not scared as such Im just worried they will whisk my baby away from me and not let me hold him straight away.
I know with a natural delivery my OB will place my baby straight on my chest before cutting the cord. I think this time is really important between mother and baby.
Am I right in saying during a c section that they dont do this?

Hi there,
At our hospital they do skin-to-skin for c sections that involve a spinal. Part-way through my planned c section I was put under general anesthetic and did not get skin-to-skin for about an hour but DS did it with DH instead.
I did feel that it took a number of days (weeks even) for me to fall in love with my boy but I absolutely adore him now.
For the next baby I will need another c section and will be requesting a general anesthetic. Good luck with your bub.
Hey guys, do you have to go under general for any particular reason? My next pregnancy (not trying for a while lol, but just curious), I'm wanting an elective as I had an emergency CS last time.

I think I just had a spinal tap? Or maybe epidural? Definitely not general. I'm a bit worried as I do not want to go under general.
Sign in to follow this topic