Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Caesarean Births
  5. has anyone had a vbac after 2 or more csections

has anyone had a vbac after 2 or more csections Rss

Hi I am from Rockhampton and was wondering if any one out there has been givin the opp to have a vbac after two or more csections I am having my third baby first was a emergency csection due to lack of progress. 2nd was my silly fault for agreeing to do it to convienince family members. just wanted to know if i was able to have another attempt
thanks
Pretty sure that if you'vehad 2 c sections they won't let you do a VBAC.....not up here anyway.....
Hi,
Don't think they'll let you. I had a vbac baby earlier this year and all the paperwork I was given said after two c-sections you no longer had a choice. All babies after that have to be via c-section!
I'm in Sydney but it may be different in other states. I was told there would be too higher risk of the scar opening up after two!

Hi,
Don't think they'll let you. I had a vbac baby earlier this year and all the paperwork I was given said after two c-sections you no longer had a choice. All babies after that have to be via c-section!
I'm in Sydney but it may be different in other states. I was told there would be too higher risk of the scar opening up after two!

I'm in Queensland....further north than the OP....and that's what the 'rules' are here....
this might be a silly question but what the heck is a vbac?

Hi I am from Rockhampton and was wondering if any one out there has been givin the opp to have a vbac after two or more csections I am having my third baby first was a emergency csection due to lack of progress. 2nd was my silly fault for agreeing to do it to convienince family members. just wanted to know if i was able to have another attempt
thanks

hi there

I havent had a vba2c, but I hope to one day!!!! <span class="emoticon grin">grin</span>

You'll find heaps of info and other mums in your situation in the vbac thread, which can be found here.

It is definately possible to have a vaginal birth after 2 c/s. You will though have bit of a battle on your hands with regard to your obs and drs strongly advising you to go for another c/s.

What you need to do, is weigh up the pros and cons and decide what is best for you and your family. Dont be bullied into another c/s if that is not what you want and is ONLY for the convenience of the drs. Unless there is a true medical reason, a vbac is the safest method of delivery.

Good luck and I truely hope you do one day have a vba2c!!!

Rach
Vaginal Birth After C-section

Vaginal Birth After C-section

Big LOL I thought that might be what it was duh me

hi, im from Rockhampton too!! and ive had 2 c-sections too. In my particular case, if i fall pregant again, i will have no choice and must have a c-section, but in your case as the risks are not that high, you will probably find that the doctors will give you a choice and you can try for a vbac. but if the doctors see any problems or your labour wont progress then they would give you a c-section again. but as i said, they usually will let you try vbac if the risk is not high.
My ob just laughs every time I ask her that.. The third will be a section for me also..
We are looking very much into a vaginal birth for bubble, I have had 2 c-sections previous. My advice to you is get an independent midwife. They will be able to help you through the process and fight all your doctors battles for you because you will come up against a hell of a lot of resistence. Independent midwives tend to deal with vbac, vba2c etc everyday so they are a wealth of knowledge and whether it is possible. Just make sure the IM that you choose has hospital rights when it comes to the hospital that you pick because most of them only have certain rights within certain hospitals.

I have found that most (not all) hospitals have a policy on VBA2C they just don't advertise it and they don't advocate it. So you have to be pushy. Research it though, very thoroughly, make sure you are well aware of the risks from both sides. joyous birth forum has lots of info on it, they can be a bit full on but you will find many people there that have successfully achieved it. HTH's

DS1 4 yrs
DS2 2yrs
DD 1yr

[link=http://lilypie.com][/link]

Yes I successfully had a VBA2C in February!

Unfortunately I am in VIC so cannot help with suggestions re OB.

If you wish to see some VBAC or VBA2C stories then here is the link to the section in Huggies

https://www.huggies.com.au/forum/topic/422455-Vagianal-Birth-After-Caesarean-(VBAC)/page__st__540

some others:

http://www.birthrites.org/db/index.php

http://www.vbac.com/informedconsent.html

The difference between a VBAC and VBA2C is minimal, slightly increased risk of uterine rupture. The % is so slight anyways. As you laboured with your 1st this helps. Failure to progress does not mean it will happen again. Was it foetal distress?

My 1st was an emer c-section after 17 hours due to foetal distress. I didn't realise I had a choice with my 2nd and let the leading OB in our area book me in for a elective (crying each time he mentioned it & in theatre being prepped!). The 3rd was my VBA2C after a 27 hour or so labour with a supportive OB. My main issue was the supposed 'time frame' they try to put on you to labour during a VBAC. They aim for app 1 cm dilated per hour from start to finish. We wish! A VBA2C is simply a natural birth after having had a c-section. The difference being the risk of rupture which can be detected by monitoring or sharp pains in between contractions. The risk is obviously what happens if it does rupture, though the chances of this are slim. It does happen though, as a couple experienced this at my local hospital app 8 weeks ago, GBH to them.

Ask around, there must be an OB who will support you, do some research, find out what exactly happened to lead to your 1st c-section, see if a local hospital has a VBAC class and read some positive stories on the forum.

GONE ARE THE DAYS OF 'ONCE A CAESAR ALWAYS A CAESAR!!!'

GOOD LUCK!!!

Sign in to follow this topic