Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

GD c sec or vbirth Lock Rss

unsure I am 29 wks with my forth child and have ges. diabetes which i have never had in previous preg. Have had only natural birth up until now and have been told by a few ladies that i have a good chance of having a c sec...i am a bit worried about it.my doctor has said can go either way..my question is to other ladies who have been in similar situations with G.D did you have a c sec or natural labour and how common is it for ladies with G.D to have a c sec?
I've had gd with both my pregnancies and have had vaginal births with both. Both times I managed with diet only (DD from 30 weeks, DS from 12 weeks) and, because my levels were fairly well controlled, my hospital let me go naturally with both labours. DD I went into labour on my edd and had her after a 5hr 55min labour. DS I went into labour 9 days before my edd and had him after a 3hr 35min labour.

Having GD doesn't mean that you'll have to have a c-section but, depending on how your blood sugar levels go, you will probably find that your hospital won't let you go full term. I was told with both of mine that if I'd needed insulin they would have been looking at inducing me at around 38-39 weeks, but I believe that varies between hospitals. I would expect that, if there is any intervention with your labour, it would be to induce you, which would still allow you to attempt a vaginal birth. I believe that its the induction itself not the GD as such that can increase the chance of needing a c-section/further intervention but I've never been in that situation so can't speak from experience.

If you've got any concerns, the best person to ask is your midwife/dr as they will be able to tell you what the policy is for your hospital (every hospital deals with GD differently).

All the best.

Leisa.
Exactly what Leisa said...

I had GD with my second pregnancy, and was insulin dependent (4 shots a day). I had regular sizing scans and was told they wouldn't let me go over 39 weeks, and if sizing scans revealed baby was growing too rapidly, induction would be closer to 38 weeks.

Unless you have a very oversized baby inside there is really no greater chance of you having a c section than any other pregnant person.

I went into spontaneous labour at 36+6 in my GD pregnancy and 25.5 hours later DD2 was born, without the need for a c section. I had sugar levels monitored every two hours throughout the pregnancy and close watch was kept on DD2 as well.

Best of luck, and I hope you can control it with diet alone, needles suck lol
double.
I agree with PP's, GD doesnt mean you'll have a c-section. I was mis-diagnosed and told i didnt have GD when i actually did so i ended up with a BIG baby (10p 4o) and i had a c-section becoz he was breach (face first) other wise i would have gone natural aswell..

My Doc has acted as if I will have GD again and controlling through diet, but Im going for another c-section as I cant be induced and as i have to travel over an hour and half to the Womens & Childrens hospital in the city i dont want to be doing that while contracting etc would rather have a set date etc. smile Good Luck and i hope ur birth goes smoothly.
I had GD with both my first and second pregnancies and will probably get it this time as well, both times were controlled by diet. I was induced at 41 weeks with DS1 but ended up having an emergency caeser because he got distressed (after 13 hrs of labour and 8cms dilated mind you) and with DS2 I had an elective caeser.

Had GD with both my last two and Pumba was diet controlled and they were going to induce me at 38.5 weeks but he would not wait lol, Drew was insulin 4 x day and levels were not controlled he was going to be more at risk for C-sect because A: he was measuring 4 weeks ahead in size, B: my levels were rediculous and erratic causing me to have bad highs and lows C: I had developed other problems as my preg progressed

Now even with Drew they really do want you to have a natural so I was booked to be induced at 38 weeks but went early again I had a few issues and was a priority 1 high risk BUT I wanted to try natural and the doc agreed with me (all others were natural delivery) I was lucky enough to have him natural but only just lol had the Aenethisist in the room and theatre ready lol

The only things I can say are relax there is nothing you can do other then try and control your levels (which I know first hand sometimes can not be done no matter how hard you try) rest when you can, keep up your fluids (water) and look after yourself. Talk to your OB and endo about it and tell them your wants - there are no decission that can be made for some time yet, closer to due date they will then explain what they think is the best for you and baby and remember that they will be keeping a close eye on you and bubba at that time

Remember as Christy said if GD is the only factor and the baby is growing at a normal rate you are at no higher risk then you would be without GD
If you need to chat or have any other questions just ask chick smile

Hey Christy - how are your levels now lol lol lol

Leigha''s little men smile

I am 29 wks with my forth child and have ges. diabetes which i have never had in previous preg. Have had only natural birth up until now and have been told by a few ladies that i have a good chance of having a c sec...i am a bit worried about it.my doctor has said can go either way..my question is to other ladies who have been in similar situations with G.D did you have a c sec or natural labour and how common is it for ladies with G.D to have a c sec?

Hi i had GD and had a natural birth had to be induced though a day over..
Good luck with everything
I had a c section at 41 weeks, GD was one of the factors but also she hadnt dropped at all and i had a low platelete (spelling!) count, also i had a private OB and I think they love c sections lol!
Sign in to follow this topic