Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Your C Section Experience Lock Rss

Hi Ladies,

Just curious in Ur C section experiences. I am planning to have a elective C section due to a traumatic first birth and OB is happy to perform the Op for me.

All I read is the risks and what can go wrong. Just wanting to hear real stories from real women. If u did encounter problems do share this too.

Thanks so much xxx
hi i too had a traumatic birth with ds and had to have surgery to recover and physio i had my dd 4mths ago by c sec had no choice i had the same ob and he said its my only option, alot of people told me how sore you are after it but compaired to my nat birth it was nothing yeah it was tender but i was up the next day by day 7 i was great still alittle sore but so much easier.

i hope this helped , my c sec went to plan no complications so i guess i knew what to expect . b ut with my natural birth i didnt expect the trauma i had and it still affects me let me no how u go x
great idea doin your research smile

The only negative experience I had (which I'm still coming to terms with) is that I had an extremely rare reaction to the anaesthetic in which I was numb from the tips of my fingers right up to both my elbows which meant immediate skin to skin contact was a no go for me sad

I was whisked away to recovery where even after the numbness wore off I was kept there for 3 hours without the staff allowing me to see my son..that of course is down to the hospital.

As far as moving around goes I was up and doing things the following day, I do still get a little pain where my scar is when I work out. Nothing major though..all the best!

hi i too had a traumatic birth with ds and had to have surgery to recover and physio i had my dd 4mths ago by c sec had no choice i had the same ob and he said its my only option, alot of people told me how sore you are after it but compaired to my nat birth it was nothing yeah it was tender but i was up the next day by day 7 i was great still alittle sore but so much easier.

i hope this helped , my c sec went to plan no complications so i guess i knew what to expect . b ut with my natural birth i didnt expect the trauma i had and it still affects me let me no how u go x

Thanks Ri Ri,

So happy ur experience was a good one. I feel the same as u I was not prepared with the trauma I experienced with my Natural VB. I guess the chances of complications with a professional and experience OB would be pretty slim? (with C section)

Im not due for this baby till April so I still have a good 13weeks smile but I think Im very close to C section route smile

great idea doin your research smile

The only negative experience I had (which I'm still coming to terms with) is that I had an extremely rare reaction to the anaesthetic in which I was numb from the tips of my fingers right up to both my elbows which meant immediate skin to skin contact was a no go for me sad

I was whisked away to recovery where even after the numbness wore off I was kept there for 3 hours without the staff allowing me to see my son..that of course is down to the hospital.

As far as moving around goes I was up and doing things the following day, I do still get a little pain where

Thanks Mel smile

That is awful not being able to see ur son for 3 hours sad how long ago was ur C section? I think the hospital im going too now is changing policies. So even after a natural birth they dont weight the baby until u have feed them... which I think is a good idea. I think they do promote contact after ceaser too I will have to look into that smile
Hi, I had an elective CS with my second after an emergency CS with the first. I don't think I lost sight of him at all, bub was put on my chest for a cuddle first, then hubby went to the side of the room with him to cut cord, check breathing etc. I was feeding him in recovery while waiting for sensation to come back in my legs, the midwives helped position him because I couldn't move. It was a really great experience. Yes the recovery is hard, but within a day you are walking around, and by the time I went home I was feeling great just a little tender.

The only real downsides I had were
1. a mild reaction to the anaesthetic where i vomited on the op table, but the soon stopped it.
2. no lifting or driving for 6 weeks makes it hard to get around.
My C sec was 4 months ago, they also promoted skin to skin contact but i couldn't hold him. The midwife did try and hold him on me..and i remember thinking "he's def a boy" as the first thing i saw were his balls in my face wink

You'll be fine, everyone i know has had really positive experiences, i was just unlucky.

Keep us posted smile
Just to make you feel better (and in full honesty) I didn't have any issues with my C-section.

The only thing I could possibly complain about was an itchy nose for a day or so! It was apparently from the pain killers. That being said, how could I complain?

My son was born at 9:30 am and I had a shower at 11:30am. Well pretty much as soon as I got back to my room after being stitched up ect. and the ob. came and checked me out and said if I feel up to it, go for it! I went for a walk around the ward at around 2pm.

The only time I felt any pain was if I moved really suddenly. It was a sharp pain but gone in a few seconds. I just had to move slowly and smoothly.

I went home by choice after three days (which was early then being three years ago) so they got someone to come to my house and check on me. I was so bored in there!!! I also had a 15month old at home so I would rather be there.

No issues afterwards either.

Goo luck and I hope yours is as simple as mine!

Hi - I had an emergency c-section. I remember the worst bit at the time being the uncontrollable violent shaking I had after having all the epidural (also had vomiting with it but they gave me maxalon), and had to have my arms out beside me so couldn't touch or cuddle DS immediately but he lay on my chest so I could look at his face.

In the recovery room I bled quite a lot nearly had to have a transfusion. I didn't really feel unwell though, and you are given plenty of painkillers so not really that sore either. The nurses basically did their thing changing my pads etc and helped position DS for his first BF within the first hour once I was stable.

Had to have a catheter but that was out pretty quickly though was quite unsteady getting to the toilet and passing yucky blood clots. Also took a few days and some laxatives to get things going!

Was home on day 5 and was fine looking after DS, just took it quite easy. DH did the housework and friends brought meals.

I remember thinking at the time that it was horrible and I would never have another baby. But I think that's because I went through such a long labour process before having the emergency c-sec. And I've changed my mind about another baby and I would probably choose an elective C-section.

Hi. I've had 2 c/sections. 1st- emergency, 2nd elective.

With my first, it did take the whole 6 weeks to heal. I remember walking around the shops after about 5 1/2 weeks, and it still hurt sad. But I have no other complaints from that one. I held DD1 in the op theatre and recovery room, was having a shower the next day (approx 16 hours later), off all pain meds after 2 weeks and no scar soreness.

My second was fine too (although I had suffered a uterine rupture before my surgery, which was quite painful!). I did have a severe reaction to Maxalon that time though and had a bit of a flip out (apparently) and did not see DD2 for a couple of hours due to other meds. I was out cold! With my second, I was up the following day and off all meds by day 8. Healed alot quicker second time around. I left hospital after 48 hours.

That's all I can think of for now. Good luck with your decision smile

Hi,

I had a c-section with my first baby (almost 3 years ago now). He was breech so i couldn't deliver him naturally.
The c-section itself went really well. The only trouble i had after was for the following few weeks i had pain in my right sholder which i was told was just a reaction to the anaesthetic. it made it very difficult to lay down flat so i slept proped up on pillows for a few weeks.
The support of my husband and close family made things easier as far as the recovery goes coz your limited to what you can do for a good 4-6 weeks while your wound heals.

i'm having another c-section this time round aswell (due at the end of feb), due to some health issues i have.
The doctors always say that there are risks involved and yes there are but there are also risks involved in anything you do. The way i look at it is, as long as you end up with a healthy baby and a healthy you, then its all worth it.

I hope that helps a bit. good luck and hope it all goes well for you.
I've had 2 c-s's...my DS's are 3yrs and 15mths...I had problems with both of my c-s's but there are risks with everything. My main problems are due to the pain killers which I'm allergic to, so the pain was intense & with my 2nd c-s my uterus tore as the baby was being delivered but after research & reassurance from my Dr it should not affect my next pregnancy & worse case at birth is removal of my uterus & to be honest I dont mind never getting a period again...lol....i think the worse thing about having a c-s is the recovery, if you have a really good support team then you will be fine, not being able to pick my 22mth up after my 2nd c-s was a killer for me & i didn't have anyone to clean or cook so I was extremely tired and with the 2nd, you can't sleep when the new baby sleeps cause you have a toddler...but I survived, I'm still tired, but loving my boys..good luck with yours
Sign in to follow this topic