Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Elective CSection and anaemia Lock Rss

My first was born via emergency csection. I'm scheduled to have bub# 2 in two weeks time by elective csection.
I had my 36 week bloodtests done at the hospital (public patient) yesterday, and I had my doctors appointment there thismorning. All they said was everything is looking good, no more appointments with them apart from pre-op appointment next week.
Anyway, when I got home I had a heap of missed calls from DH and my GP. DH said GP wanted to talk with me ASAP.
So when I first started speaking with my GP we thought he had the wrong person - name mixup or something because he thought I had had a blood transfusion. I said no that's not me. He asked if I'm pregnant - well yes. And we checked all of of the other details and is WAS me... just I haven't had a transfusion - yet.
So he told me next week at pre-op they will determine if they can go ahead with the csection the following week, and I may need a blood transfusion.

I'm scared and feel a little left in the dark. Why in the world would my doctor at the hospital not have this information before or at the same time as my GP.
Is it too late to completely turn my iron levels around at this stage so that I won't need a transfusion? (supplements, red meat etc).
I'm also worried that bub will want to come sooner.
sad
Hi There,

I had my son 14 weeks ago via c-section.
Towards the end of my pregnancy no one told me about how seriously low my iron was. I lost a lot of blood during the surgery and when i was tested after the surgery my iron was even lower!
They offered me a blood or an iron transfusion and i opted for the iron transfusion. I had the transfusion a week after the birth.

I too felt angry that no one explained how low it was etc

One thing that upsets me a little is because i was so low in iron i cant remember the first few days sad

If i were u i would be getting as much iron in you between now and your delivery date, it will all help!

Good luck with it all, i turned out ok so im sure everything will turn out fine! smile
I would be getting onto the iron supplements, but remember they can constipate you fairly badly, so make sure you drink plenty and add fibre to your diet. If water and fibre don't work, try some duphalac it is a laxative that is very safe to use in late pregnancy. It makes the poo slippery so it comes out easier. Doesn't give gripeing pain like other laxatives. If your iron levels are still low and they go ahead with c-section be prepared to feel very flat for a few days afterwards. My iron levels were low, but not real bad with my second c-section, but then during the op I bled and it really knocked me for a sixer for a few days after.

I'm scared and feel a little left in the dark. Why in the world would my doctor at the hospital not have this information before or at the same time as my GP.
Is it too late to completely turn my iron levels around at this stage so that I won't need a transfusion? (supplements, red meat etc).
I'm also worried that bub will want to come sooner.
sad

It sometimes takes a while for non-urgent tests to come through. If you only had your blood test yesterday it's possible your iron levels weren't back yet when you had your appointment in the morning.

Start taking supplements asap. Don't stress about it. Never know, you might only have minimal blood loss. It's an elective C-section so things will be well controlled in theatre. If worse comes to worse and you need a transfusion - it's no biggie. As long as you and bub are ok - it's all that matters. You can't stress about everything that could go wrong during labour.
My iron levels were low, but not real bad with my second c-section, but then during the op I bled and it really knocked me for a sixer for a few days after.

Sorry I should've stated this was an emergency c-section which is more likely to have a bleed. My other two c-sections were elective and never had any problems with blood loss.
Sign in to follow this topic