Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

caesaerean choice and closure Lock Rss

Hi everyone.

I had my son by emergency c section (he was in distress and undiagnosed breech) 10 years ago and have always been happy with my scar, it is perfectly straight and barely visible, it healed really nicely.
I am 3 weeks away from my number 2 son arriving and I am having an elective c section.

My question is, has anyone else felt like they were being coaxed into not having a c section? My midwife kept saying she would support whatever I decided but then kept going over and over the risks, THEN the consultant at my booking in appointment looked at me as if I was taking the easy option, and my whole appointment was done within 20 minutes...I felt as if she thought I was wasting her time so I never asked all my questions.
Secondly, has anyone requested the way their scar is closed? My first one was sutured and because of how it healed I really want it sutured this time too, not stapled...Again the consultant was less than entusiastic at me asking for a certain way.
Hey there, i also had a C-section for both my daughters, my first was breech and ready to come so i didnt have much of a choice, but with my second i elected to.

When i was talking to midwives they all told me (like they're telling you) that its my decision and i should go with what my gut is telling me to do but the second i told them i wanted another c section i was given pamphlets and lectured about safety, etc... I had done the research, i had thought long and hard about it, but thats not enough for them apparently.

I also asked about the stitches and everything, i was sure of only one thing: I did not want staples. Im not overweight and unless they botched the stitching i didnt see any reason for them, but i wanted to be sure they werent going to spring them on me. All i got for that question was "Oh, its up to the surgeon at the time" then in theatre i asked and the surgeon gave me a filthy look and said he doesnt use them if he doesnt have to....Oh, im sorry doc, im psychic, i forgot.

Hopefully that helps...im not sure it will actually but at least you know you're not alone lol
Hi Darl, Ive just had my second C-Section, first was emergency due to breech also (face presentation) so when I fell pregnant with DS2 i said i wanted a C-Section straight up. I didnt give them a choice and perhaps coz there is only 22 months between my sections they agreed without looking at me the way you describe ur's looking at u. Which I think is wrong of them, its ur personal choice, no one should be made to feel bad or "taking the easy way out" becoz that right there is wrong, C-Sections are NOT easy, but Harder than natural coz u cant move for 24 hours, u cant lift anything but ur baby for 6 weeks after.... Oh i could go on & on LOL but its ur choice darl, dont let them bully u into something u dont want. And as for choice of closure i think you can choose, dont quote me as i choose to do a trial where they didnt know what way they were doing it until they opened the bag.. lol Im a guinea pig tongue
ETA: I also dont think they staple anymore, they use a stitch you get removed or they use disolvable ones, well thats what they told me, i have the removable ones.

Good Luck and all the best! I hope you get the birth YOU want and not what they push you into xo
I have had 2 natural births and 1 emergency caesaerean. Natural births are so much easier so you should consider why you would want a caesar if it is not needed. the pain and inconvenience of recovery is not something I would ever choose if I didn't have to. why don't you wait and see how the labour goes before you decide
I too think that the natural birth is much easier. But I had an elective c-section due to baby being breech. Then I tried for VBAC and the whole time I was pregnant I had the opposite problem they were pressuring me to have a c-section. 18hrs after my water broke I had to have an emergency c-section because the scar tissue from the previous c-section stopped my labour from progressing past 5cm dilation. I had a bleed during c-section, which left me feeling drained and I ended up getting an infection too. Was put on some heavy duty anti-biotics. I had an elective one with my 3rd baby because I couldn't have gone through that again.

Listen to what your gut is telling you to do, because that it the right thing for you. If you have the c-section, make sure you have people around to help you out for the 6 weeks after. I have found with my c-sections that the recovery from each c-section was longer and longer. Look after yourself sweetie and whatever choice you make is right for you:)
Thanks Ladies!!
I stood my ground and am having my c section, I had a great experience 1st time and was able to enjoy my baby straight away without being absolutely exhausted..everybody and every pregnancy is different but I know I have made the right decision for me.

I was told the closure was up to the surgeon too, but I'm just going to keep on and on at them so I get my suture.

Nice to know I am not alone, thanks again smile

Hey there, i also had a C-section for both my daughters, my first was breech and ready to come so i didnt have much of a choice, but with my second i elected to.

When i was talking to midwives they all told me (like they're telling you) that its my decision and i should go with what my gut is telling me to do but the second i told them i wanted another c section i was given pamphlets and lectured about safety, etc... I had done the research, i had thought long and hard about it, but thats not enough for them apparently.

I also asked about the stitches and everything, i was sure of only one thing: I did not want staples. Im not overweight and unless they botched the stitching i didnt see any reason for them, but i wanted to be sure they werent going to spring them on me. All i got for that question was "Oh, its up to the surgeon at the time" then in theatre i asked and the surgeon gave me a filthy look and said he doesnt use them if he doesnt have to....Oh, im sorry doc, im psychic, i forgot.

Hopefully that helps...im not sure it will actually but at least you know you're not alone lol

Yea I am going to keep pestering until I KNOW they will suture me, if only to get me to shut up, I had it put in my notes and I highlighted it on the pre admission form too. I got all the lectures and pamphlets too....I had already read copious amounts of research about it all too and there are just as many risks naturally for baby and us as there is with a c section..fingers crossed I feel like I did last time and don't eat my words haha
Good for you!! TBH i found the experience different second time around but i didnt regret my decision, so i hope its the same for you.

I just had this strong feeling that i would end up in emergency if i tried for a natural birth and didnt want to risk it, they had to put up with my decision at the end of the day.
Good on you for standing your ground and going with the c-section. I also think keep up nagging for the suture. I had staples the first time and what a mess. I had a different Dr do my second c-section and he had to clean up the scar tissue from a poor job. He used a special suture that left me with a nice clean scar. The last one I just had this tape stuff on it. I had so many complications after the last one. The wound kept breaking down and took forever to heal. Staples and tape both times the wound broke down badly. Suture got a little bit weepy, but healed up quickly.
Having a ceaseraran can be a choice and shouldn't be looked down on. People always have their reasons to judge others but in the end, who gives a hoot what they think. What you think is what matters.

Just be firm in telling the doctors and nurses your wishes, if you waiver, they will play that to their advantage. I'm glad they came round for you.

With the sutures, I would think they should know what is done in their hospital. They would have X amount of OBs and X amount under normal circumstances, would use a particular type or suture. They should be able to tell you this. I personally had one running removable suture with a small weights on the ends like a fishing sinker. At removal they snip the ends and just pull the suture threw.

Good luck to everyone wanting the choice a ceasearan.

Having a ceaseraran can be a choice and shouldn't be looked down on. People always have their reasons to judge others but in the end, who gives a hoot what they think. What you think is what matters.

Just be firm in telling the doctors and nurses your wishes, if you waiver, they will play that to their advantage. I'm glad they came round for you.

With the sutures, I would think they should know what is done in their hospital. They would have X amount of OBs and X amount under normal circumstances, would use a particular type or suture. They should be able to tell you this. I personally had one running removable suture with a small weights on the ends like a fishing sinker. At removal they snip the ends and just pull the suture threw.

Yes that is hat I had with my son and was really pleased with it..I'll keep mentioning it until they agree wink

Good luck to everyone wanting the choice a ceasearan.
Hi,

Not trying to be negative, but I work in a hospital and all surgeons have different preferences when it comes to suturing or staples.

Sometimes it will depend on whether or not you have had a previous section and if they go through your old scar, and how well your old scar healed. It may also change if they need to get you closed up quickly, ie to stop blood loss. And some Ob's just prefer staples. I've seen both done and staples can heal beautfully when done well.

All the best for your C-section, just keep in mind the Ob is the one doing the op and they will do what they think is best for your health, not necessarily what you think will look best.
Sign in to follow this topic