Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

C-section for twins Lock Rss

Hi Everyone,

Had my first ob appt yesterday (am pregnant with twins) and told the dr that I wanted to have whatever birth plan was safest for the babies. He has said that in that case I will have a c-section. I thought this would be the case as it carries less complications for the babies, even though is not necessarily the best option for me. Just wanted to find out how long it took you to recover after this procedure. Also, for those of you out there that had twins, how did you deliver?
Can I ask him who the birth option is better for? you or him?? Sorry to be blunt but I would be looking into a bit more first, the recovery from a Csection is a lot longer compared to a natural delivery and going natural is obviously better for you, my sister asked the same question of her OB... and his answer? let the babies decide! If the were head down and engaged and in good positions to birth then she would have them naturally, she did, 6 hrs from the 1st twins' water breaking to delivering the 2nd one... the only interference she had was they broke the 2nd twins water once twin 1 was born to move her a little quicker, personally I would be getting a 2nd opinion
I had c-section for my twin girls. I was in the hospital for only 3 nights and was up and moving on the second day. The pain medication was great but I was lucky to have my hubby and mun around to help. I would have made a full recovery quickly however I managed to develop a uterine infection and was readmitted. I am sure you will be fine - just be open to accepting any pain meds on offer smile

Can I ask him who the birth option is better for? you or him?? Sorry to be blunt but I would be looking into a bit more first, the recovery from a Csection is a lot longer compared to a natural delivery and going natural is obviously better for you, my sister asked the same question of her OB... and his answer? let the babies decide! If the were head down and engaged and in good positions to birth then she would have them naturally, she did, 6 hrs from the 1st twins' water breaking to delivering the 2nd one... the only interference she had was they broke the 2nd twins water once twin 1 was born to move her a little quicker, personally I would be getting a 2nd opinion

I agree with Jess, I would get a second opinion. I have had 2 Csections and would rather a natural over them any day. My friend had twins and delivered both naturally with no complications, she had a fast labour. If the babies are both head down and in good positions I don't see why you would need the Csection??
Hi
Thanks for your advice, what did you do in relation to feeding as I have heard that after c-section you are not able to hold your baby?

Hi Everyone,

Had my first ob appt yesterday (am pregnant with twins) and told the dr that I wanted to have whatever birth plan was safest for the babies. He has said that in that case I will have a c-section. I thought this would be the case as it carries less complications for the babies, even though is not necessarily the best option for me. Just wanted to find out how long it took you to recover after this procedure. Also, for those of you out there that had twins, how did you deliver?

are you having ID or fraternal twins? my OB did say that the type of twins you are having can affect how you birth them

i had my twins (they are fraternal) naturally - 12hrs from very first contraction to delivering the placenta. DS1 was head down from early on in the pregnancy so my OB was happy for me to have a normal delivery (as long as i didnt develope any complications which thankfully i didnt). i did need an epidural tho which was a good thing as DS2 did not want to come out so 1 dr had to turn him internally while another was trying externally lol

definately do some research and talk to other drs and other tiwn mums smile
Holding your babies post-op shouldn't be a problem. Some women find it painful as the way they hold the baby to feed can be in the way of the wound. There should be plenty of support for you to do this comfortably though.
ITA with pps though, get a second opinion. Surgery is rarely safer than a normal birth.

Hi
Thanks for your advice, what did you do in relation to feeding as I have heard that after c-section you are not able to hold your baby?

I held my babies both times straight after the birth, the only thing I had trouble with was lifting them out of the cot next to bed at first as I was not able to move much, but by the next morning I was able to get out of bed and that was not a problem. That first night I just buzzed the nurse and got them to pass me bub and then put bub back when I was finished feeding and changing them etc. I just sat up and changed them on the bed.
I have never had twins, but I know two ladies who have sucessfully birthed twins naturally.

Our bodies are made to birth babies, I think that we froget that sometimes. smile

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

This will be very dependent on the types of twin pregnancy. Fraternal twins are safest to deliver vaginally. There is the risk of acute twin to twin transfusion syndrome during a vaginal birth in ID twins and I personally know of extremely serious complications that have occurred this way. Some doctors are still not aware of how serious ttts is. If I have "listened to my body" or "just let it happen naturally", or "let the babies decide", well....they would be dead. Most OBs, will deliver ID twins via c-section at around 36 weeks. I had an emergency c-section when acute ttts was detected. I was driving one week later (girls were is special care for 4 weeks), so I had to drive back and forth with expressed milk for them to be tube fed. As for breast feeding, that will really depend on how premmie they are and if they require tube feeding. But I did manage to B& for 8 weeks. Mine refused to twin feed, so I did them one at a time. Formula was great after the 8 weeks smile
You will get wonderful advice from all the mums on here but unless someone has had twins of their own they can't really comment on the physical, emotional and medical demands that are place on you during pregnanacy and birth. Twins are higher risk than singleton's and yes some women are able to deliver naturally but at the end of the day if you choose or a c section is recommended then that is the best way for your bubs to be delivered. I know it isn't relevant to this post but although yes our bodies are made to deliver babies i wonder what some women would choose when faced with the decision of natural birth v's healthy baby!!!
My twins were delivered at 33 weeks via c section and although i would have loved to deliver natually i am more at peace with 2 living babies and a scar.
I was up and walking the night of my c section and although my girls were in NICU i had no troubles holding them. Although some woudn't recommend it i was also driving after 4 weeks without any issues. Check with your insurance company first.
As Wilco said it will depend when your babies are delivered as to their ability to suck and feed. My girls were born without a suck reflex so were tube fed for almost 4 weeks. We did try breast feeding but is wasn't successful however they did get breast milk for that 4 weeks then onto formula. A good lactation consultant should be able to help with feeding but it will be a bit of trial and error at first.
I wish you all the best with your pregnancy and take care you have very special cargo on board smile
Furgus I do agree a c section is better if the health of the baby is at stake BUT it could well be that a V birth will be fine, The OP has not said if the twins are Fraternal or ID yet... and I am aware that is a factor, I just hate an OB saying C section straight up... and someone mentioned they will likely do a C at 36 wks... why? My sis carried hers until just over 37 wks, so they were full term.... personally it is NOT something I would go into lightly and I would be getting a 2nd opinion and asking that OB a lot more questions about it...
Sign in to follow this topic