Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Caesarean Births
  5. C-section complications - traumatic birth

C-section complications - traumatic birth Lock Rss

Hi,
I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced a similar thing to me during childbirth.... (I think to help me come to terms with it a bit better too wink
After a very long labour and extra long second stage, no 'bearing down' feeling and my contractions stopped; I had an emergency c-section. As my bubs was well and truly stuck, there was a lot of difficulty trying to pull her back out of the birth canal and during the process my uterus ripped. The rip was long, it went all the way around the back of my uterus and to sew it back together they had to remove it. In the process they accidently snipped one of my fallopian tubes - but couldn't sew it back together as I was loosing too much blood too fast and they were more concerned with saving my life. They also had to cut the broad ligament in half to get to everything done. But I survived and so did my beautiful baby (who by the way did not suffer any stress or anything, she came out perfect, as if nothing had happened!) So I can't have children the good old natural way - there is something wrong with the shape of my pelvis. And my c-section scar is about 20cm long... I have been given the all clear to have another child - but not for at least two years, and it'll be considered high risk as the uterus is now quite weak from the damage.
I feel very angry towards the midwives looking after me as there were signs things weren't right (e.g. no baby decent, contractions slowing) but they still insisted I push (for over 2.5 hours). The outcome of my birth would have been the same no matter what, but the length of time I was in labour could have been much shorter... this was in a public hospital and the head Dr ended up taking over and I never saw any of the midwives again.
I suppose what I want to know is whether anyone else has had a similar thing happen? And have you gone on to have anymore children? How did you cope with it all? It's now 4 months on and I have finally stopped dreaming about being on the operating table and no longer have panic attacks, but I still feel angry...
i just wanted to say I"M SO SORRY THIS HAPPENED TO YOU!

you poor thing. i don't have any experience with this but maybe next time if you can afford it see a obgyn.

good luck with everything

hugs xx

The day i broke up with normal was the first day of my magical life...

Hi,
I just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced a similar thing to me during childbirth.... (I think to help me come to terms with it a bit better too wink
After a very long labour and extra long second stage, no 'bearing down' feeling and my contractions stopped; I had an emergency c-section. As my bubs was well and truly stuck, there was a lot of difficulty trying to pull her back out of the birth canal and during the process my uterus ripped. The rip was long, it went all the way around the back of my uterus and to sew it back together they had to remove it. In the process they accidently snipped one of my fallopian tubes - but couldn't sew it back together as I was loosing too much blood too fast and they were more concerned with saving my life. They also had to cut the broad ligament in half to get to everything done. But I survived and so did my beautiful baby (who by the way did not suffer any stress or anything, she came out perfect, as if nothing had happened!) So I can't have children the good old natural way - there is something wrong with the shape of my pelvis. And my c-section scar is about 20cm long... I have been given the all clear to have another child - but not for at least two years, and it'll be considered high risk as the uterus is now quite weak from the damage.
I feel very angry towards the midwives looking after me as there were signs things weren't right (e.g. no baby decent, contractions slowing) but they still insisted I push (for over 2.5 hours). The outcome of my birth would have been the same no matter what, but the length of time I was in labour could have been much shorter... this was in a public hospital and the head Dr ended up taking over and I never saw any of the midwives again.
I suppose what I want to know is whether anyone else has had a similar thing happen? And have you gone on to have anymore children? How did you cope with it all? It's now 4 months on and I have finally stopped dreaming about being on the operating table and no longer have panic attacks, but I still feel angry...

hi
this has never happened to me before i had all my children naturally and was shocked when i read your story so many things going wrong. at least your baby was perfect and healthy thats great. i only had one time in my labours where something went wrong but that was after my daughter was born the placenta got stuck i got to hold my daughter for a couple of mins while they put a drip in my arm to bring on labour once again the contractions made me have the urge to push which they thought was the placenta but it wasnt it was a massive blood clot i was rushed away from my baby to go and get the placenta taken out then becausethe drip was bringing on labour the contractions got so bad i couldn`t move i had an epidural and they pulled out the placenta but during the op i lost more blood i ended up with an oxygen mask a cathider (sorry i cant spell) and 2 lots of blood transfusion. i couldn`t stand up until the next day later in the day. but my princess was perfectly healthy and happy.

I hope when you decide to have another baby that things go alot smoother for you good luck.
I am so sorry to hear what happened to you. With my DS I was induced early as they were worried about how big he was getting and then had to have an emergency c-section after 27hours in labour. As it was emergency and I was in a public hospital it was performed by a resident. At the time it all seemed okay but was still quite upsetting. I just recently had baby no 2 and this time around I found an Obstetrician that I had complete confidence in and had a planned cesarean (not taking any chances this time around). While I was on the operating table my OB discovered that my previous c-section had been done using an out-of-date method meaning that my uterus wall had healed attached to my bladder. At some stage they had separated but it has left my uterus too thin to withstand another pregnancy and if I had gone into labour naturally it would more than likely have ruptured.
I know this isn't as bad as your experience, but I have now come to terms with the fact that I can't have anymore kids (I had wanted a big family) and it does get easier with time.
If you do decide to have another baby make sure you find an OB that you are happy with and they will be with you every step of the way. Perhaps you would find it helpful to speak to someone (a counselor or a mach nurse) to help you feel better.
So sorry that the birth was so traumatic. When it is time to have another baby I would find a good midwife and OBGYN to help you on your journey.

Here is a link to a support group in South Australia called CARES which is a all for women who had traumatic births and c-sections.
If you are not in SA then they might be able to point you in the right direction to find one near you. A friend has found them so helpful in her healing journey.

Thank you very much for your responses, there are some very kind words here smile
I am coping ok, I'm a very happy positive person, just feel a bit peed sometimes still. - Sorry didn't mean to make it sound like I wasn't coping. It's just nice to hear other peoples stories, helps keep things in perspective and stops me from over analysing and feeling too sorry for myself wink
Thank you again.
Hi, I am sorry to hear about all your problems.

I also had a tear in my uterus during an emergency CS, but mine was fairly minor, especially compared to yours! All the midwives said I was really lucky with the doctor who happened to be on that night, and he was well known for being one of the best (even though he had a really strong accent and I could barely understand him). My tear was shaped like a L , rather than a straight line cut, so just a tear at one end of the cut. Still, they recommended a elective CS for number two, and all went well that time. At least if you know you will be at risk, they can monitor you all the more, and book you in at an early safer time.
Hi, I suffered a ruptured uterus with my 4th baby. I had an emergency c-section with my first due to fetal distress, then 2 natural births. Was planning a natural with my 4th, but right towards the end of labour, when I was starting to feel the need to push, I was rushed off to the theatre as bubs heart rate was dropping and not coming back up. When I woke up after the c-section, I was told my uterus had ruptured and luckily they had got me to theatre in time otherwise things could have been fatal. Bubs was fine, just needed a little oxygen and monitored in the SCIU for a few days. I have been told I can have more babies if I want, but would need an elective c-section. Apparently the doc told me when he did the cut to get bubs out, she was already half out of the tear!! Not nice, but so glad I was being monitored during labour otherwise nothing would have alerted the docs that bubs heartrate was dropping.

Hi, I suffered a ruptured uterus with my 4th baby. I had an emergency c-section with my first due to fetal distress, then 2 natural births. Was planning a natural with my 4th, but right towards the end of labour, when I was starting to feel the need to push, I was rushed off to the theatre as bubs heart rate was dropping and not coming back up. When I woke up after the c-section, I was told my uterus had ruptured and luckily they had got me to theatre in time otherwise things could have been fatal. Bubs was fine, just needed a little oxygen and monitored in the SCIU for a few days. I have been told I can have more babies if I want, but would need an elective c-section. Apparently the doc told me when he did the cut to get bubs out, she was already half out of the tear!! Not nice, but so glad I was being monitored during labour otherwise nothing would have alerted the docs that bubs heartrate was dropping.

My gosh that sounds like a close call. So glad that you and bubs are both ok. Thank you (everyone above as well) for sharing your story, I find it so helpful to hear other stories. I can't believe how many people do have things go wrong, you never hear much about it.... kind of think those stupid birth preperation classes should mention some things.... obviously without scaring us all too much!
Sign in to follow this topic