Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Caesarean Births
  5. 2nd child, but having a c-sect

2nd child, but having a c-sect Lock Rss

Hi everyone,

Have had a fair bit of struggle this pregnancy with my hips and excruciating pain (plus the prolapse I got from my last fast labour), paired with being on strict bedrest now...the possibility of me getting a c-sect is high.

I have my 36 week hospital appointment on the 26th and will be requesting to have an elective c-section due to my prolapse and bladder issues from my last labour, my pelvis and hip pain that have been causing me vomiting, the runs and anxiety and panic attacks.I've had a scan and bub is measuring at least 1.5 weeks ahead.

I'm a bit scared about the prospect of having a c-section and have not taken this decision lightly as I really wanted all natural no drug approach...but my body is really not coping at all (hence the strict bed rest).

Since c-sections haven't been big in my family I was wondering if anyone would be able to provide me ANY information about what I can expect on the day, during the c-section, after the c-section, recovery, will I still be able to do the immediate skin to skin contact/feed once bub is out....or will I have to wait...who can be in the room...what the needle feels like :-S ANYTHING really.

Thank you so much for your help...I would like to make this experience pleasurable for myself and my partner...and our 3 year old daughter.

<a href="http://pregnancy.baby-gaga.com/">&l... src

First of all, Congratulations smile

When you are getting ready to go to theatre your partner will be taken aside to put on some scrubs, they will make sure he has his camera ready for the big moment. Meanwhile, you will be given a disgusting liquid to drink, i highly recommend doing it quickly lol its horrible haha

It's pretty relaxed when you have a planned c section. The anethesiologist (sp) will be talking you through everything, and they look after you throughout the whole thing. You will be shown how to sit while they insert the spinal/epidural. It stings for a second while they give you the local but after that, nothing. The nurses help you lie down and they will do little tests to make sure you dont feel anything. You will feel them rub ice over your belly and feeling the pressure is fine, but it wont feel cold. They explain all of this as you go. I remember freaking out at first but at the time of it, it was all easy.

With my first, the whole thing took less than an hour. I got to hold her almost straight away (with help, my arms were fairly useless lol), while they were stitching me up. In fact, they lower the curtain while she was being pulled out so i could see her come into the world smile

My girls were both taken to special care nursery for different reasons but after about two hours i was handed them over and breast fed. If you dont need the bub in special care nursery, they will let you cuddle while you're in recovery as long as your arms are strong enough. Actually, with dd1 mine still werent but the midwife got us both into a position where we were set and she helped hold her while i attempted to feed her.

On day five they remove your stitches. I was terrified of this, but it was fine.

Keep on top of your pain relief!! If i missed one, i was in agony, and getting up and down for the bubba is horrible if you arent taking it easy.

Anyway, i hope this eases your mind. I hope the day is wonderful for you. Listen to your body during the weeks after and you will be fine. Also on the day if you find they arent telling you enough about what's happening ask lots of questions, they dont mind. Good luck!

First of all, Congratulations smile

When you are getting ready to go to theatre your partner will be taken aside to put on some scrubs, they will make sure he has his camera ready for the big moment. Meanwhile, you will be given a disgusting liquid to drink, i highly recommend doing it quickly lol its horrible haha

It's pretty relaxed when you have a planned c section. The anethesiologist (sp) will be talking you through everything, and they look after you throughout the whole thing. You will be shown how to sit while they insert the spinal/epidural. It stings for a second while they give you the local but after that, nothing. The nurses help you lie down and they will do little tests to make sure you dont feel anything. You will feel them rub ice over your belly and feeling the pressure is fine, but it wont feel cold. They explain all of this as you go. I remember freaking out at first but at the time of it, it was all easy.

With my first, the whole thing took less than an hour. I got to hold her almost straight away (with help, my arms were fairly useless lol), while they were stitching me up. In fact, they lower the curtain while she was being pulled out so i could see her come into the world smile

My girls were both taken to special care nursery for different reasons but after about two hours i was handed them over and breast fed. If you dont need the bub in special care nursery, they will let you cuddle while you're in recovery as long as your arms are strong enough. Actually, with dd1 mine still werent but the midwife got us both into a position where we were set and she helped hold her while i attempted to feed her.

On day five they remove your stitches. I was terrified of this, but it was fine.

Keep on top of your pain relief!! If i missed one, i was in agony, and getting up and down for the bubba is horrible if you arent taking it easy.

Anyway, i hope this eases your mind. I hope the day is wonderful for you. Listen to your body during the weeks after and you will be fine. Also on the day if you find they arent telling you enough about what's happening ask lots of questions, they dont mind. Good luck!

Awwww thank you gasp) Every little detail will help. I've never had any surgery other than having a few teeth out when I was 9...and haven't even had stitches before lol! I guess it is something to be nervous about, but I know it's better for us both.

Thank you so much for your input xo

Hi there. I have two little girls-both were c-sections. The first was emergency my second was elective. They were both very different experiences entirely. But yours will be elective too so you dont need to hear all about my first.

I found with my second, everything was so calm. Relaxing. I was dressed. Had bloods taken. Everything was explained to me before anything happened but it does depend on where your having your bub. Everything nyla said happened to me. I got to say hello to my Eevi girl when she was half way out. THey sat s both up so we could see eachother. The cutest thing! My baby was weighed, Dad cut the cord had a cuddle while they fixed me up after the op. Then i was given bub who latched on straight away and fed. She stayed there and they even wheeled me from recovery back to my room with her asleep on my chest. It really depends on your circumstances but skin to skin happened almost immediately with my little one.
My husband was i the room but my sister had her hub and mum in with her so it depends on the ob. Needles are like any other. Just remain calm.
Recovery. I was up and about the next day. This was encouraged to get the muscles moving. Day 2 was the most painful for me. Take the drugs! What ever they have! And my big advice to you and anyone about to have a baby. Tell your visitors to either all come in the same afternoon so you can say your hellos meet bubby etc and then rest! Rest rest! Rest! You cant rest at home with your other little one like you will be able to in hospital. I got no sleep and constantly had visitors or doctors or cleaners coming in and went home exhausted!
I was up and about easily by week 2 . But you need to be careful. Dont over do it. Really rely on those who will help you.
Good Luck! Just take it all as it comes and you will be fine smile
All the best to you and your little one.
Hi,

I had a very similar experience to you. DD1 who is now 4 was a traumatic birth, 18 hours, labour not progressing, had to be induced, had an epidural and she came out by vaccuum. I had 2nd degree tearing and due to all this have a severe uterine prolapse.
DD2 was conceived through IVF and due to complications with my ovaries, my severe prolapse and a terrible pregnancy, my ob decided to to a c-section. I also had pelvic instability and restless legs as well. They were worried I wouldn't be able to push the baby out. DD 2 is now 6 months old.

The c-section went well. I went in about 11.00am to hospital and by the time everything was organised she was born at 1.42pm. I hated the spinal block going in but the operation was fine, I didn't feel any pain, just some pulling.

I found the 1st 2 days were the worst with the pain. I would take all the painkillers they give you. My only problem was severe constipation which resulted in me having 2 enemas. It took me 3 weeks before my bowels were normal again.

The whole experience was so much better with DD2 overall and I bonded quicker with her than I did with DD1. Unfortunately breastfeeding didn't work out but at 8kgs at 6 months, she's doing just fine, lol.

Good luck. xo

Thank you so much for all your replies smile

So basically I'm going public at Ipswich Hospital in QLD and I've been doing shared care with my GP.

I've rung up my Gyno and got him to send across my records for my visits with him about my prolapse, and I think pairing that with me letting them know the pain i'm in and how it's causing panic attacks I should have a good enough reason for wanting a c-section.

In all honesty I'm still scared. But I guess that would be the case with any surgery really. But in my birth plan, will I just write (like I would a vaginal delivery) that I want hubby to cut the cord and one of us to hold her first (me if i'm up for it, but him otherwise) and not be passed around unless absolutely necessary...Ummm, and then write that I want to breast feed ASAP. Would there be anything else that I should write in there that I'm forgetting?

I just want to make sure I cover everything so I can ensure that it is the best possible day as I was so set on having a vaginal delivery up until having my pelvis just causing so much pain.

If bub is measuring bigger like they say, would they have a problem in doing a c-sect at 38 weeks?

Sorry for all the questions!!

dd1 was born at 37+6 due to being breech. dd2 was born at 38+6...i was booked in for the next day but didnt make it laugh

Because yours is a medical reason i dont see why they would refuse to do the c section at 38 weeks, but as a pp said, it depends on the hospital. A lot of the time they wont do it until 39 weeks.
Everyone's experience is going to be different and I would just read everyone's responses and know that there are some things that are going to be standard and some that are not.

For me, Sofia had trouble regulating her oxygen levels and so I wasn't able to hold her straight away but hubby was still able to cut the cord and then went with her to the special care nursery until I came up after being in recovery (which was about an hour after they sewed me up - but only that long because it took about half and hour for someone in maternity to come and get me).

The only one thing that I didn't really expect was my mouth being really dry from having the oxygen on ... that was a bit weird ... and feeling rather doped out whilst it was on. But as soon as they were able to take it off I felt better within minutes.

They got me up the next day and as far as pain relief - I was given panadol and voltaren on a regular schedule but if I wanted something stronger was offered either morphine (needle) or endone (tablets) ... after a couple of goes on the morphine - which doped me out but didn't really take my pain away like I expected - I gave the endone a go - which didn't dope me out and DID take the pain away so would be my drug of choice for anything in the future.

Also - what stitches you have will depend on your hospital and may be something to ask them. I have disolving stitches only so nothing to remove which is great.

All the other advice that the girls have given is pretty much the same as mine - which was an elective csection after 2 vjay births due to size of baby - but in the end the dr told me that they don't think she would have come out on her own anyway so having done the csection was a good choice in the end ...

Good luck!!!
hi there

I have had 3 x c-sections )1st was an emergency then 2 x electives).

Pretty much everything mentioned here has been spot on, the only thing I would add is that everyone's body is different, so dont push yourself too hard to recover, just take things at your pace. If you are in pain now anyway, it may actually be a relief to have bubs out and healthy and you recovering in hospital where everything is monitored. Also stay on top of your pain meds, this makes it so much easier for your body to recover.

I opted for my 2nd c-section as an elective at RBH in Brisbane as a public patient. I was all psyched up for an argument and was expecting them to say no. but no-one blnked an eye when I said that was what I wanted and the midwifes set about organising it all. Was a huge relief!! with my 3rd I had placenta previa so no choice really, at least I knew what to expect!!

I was able to have skin to skin contact with all 3, the midwifes assisting with the positioning. My DS (1st born) was then taken away to special care for observations but both my daughters came straight to the ward with me.

Also as someone else mentioned, the doctors usually aim for 39weeks or as close as possible, just to give your bub the best start.

Good luck with it all, just keep focussed on the end result - bubs #2!!

Mr J (April 2005) Miss Z (Feb 2007) and Miss O (Oct 2010)

Wow, everyone is different...yet the same in a way. Reading everyones posts is giving me peace of mind that this is the right decision for me and bub.

I'm just hoping that I can be booked in for 38 weeks because of the 'shows' I've had already and the constant painful braxton hicks pains as well where he pushes down hard whenever I get them (almost like he wants to come out!!). It almost feels like labour could come early...and with the knowledge that my daughter came right on due date is making me want to ensure that I don't start labour, just in case i end up in a full blown panic attack like I've been getting lately and becoming inconsolable.

But like you all said, I'll definitely know on Wednesday where we all stand in the decision. I am just looking forward to being in a position where the only pain I am getting is the recovery from delivering our baby boy. At least then I know WHY it's happening and I would progressively be getting better as the days go by.

What do you usually wear when you go in? Do you have to have old lady undies on before op? What would you recommend being in for recovery? Do they dress you...that would be strange haha!! Oh and another question, is the numbness in your bottom half just like if you were sitting on your feet and they went numb? I hope there are no pins and needles afterwards...that would be painful lol!

What do you usually wear when you go in? Do you have to have old lady undies on before op? What would you recommend being in for recovery? Do they dress you...that would be strange haha!! Oh and another question, is the numbness in your bottom half just like if you were sitting on your feet and they went numb? I hope there are no pins and needles afterwards...that would be painful lol!

They just put the gown on and nothing else when you go in ... no need for granny panties etc until after they get you up the next day as the midwives will "take care of you" until you can do it for yourself.

Once your up and about wear easy clothes - either nighty or loose pants and button down top (if you plan on bfing - easy access, though it's not hard to lift your shirt mind you) and def nothing too good for those first few days once you are up in case of mishap.

Numbness - yes kind of. I found it so strange, esp once my butt when numb and you're trying to move for them - which was impossible by the time they asked if I could still feel it ... I thought I could but I was mistaken! lol

I didn't experience any pins and needles - once I was in recovery I just started trying to move my toes as soon as possible - though I did find that one side came back quicker than the other.
Oh joy...I get to lose even more modesty this time with the midwives 'looking after me' blink

Sign in to follow this topic