Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

What does baby need in NICU? Lock Rss

I forgot to ask at my appointment yesterday (where I got all my other stupid questions out of the way) and I feel SO silly asking this question but do they (babies) wear clothes while they are in intensive care? or just nappies, and hats and are wrapped up?

Just wondering how much gear I need to pack for baby... obviously packing basic things like nappies, wipes, wraps, hats, bibs, booties and some clothes to go home in. Just wondering if I need to pack clothes for him to wear while he is in NICU as well?

Also... how many changes of clothes would I need per day? on average... smile

I forgot to ask at my appointment yesterday (where I got all my other stupid questions out of the way) and I feel SO silly asking this question but do they (babies) wear clothes while they are in intensive care? or just nappies, and hats and are wrapped up?

Just wondering how much gear I need to pack for baby... obviously packing basic things like nappies, wipes, wraps, hats, bibs, booties and some clothes to go home in. Just wondering if I need to pack clothes for him to wear while he is in NICU as well?

I havent had a bub in NICU but I'd guess they'd provide hospital gowns and you'd need nappies, wipes, hats and socks. Wouldnt need bibs or wraps and would only need one outfit per day tops, they may even stay in the same hospital gown thingy for 2-3 days.

At the hospital I had my kids at you didnt need to bring anything, they supplied the lot so only had to bring clothes to take them home in.

My son spent a week in special care and they supplied everything for him. I'd dress him when I took him to feed but would return to find him stripped, cloth nappy off and clothes folded at end of his little cot. smile
All my kids were is Special Care nursery. When in the humidicribs none of them were dressed. Only nappy. they are hooked up to so many leads too hard to dress them. Also they are trying to maintain a constant temeperature so easier to do with nothing on. One of my boys kept on waking himself up when he was three weeks old and still in the humidicrib and they did wrap him to stop him startling himself and that was just with a very small and thin muslan wrap.

Hope that helps good luck with your birth.

My son was in intensive/special care for 5weeks. He spent most of that time in a humidicrib wearing only premmie nappies (as mum+hub+3 says, too many leads etc to have baby dressed in anything and they are kept warm in the h'crib) then when he was moved into an open cot he then started wearing newborn nappies, little outfits (less leads then) and wrapped to keep warm. Too cute smile

The hospital provided all the nappies, wraps and outfits. I did offer to bring some of my own newborn nappies in but was kindly told I didn't need too. And as for clothes I was also told not to worry as they had clothes available. Plus if I dressed him in his own clothes and i wasnt there at care time they'd end up in the linen basket and I'd never see the clothes again! I only had to worry about an outfit for when he came home in.

Maybe you can ring the intensive care and just ask them what to you may need to do smile I'm sure they'll only be too happy to answer any questions you may have just like I did. Good luck with everything

My son just spent 2 weeks in NICU and we didn't need to provide anything for him until he came home.

For a while he was in a isolet with no clothes on, then once in a cot, they provided all the clothing. They also provide nappies, wipes, bum cream, wraps, blankets etc. The nurses told me it is easier if you don't bring your own clothes until you take them home, that way they don't get lost.

Once he was transferred to the cardiology ward, (he was at the Royal Childrens in Melbourne) he did need his own clothes, but nothing else.

Best of luck for your birth and your little one.
I didn't have to provide anything for DS when he was in SCN either, they changed him from normal clothes into hospital clothes (he was admitted from home) and then used all their own nappies, wraps etc. I know you can leave little beanies for the nurses to dress bub in if you want to, but don't have to.
Best of luck for the birth smile
My daughter spent 4 weeks in NICU, everything she needed was provided for her. I was told in NICU they have little wondersuits etc that have been donated to use for the babies in there.

Mum to 3 gorgeous cheeky kids.

hi my bub was in nicu and special care unit. Everything they will need is there i packed a big bag of stuff and ended up taking it home but in scu it is ok to bring clothes but you still wont need nappies bath wash ect good luck with everything
Sign in to follow this topic