Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Caesarean Births
  5. Elective c sections in public hospitals

Elective c sections in public hospitals Lock Rss

Hi everyone,
My husband and I are trying for our next child but after a traumatic recovery after the birth of our first child (I have had on going for two years, a condition resulting from the birth and terrible problems including PND due to pain and rejecting my baby because of this) I am wanting to have an elective c section but I am just a public patient.
My husband and I originally decided against another child so I did not have to go through this again but the want for another has over powered us but I am nervous I will get pregnant and then no hospital will let me have an elective.
I truly believe it would be best for my family,body and relationship with my yet to be born baby.
So I was wondering if anyone had any experience with an elective at either joondi or Ozzie park and if you had to fight for it? I have a physio and gyno prepared to write me letters explaining it would be best for me to have one as well.
Any advice would be helpful smile thanks

Hi everyone,
My husband and I are trying for our next child but after a traumatic recovery after the birth of our first child (I have had on going for two years, a condition resulting from the birth and terrible problems including PND due to pain and rejecting my baby because of this) I am wanting to have an elective c section but I am just a public patient.
My husband and I originally decided against another child so I did not have to go through this again but the want for another has over powered us but I am nervous I will get pregnant and then no hospital will let me have an elective.
I truly believe it would be best for my family,body and relationship with my yet to be born baby.
So I was wondering if anyone had any experience with an elective at either joondi or Ozzie park and if you had to fight for it? I have a physio and gyno prepared to write me letters explaining it would be best for me to have one as well.
Any advice would be helpful smile thanks

I dont live in your area sorry but why not ring the hospital and see if you can have an elective c section. That might put you at ease..

I dont live in your area sorry but why not ring the hospital and see if you can have an elective c section. That might put you at ease..

Thanks, I had try talking to a number of doctors but thought I'd ring and have another go and got all the answers I needed smile it seems if youve got a reasonable reason for wanting one they are happy to accommodate! No matter if your public or private. Feeling much better about it all now smile
Hi there...

Glad you found your answers smile

Just thought I would confirm that it can be done. I had an elective c section at Armadale Hospital last year. I went as a public patient but was on the GP Own System (I had my own preferred GP who looked after me during pregnancy, during my hospital stay and post-natally, he referred me to the ob/gyn at the public hospital just for the surgery itself).

This was my first baby but they were happy to do the elective c-section as my family (immediate and extended) have all had traumatic deliveries.

My dr's said it was likely that I would also have problems as it seemed to run in the family, and as I was so worried about my upcoming labour/delivery after seeing what my sister in particular went through, my body would probably fight it and not let it happen naturally anyway. So if you personally have already had one traumatic delivery, they should have no concerns following your wishes smile

Good luck with your future pregnancy smile
I had an elective for number 2 as i didnt want to go natural. My midwife in newcastle was very pushy for a VBAC. It waS a public hospital and i eventually got my elective c sec after a few months of being made guilty. They cant refuse you if thats what you want! good luck

1st baby due start of sep

I had an elective for number 2 as i didnt want to go natural. My midwife in newcastle was very pushy for a VBAC. It waS a public hospital and i eventually got my elective c sec after a few months of being made guilty. They cant refuse you if thats what you want! good luck

Thanks girls, yeah I have already had quite a lot of not so helpful or nice opinions thrust on me about my choice. Good to know you can just stick to your guns and get what you want smile now I've got to just let everyone's opinion float past me. Thanks again smile
Sign in to follow this topic