Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

elective caesarean Lock Rss

hi i was just woundering if anybody knew how much a elective caesarean was. i have had 1 emergency caesarean a year and half ago as was taking to long to progress and baby and i was destressed and babies heart rate dropping as had 13 atempted epi as doctor kept hitting nerve in back and was going unconcious so after 25 hours i was able to have caesarean. because of everything went throuh with that birth im to scared of vbac to the point of panicing and getting really upset as i emotionaly wouldnt be able to handle it. with my next i was wanting a elective but am wanting to find out how i go about having one and if there is a cost? am i able to go public or do i have to go private?
Hi,

I had an emergency c-section with my first, and an elective for my second. I am in Aus and went public, did not pay a cent smile

Good luck (I was so happy with my decision second time around)
I had a c-section in the private system and was out of pocket about $3k. Just depends on what your obstetrician charges.
They have an assistant plus the epidural plus the pediatrician it all adds up !
Hi i wanting to have a caesarean with my 2nd for simalar reasons to you, when i ask my doctor she said it cos free though the public system might be different in a different state smile
Hi i wanting to have a caesarean with my 2nd for simalar reasons to you, when i ask my doctor she said it cos free though the public system might be different in a different state smile
I may be wrong but I believe in the past where it has been routine to have elective ceasareans after a previous one. Even though a VBAC are becoming more common I think ceasareans still offered as an option (maybe even the first option dependant and the Health care professional) and should be completely free in the public health care system.
If you want an elective and dont have priv cover and cant afford private go public. You dont pay anything as its through medicare in a public hospital.

I would contact your local hospital and advise them your preg they will get you in to see midwives etc. tell you want a c sec you may get some resistance but stick to your guns.

1st baby due start of sep

thank u all so much its such a happy but scary thing i have tried find out as much as i can online and from other people so i am prepared i just want a more relaxed expereince as last time it effected me seriously and could not enjoy my baby girl as much as possible as was stuck on my back not able to move for 2weeks due to damage from doctor with the epiz
I went public with my first and ended up having an emergency Caesar. My hubby wanted to go private with our second but I was seriously impressed with the public system and didn't want the extra cost. We have ended up going public again. When I first booked in I was assuming that it would be like the 1st time and that the midwives would really pressure me to try natural but it wasn't like that at all. From the first appointment I was told that the decision to VBAC or Caesar was entirely up to me and I would be supported each way. I didn't end up deciding until week 33 that I wanted an elective Caesar. I kept going through the pros and cons but in the end the risks, however small, of VBAC scared me too much. As soon as I decided to have a Caesar I felt a huge weight lift off my shoulders. I am booked in to have it next fri but have been told that I can change my mind at any time - if I go into labour I tell them that I am booked in to have a Caesar and they will do it then but if I am laboring away thinking hang on, this isn't so bad then I can keep trying for natural. The same applied in reverse - I could have told them I wanted to try VBAC and the. If I went into labour and thought - crap, I can't do this then I could have opted for a Caesar, even once in labour. My Caesar is booked 4 days before my due date - at my hospital they won't let you book it any earlier than your 39th week without a medical reason. I'm in NSW.

hi i was just woundering if anybody knew how much a elective caesarean was. i have had 1 emergency caesarean a year and half ago as was taking to long to progress and baby and i was destressed and babies heart rate dropping as had 13 atempted epi as doctor kept hitting nerve in back and was going unconcious so after 25 hours i was able to have caesarean. because of everything went throuh with that birth im to scared of vbac to the point of panicing and getting really upset as i emotionaly wouldnt be able to handle it. with my next i was wanting a elective but am wanting to find out how i go about having one and if there is a cost? am i able to go public or do i have to go private?

Hai i asked my docter for a c sec i was 17 n i just told him i was haven nightmares and i got one at middlemore for free under public helth it was the best thing ive done i was up n walking around bored the day after and 2 weeks later i felt right back to normal
Hi there, if your going to go private make sure you check your health insurance as most have a waiting period for the maternity side of it and a few of my friends have been caught out because of this.
If you wish you can opt for having an elective caesarean in the public system. The treatment and level of care is excellent. Furthermore you are permitted to stay in the hospital for around 5 days in order to aid your recovery. best wishes.
Sign in to follow this topic