Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Caesarean Births
  5. my first c-section is booked... what should I expect??

my first c-section is booked... what should I expect?? Lock Rss

Hi All,

Hope you're all having a great weekend!

So I had an antenatal appointment few days ago and my placenta is in the wrong spot, meaning I now have to have a caesarean... which is totally fine with me... BUT, as majority of the focus of when your pregnant is based on education surrounding vaginal births, I have realised I don't actually know as much about what to expect with a C-sect. I know how the procedure itself is done, and everyone keeps harping on that I won't be able to do much for 6-8 weeks... but I just want to know how realistic this is. I know everyone is different and recovery is different for everyone...

So I guess what I'd want to know is, what was others experiences like?

Is there anything you would reccomend doing in the days leading up to surgery, anything specific you wish you had brought in to hospital with you for your stay and what was your recovery like?

Was there anything about the actual procedure and recovery that you wish you had known about prior to procedure, that came as a suprise to you... do you have any tips?

smile

I had a c-section for my second. I found the recovery very easy, was up and walking around the day after the c-section and out furniture shopping for our new house (in short bursts) three weeks later. My advice from my own experience would be:

* take the pain relief they offer you in hospital. There is plenty of time to be superwoman once you get home and it's better to get up and about after surgery too avoid clots and promote healing.
* put a pad on your wound to stop any sweating from the c-section belly apron smile to help avoid infection.
* don't over do it with bending type movements.
* I slept on my back propped up for a couple of weeks because it was too tender to sleep on my side for a while.

And my most important piece of advice - just because you have a set date be sure to pack your bag early 'just in case'. I ended up going into labour 2 weeks before and hadn't packed my own hospital bag. Take it from me - you do not want your husband to pack your bag for you smile

Good luck.

Hi there smile
I have had a csection with both my kids! With DS it was 'emergency' cos I was having contractions before the booked date and he got distressed and with DD it was the standard elective booked one cos she was in no hurry to move before the date!
I LOVED both births. I was so surprised that I healed faster than what I'd been told n what drs expected! I felt FINE 24-48hrs afterwards n when waking around! Maybe I'm a freak of nature lol. Being young n healthy would've helped but I do just heal fast even with cuts, broken bones etc smile
The only part that I found unpleasant was the spinal anaesthetic which just feels horrible going in... They give u jabs of local do it doesn't hurt but the pressure n jiggling it round in between vertebrae and injecting the fluid feels so weird n I could barely stop shaking when they did my 2nd to have DD cos I remembered the feeling too well :/ but all in all I loved my csections and having another with baby #3 grin
I will say definitely keep up the painkillers after birth. Tale them as regularly as u can even if u feel fine at the time cos otherwise the pain can get on top of u n then ur WAITING for painkillers to kick in which sucks! I only needed panadeine for first 24hrs n then the odd panadol for a couple of days...
Of u over do it u will know cos u'll be very sore. Don't lift anything heavier than ur baby - they say for at least 6wks though I was fine to do it after 4 (obviously nothing too heavy though)... Umm and drink lots n lots of Fluids and keep up on fibre intake so u don't get constipated before that first bowel movement! They ask u heaps until u have ur first one to make sure ur bowel hasn't shut down after the csection (can happen if they bump the bowel too much I'm surgery or nick it!)... Have loose underwear that DON'T sit or put any pressure on ur wound (bikini line usually) cos it irritates n can really hurt.
Have a good pillow for feeding bub on... U don't want extra wait on ur belly so my midwives gave me extra pillows but I wish I'd taken my U-shaped (boomerang) pillow in cos they're great for feeding! smile
Most hospitals don't do it now unless necessary but if they even mention it don't let them separate u from bub! I didn't have DS til after I got back to my room from recovery (45mins in there) n they gave him a bottle without my permission too. Screwed up his feeding heaps. With DD she stayed with me the whole time! And I fed her in recovery smile much better start!
Hmm I'll keep thinking about it but I'm having a mind blank ATM lol.
I wish u all the best for a safe uncomplicated and pleasant birth experience grin good luck smile xx

Shell_09_11 wrote:
I had a c-section for my second. I found the recovery very easy, was up and walking around the day after the c-section and out furniture shopping for our new house (in short bursts) three weeks later. My advice from my own experience would be:

* take the pain relief they offer you in hospital. There is plenty of time to be superwoman once you get home and it's better to get up and about after surgery too avoid clots and promote healing.
* put a pad on your wound to stop any sweating from the c-section belly apron smile to help avoid infection.
* don't over do it with bending type movements.
* I slept on my back propped up for a couple of weeks because it was too tender to sleep on my side for a while.

And my most important piece of advice - just because you have a set date be sure to pack your bag early 'just in case'. I ended up going into labour 2 weeks before and hadn't packed my own hospital bag. Take it from me - you do not want your husband to pack your bag for you smile

Good luck.

+1
I agree definitely have bag packed early to go just in case! I was lucky I had mine packed after so many early labour issues but I had a friend who hadn't packed hers n was rushed in for emergency csection n her DH couldn't even follow her basic list of what to pack lol! They say ur bag should be packed BY 36wks anyway as a guide for any birth plan cos things do happen!! X

Thanks ladies! It's so nice to hear other people's experiences smile

I've had mine and bubs bags packed for weeks, but repacked my bag today to put nighties and granny panties in it instead, thinking about where my surgical wound would be situated so nothing would sit on my wound.

How long did it take for everyone's milk to come in and how long did you spend in hospital?

Thanks again! smile

With DS my milk came in on day 3... I woke up that morning soaked from lying on my boobs :/ lol. God they hurt from being so full at first! And I stayed on hospital the standard 5 days (4 full nights) after csection cos he was my first n they like to make sure ur healing ok and have feeding established with good milk supply smile smile
With DD milk came in only 18-24hrs after she was born! Apparently the midwives it can happen quicker with subsequent babies but I didn't know that so wasn't expecting it lol! Cos she was my 2nd and I heal super well and she fed well I got out on morning/lunch of day 3 (after 2 nights in) grin

Wow that's great!!! I hope I have the same luck as you. I hate being in hospital, I get cabin fever after the 6 hour mark! grin hopefully the time flies in there.
How long til u drove ur car again?

Lol I'm the same in hospitals!! I get restless n just want OUT lol tongue
I have my Ls n started back doing my driving lessons like a week after DS was born and I drove the car home from hospital after having DD a few days before! Mind u that was only short trips down town til about 3wks post op when I went on a longer drive to Sydney (5hrs with regular breaks) - I just made sure I stopped when I needed too n the belt wasn't sitting to low! X

grin that's good to know! People keep telling me I won't be able to drive for 6 to 8 weeks post op. I keep thinkin STUFF THAT! I'd go crazy not being able to drive myself and get out of the house for that long! :S

Yeah I'd heard that too, unless u have it in writing from ur dr that ur good to drive and wound had healed. Seems like such a long time! sad

u just need to check your insurance policy with this one... mine didnt say anything about it, so therefore good to drive & covered if i had an accident.. smile
He wiped his hands clean of any responsibility when I was 8 weeks preg and he preferred to spend his time sleeping around, I haven't heard from him in 7 months, so it's all up to me. Ive got mum with me for couple of weeks post op, will just see how I am after that smile

Sign in to follow this topic