Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Starting to feel let down.... Lock Rss

Hi Ladies,

Well it's been 4 1/2wks since i gave birth to my precious little girl Willow, and for some reason, my birthing experience is only just starting to hit me now.
It wasn't the best birth and i feel like the hospital really let me down. My waters broke at 36+5 and ended up haveing to have an emergency c-section. You see, my baby girl was breech, and she didn't turn during labour, turns out she was breech for quite awhile due to the rather large flat spot on her head from the way she was sitting.
Not 1 midwife/doc picked this up until I felt something coming out during my labour, which was her foot. Not once during my entire pregnancy get an internal done, at all. Not even when I first went into hospital with my broken waters, the only time I was check is when I called for a midwife and told her I could feel something coming out - and she looked at me as if I was being ridiculas! And because it was such an emergency emergency c-section (if that makes sense) I had to be knocked out for the procedure and my partner ultimatley wasn't allow'd in theatre with me... So neither of us were "there" for our daughters birth sad
When it first happen'd, i think it just all went over my head as it all happen'd to so quick, but now that i've had a chance to really take it in, I'm disappointed/upset that it happen'd the way it did. I'm completely grateful that my baby girl arrived safely and healthy, there's just that little niggly pi**ed off feeling in me.
Is it just me or did the hospital stuff it up??

Sorry for the rant... just needed to vent that a bit ><

It's no wonder you feel the way you did, you probably feel a bit "robbed" of the experience you wanted. I'm surprised no-one seemed to pick up the breech position if she had been like that for so long. Can you ask to see your file, is it possible they picked it up but just didn't mention it to you? Not that that makes it any better, but it would be somewhere to start from. You know, find out all the facts first, then complain! You should have been prepared for what would happen if bubs didn't turn in time.
I'm sorry you didn't have the birth experience you were hoping for. Couldn't read and run, http://www.birthrites.org/ is a WA based group for healing after a c/s but I think you'll still find some helpful info and may help to chat to others with a similar experience. I think there are also links for support services in other states too.
I'm sorry it wasn't an enjoyable experience and it must be hard to accept that neither of you got to see your daughter born.

As for the breech thing, sometimes they can't tell what position baby is in. It is a shame it was missed but it's not uncommon for this to happen. And they do not routinely do internals in pregnancy as this increases risk of infection, so it is usually only done a very limited number of times either just before labour or during. Even if they did an internal, they would not have known she was breech until labour progressed far enough that they could feel a head (or in your case a foot).

It's ok to feel disappointed and also very normal to feel this way when the birth did not go how you hoped and planned, but from what you have described I don't think the hospital did anything terribly wrong, unfortunately birth is unpredictable. At the end of the day, you can't change it and it is better to just accept that it was your daughters birth story and the beginning of her journey. I was not happy with some aspects of my own girl's birth and the post partum period when there were some big mistakes made, it took me a good year to move on from it and accept that this was just how it was, and that it was the beginning of her story.

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

It is very hard when your birth doesn't excatly go to plan! I had a ceasarean with my first bub too and at the time was fine with the outcome. It wasn't until a few days later i couldn't talk about the birth without bursting into tears. I ended up going to see a counseller two weeks after bub was born and was able to talk through the birth experience, as she was a midwife at the private hospital who counselled women. It was by far the best thing i could have done and after a few sessions with her i was able to accept that this was my birth story. Perhaps your hospital offers this service?? Hopefully you can start to feel better about the situation with time x
It is very hard when your birth doesn't excatly go to plan! I had a ceasarean with my first bub too and at the time was fine with the outcome. It wasn't until a few days later i couldn't talk about the birth without bursting into tears. I ended up going to see a counseller two weeks after bub was born and was able to talk through the birth experience, as she was a midwife at the private hospital who counselled women. It was by far the best thing i could have done and after a few sessions with her i was able to accept that this was my birth story. Perhaps your hospital offers this service?? Hopefully you can start to feel better about the situation with time x
Thanks Ladies,

I think i've accepted the fact it did happen, and understand that breech babies are not always picked up until such times as foot appear's, I think it's just the thought of our baby coming into this world without her mum or dad there to hold her/comfort her when she was born.
I much rather it happen'd the way it did then something terrible go wrong, so I am grateful for that. And we are definatley loving every moment of parenthood, whether it went how i thought it would or not xx

Sign in to follow this topic